hard drive failure?

i have a message come up when my computer boots from start up it reads as follows.
SMART FAILURE predicted on . primary master :maxtor 6Y060L0.
warning immeadiately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive .
a failure may be imminent.

and on top of that my cd-rom wont read any disks .
and now my computer thinks my printer is a external disk drive . drive F:

basically i am stumped. any help very much appreciated.
steve.p

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

the smart system error is basicaly that. somethign failed the smart
diagnostic, first you should go ahead and either back everythign up to
another drive (or whatever media you choose) or replace the drive.

as for the rest, it could be possible that the failing drive has somethign
to do with it. it also could be that somethign has become wrong with the IDE
controler and it is causing everythign though a round about way. Windows xp
will attemp to fix some issues it encounters so that might explain the
printer issue based on the drive issue. It may even be contected to the
cdrom issue.

After replacing the drive, you will have the opertunity to go deeper into
the matter and see what is happening. If you unfamilier with testing some of
that stuff, (and it might need some programs to do it) you might be better
off taking it to a shop and let them fix it for you.

I have seen drives last 2 years after the smart system throws an error and i
have seen the fail within days so backing up your data might be the first
priority of the matter. Usually when the smart warning cones up (wich should
before windows xp is even in the picture). IT is somethign with the drive.

steve.p wrote:

> i have a message come up when my computer boots from start up it reads as follows.
> SMART FAILURE predicted on . primary master :maxtor 6Y060L0.
> warning immeadiately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive .
> a failure may be imminent.
>
> and on top of that my cd-rom wont read any disks .
> and now my computer thinks my printer is a external disk drive . drive F:
>
> basically i am stumped. any help very much appreciated.
> steve.p

The major item common to all those disjoint pieces of hardware is the
power supply.
--
Cheers, Bob

Mike

Splendid

Stop using the computer NOW.. go buy a new HD and install it into the
