P5GDC Audio Question

I have loaded the CMI9880 software ans I have one problem (so far).

The settings I apply for "Smart Jack Setting" rear panel are not
retained after I reboot the system. I can find no method of explicitly
saving the settings. This is a nuisance.

What am I missing?

Bruce Murray

Paul

Splendid

In article <9iAFd.27$1l2.22@trndny05>, bruce.s.murray@verizon.net wrote:

> I have loaded the CMI9880 software ans I have one problem (so far).
>
> The settings I apply for "Smart Jack Setting" rear panel are not
> retained after I reboot the system. I can find no method of explicitly
> saving the settings. This is a nuisance.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Bruce Murray

There is a tech support webpage for Cmedia here.
Doesn't look like they're interested in 9880 reports, as that
chip isn't in their device list. I wouldn't let that stop
you from filing a report. If you get an email response
back from them, then perhaps you can give them a more
detailed review of their product.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/etech-re2.asp

* Jack sense won't remember settings
* Microphone boost ? No 20dB gain block
* Whatever else you find.

And if that doesn't work, try sending an email to "webmaster"
@ cmedia.com.tw , with instructions to forward your report
to tech support. If enough people complain, it may do more
than waiting for Asus to beat an update out of them. The
webmaster trick doesn't always work, but depending on how
annoyed you are with their product, you may feel better
afterwards.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <9iAFd.27$1l2.22@trndny05>, bruce.s.murray@verizon.net wrote:

> I have loaded the CMI9880 software ans I have one problem (so far).
>
> The settings I apply for "Smart Jack Setting" rear panel are not
> retained after I reboot the system. I can find no method of explicitly
> saving the settings. This is a nuisance.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Bruce Murray

There is one thread on CMI9880 problems on abxzone.com

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80650

Microsoft has a driver called UAA, and I think the Cmedia
GUI talks to the Microsoft driver. This is the KB article
announcing the driver.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835221

Asus has a new version of the CMI9880 files queued on one of
their FTP servers, but there aren't HTML links to the files yet.
There is no change log in the package (what geniuses). Asus
should split the damn thing into two pieces (Microsoft as one
piece, and Cmedia as the other). The most recent date on a file
in the package, is Oct27/2004.

Unzip the three parts, then execute the first part. Unrar will
prepare the CMI folder. The "BusDriver" folder contains 32MB
of Microsoft's stuff, for 26 different locales. Too bad this
part cannot be a 1MB single language download from Microsoft
themselves.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-1.zip
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-2.zip
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-3.zip

Post back if your symptoms change. There are other people waiting
for the saving of setup info to be fixed as well.

Paul

Thank you Paul

I downloaded the zip files you listed, ran them, and did the set up.

On my first try , the audio configuration window showed useful rear jack
allocations, however no sound came from the rear jack allocated to
"Front Speaker".

I then enabled Multiple Streaming from the device setting panel and
EUREKA it worked.

So I think I am fine now

Many Thanks

Paul wrote:
> In article <9iAFd.27$1l2.22@trndny05>, bruce.s.murray@verizon.net wrote:
>

>>I have loaded the CMI9880 software ans I have one problem (so far).
>>
>>The settings I apply for "Smart Jack Setting" rear panel are not
>>retained after I reboot the system. I can find no method of explicitly
>>saving the settings. This is a nuisance.
>>
>>What am I missing?
>>
>>Bruce Murray
>

> There is one thread on CMI9880 problems on abxzone.com
>
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80650
>
> Microsoft has a driver called UAA, and I think the Cmedia
> GUI talks to the Microsoft driver. This is the KB article
> announcing the driver.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835221
>
> Asus has a new version of the CMI9880 files queued on one of
> their FTP servers, but there aren't HTML links to the files yet.
> There is no change log in the package (what geniuses). Asus
> should split the damn thing into two pieces (Microsoft as one
> piece, and Cmedia as the other). The most recent date on a file
> in the package, is Oct27/2004.
>
> Unzip the three parts, then execute the first part. Unrar will
> prepare the CMI folder. The "BusDriver" folder contains 32MB
> of Microsoft's stuff, for 26 different locales. Too bad this
> part cannot be a 1MB single language download from Microsoft
> themselves.
>
> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-1.zip
> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-2.zip
> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-3.zip
>
> Post back if your symptoms change. There are other people waiting
> for the saving of setup info to be fixed as well.
>
> Paul

Well

As Roseannadanna used to say "there's always something".

I can get no sound from the front panel audio connector shown on p2-37
of the manual.

I have tried both ports 1L&R and 2L&R

Any clues?

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Murray wrote:
> Thank you Paul
>
> I downloaded the zip files you listed, ran them, and did the set up.
>
> On my first try , the audio configuration window showed useful rear jack
> allocations, however no sound came from the rear jack allocated to
> "Front Speaker".
>
> I then enabled Multiple Streaming from the device setting panel and
> EUREKA it worked.
>
> So I think I am fine now
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Paul wrote:
>
>> In article <9iAFd.27$1l2.22@trndny05>, bruce.s.murray@verizon.net wrote:
>>

>>> I have loaded the CMI9880 software ans I have one problem (so far).
>>>
>>> The settings I apply for "Smart Jack Setting" rear panel are not
>>> retained after I reboot the system. I can find no method of
>>> explicitly saving the settings. This is a nuisance.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Bruce Murray
>>

>> There is one thread on CMI9880 problems on abxzone.com
>>
>> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80650
>>
>> Microsoft has a driver called UAA, and I think the Cmedia
>> GUI talks to the Microsoft driver. This is the KB article
>> announcing the driver.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835221
>>
>> Asus has a new version of the CMI9880 files queued on one of
>> their FTP servers, but there aren't HTML links to the files yet.
>> There is no change log in the package (what geniuses). Asus
>> should split the damn thing into two pieces (Microsoft as one
>> piece, and Cmedia as the other). The most recent date on a file
>> in the package, is Oct27/2004.
>>
>> Unzip the three parts, then execute the first part. Unrar will
>> prepare the CMI folder. The "BusDriver" folder contains 32MB
>> of Microsoft's stuff, for 26 different locales. Too bad this
>> part cannot be a 1MB single language download from Microsoft
>> themselves.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-1.zip
>>
>> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-2.zip
>>
>> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-3.zip
>>

>> Post back if your symptoms change. There are other people waiting
>> for the saving of setup info to be fixed as well.
>>
>> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <DSRFd.1522$av2.750@trndny02>, bruce.s.murray@verizon.net wrote:

> Well
>
> As Roseannadanna used to say "there's always something".
>
> I can get no sound from the front panel audio connector shown on p2-37
> of the manual.
>
> I have tried both ports 1L&R and 2L&R
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruce

There are two configurations for the AAFP header. A so-called
AC-97 configuration, and the Azalia configuration. Judging by
your terminology, you have the BIOS "Front Panel Support Type"
set to Azalia.

When the header is in Azalia mode, notice it has some port sense
pins. As far as I know, these are contact closures, but your
average computer case probably doesn't have those closures yet.

The AC-97 mode is a simple output mode, and maybe it'll work better
for you. For some reason, the Bline signals are missing on the
header, and if you have a couple of wires left over from your
computer case, don't sweat it. I think, with so many ports on the
Azalia chip, there is no need to loop the audio back to the
motherboard, and that is why, with the AAFP header, set in
AC-97 mode, you should only need three wires (Lineout_R,
Lineout_L, and AGND), to get a working set of headphones.

For your reference, try this document which has been updated to
take into account Azalia HDaudio configurations:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604.pdf

Figure 2 on page 20, shows an AC-97 header config. The computer
case jacks used, had five pins, and have the two contact closures
to route a pair of stereo signals back to the motherboard.

Figure 6 on page 25, shows the Azalia HDaudio header. Notice
how the audio jack on the computer case end is different. The
jack still has five pins, but it only has one contact closure,
and the contact pair is isolated from the audio signals
themselves. Few computer cases will be using that jack type.

Looking at the wiring there, I bet if the BIOS was set to
Azalia mode, the "Presence#" pin is grounded (meaning an Azalia
computer case is plugged in), and then you connect "sense_send"
pin 7 signal, to both "sense1_return" pin 6 and "sense2_return"
pin 10, the motherboard sound chip would interpret the signals
seen on the two sense_return pins as meaning you have plugged
something into both ports. That should cause the sound chip
control panel to pop up, and you can then set the ports to
whatever you want (mic or headphone).

That solution stinks a bit, because it will always look like
two devices are plugged in all the time, even when you aren't
using them. I only presented the description in the previous
paragraph, to show how it works. And, using some SPST switches,
to fake the Azalia jack contacts, would also be an ugly
kludge (flip switches, to use mic or headphones).

BTW: Are the port settings being remembered across reboots,
when using the new drivers ?

HTH,
Paul

> Bruce Murray wrote:
> > Thank you Paul
> >
> > I downloaded the zip files you listed, ran them, and did the set up.
> >
> > On my first try , the audio configuration window showed useful rear jack
> > allocations, however no sound came from the rear jack allocated to
> > "Front Speaker".
> >
> > I then enabled Multiple Streaming from the device setting panel and
> > EUREKA it worked.
> >
> > So I think I am fine now
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Paul wrote:

> >> There is one thread on CMI9880 problems on abxzone.com
> >>
> >> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80650
> >>
> >> Microsoft has a driver called UAA, and I think the Cmedia
> >> GUI talks to the Microsoft driver. This is the KB article
> >> announcing the driver.
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835221
> >>
> >> Asus has a new version of the CMI9880 files queued on one of
> >> their FTP servers, but there aren't HTML links to the files yet.
> >> There is no change log in the package (what geniuses). Asus
> >> should split the damn thing into two pieces (Microsoft as one
> >> piece, and Cmedia as the other). The most recent date on a file
> >> in the package, is Oct27/2004.
> >>
> >> Unzip the three parts, then execute the first part. Unrar will
> >> prepare the CMI folder. The "BusDriver" folder contains 32MB
> >> of Microsoft's stuff, for 26 different locales. Too bad this
> >> part cannot be a 1MB single language download from Microsoft
> >> themselves.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-1.zip

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-2.zip

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-3.zip

> >> Post back if your symptoms change. There are other people waiting
> >> for the saving of setup info to be fixed as well.
> >>
> >> Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your information. I will reply point by point as far as I
can and then tell you what my work around is.

Paul wrote:
> In article <DSRFd.1522$av2.750@trndny02>, bruce.s.murray@verizon.net wrote:
>

>>Well
>>
>>As Roseannadanna used to say "there's always something".
>>
>>I can get no sound from the front panel audio connector shown on p2-37
>>of the manual.
>>
>>I have tried both ports 1L&R and 2L&R
>>
>>Any clues?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Bruce
>

> There are two configurations for the AAFP header. A so-called
> AC-97 configuration, and the Azalia configuration. Judging by
> your terminology, you have the BIOS "Front Panel Support Type"
> set to Azalia.
Yes I did

> When the header is in Azalia mode, notice it has some port sense
> pins. As far as I know, these are contact closures, but your
> average computer case probably doesn't have those closures yet.

That is true, there are no closure contact on my case, an Enermax
CS-800TA. However the C-Media Main setting control panel in the front
panel section shows the selected icon in bold and not shaded as it is
for the rear output connectors when the plug is absent. I assume that
this is done by ASUS to accomodate the lack of port sense switches on
most cases.
The diagram on page 5-11 of the manual seems to suggest that Smart Jack
settings are only used for the rear panel.
> The AC-97 mode is a simple output mode, and maybe it'll work better
> for you. For some reason, the Bline signals are missing on the
> header, and if you have a couple of wires left over from your
> computer case, don't sweat it. I think, with so many ports on the
> Azalia chip, there is no need to loop the audio back to the
> motherboard, and that is why, with the AAFP header, set in
> AC-97 mode, you should only need three wires (Lineout_R,
> Lineout_L, and AGND), to get a working set of headphones.
This is what I have tried.
BIOS set to Azalea Enabled and AAFP set to Azalia.
Checked headphone output at pins 1 & 3(port1 L/R) or at pins 5 & 9 (port
2L/R). No output in either case. I did check electrical continuity and
headphone performance so I know the obvious is not defective.
Then I reset the AAFP to AC97 and tried pins 5 & 9. Again no signal.

I had hoped to be able to have the earphones and the front speakers work
at the same time, but this doesn't happen. If on the rear panel, you
select earphone on one jack, say the black one, and select front
speakers on the lime jack, only the front speakers will work. If you
then unplug the front speakers, the headphone will work.
So it doesn't look like you can have both running at the same time even
though you can select them on the front panel.

Therefore my plan is to ignore the AAFP and run the front panel jacks
through to the back. I wanted to have on the front panel, a headphone
jack that would silence the front speakers when it was plugged in and
also a line input jack so that I could conveniently record from external
audio sources.

This does not seem to be viable approach, so I must resort to stone-age
analog switched jacks. I'll probably just use the front speaker
selection on the rear panel with a cable running from it though to a new
switched jack on the front panel.
The mic front panel jack will be wired through to the rear panel as well.

While I appreciate the cleverness of the Azalea system, sometimes these
things just seem to be too smart for their own good.

> For your reference, try this document which has been updated to
> take into account Azalia HDaudio configurations:
>
> http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604.pdf

Yes I looked at this very useful document and appreciate the points you
make below.

> Figure 2 on page 20, shows an AC-97 header config. The computer
> case jacks used, had five pins, and have the two contact closures
> to route a pair of stereo signals back to the motherboard.
>
> Figure 6 on page 25, shows the Azalia HDaudio header. Notice
> how the audio jack on the computer case end is different. The
> jack still has five pins, but it only has one contact closure,
> and the contact pair is isolated from the audio signals
> themselves. Few computer cases will be using that jack type.
>
> Looking at the wiring there, I bet if the BIOS was set to
> Azalia mode, the "Presence#" pin is grounded (meaning an Azalia
> computer case is plugged in), and then you connect "sense_send"
> pin 7 signal, to both "sense1_return" pin 6 and "sense2_return"
> pin 10, the motherboard sound chip would interpret the signals
> seen on the two sense_return pins as meaning you have plugged
> something into both ports. That should cause the sound chip
> control panel to pop up, and you can then set the ports to
> whatever you want (mic or headphone).
>
> That solution stinks a bit, because it will always look like
> two devices are plugged in all the time, even when you aren't
> using them. I only presented the description in the previous
> paragraph, to show how it works. And, using some SPST switches,
> to fake the Azalia jack contacts, would also be an ugly
> kludge (flip switches, to use mic or headphones).
>
> BTW: Are the port settings being remembered across reboots,
> when using the new drivers ?

Yes the ports are being remembered across reboots

> HTH,
> Paul
>

>>Bruce Murray wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you Paul
>>>
>>>I downloaded the zip files you listed, ran them, and did the set up.
>>>
>>>On my first try , the audio configuration window showed useful rear jack
>>>allocations, however no sound came from the rear jack allocated to
>>>"Front Speaker".
>>>
>>>I then enabled Multiple Streaming from the device setting panel and
>>>EUREKA it worked.
>>>
>>>So I think I am fine now
>>>
>>>Many Thanks

> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-1.zip
>

> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-2.zip
>

> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-3.zip

Bruce

> Asus has a new version of the CMI9880 files queued on one of
> their FTP servers, but there aren't HTML links to the files yet.

> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-1.zip
> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-2.zip
> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cmi9880/CMI9880-5120100085161-3.zip

Thanks, Paul!
These new drivers worked like a *charm* on my P5AD2 Premium. :^)

FWIW, I complained to Asus about this problem and got a response, but
nothing at _all_ useful. They simply told me to keep checking their site
for driver upgrades. Boo hiss! >:^P

Tom S

Do these work with a P5GDC to correct the omission of the 20db gain
option?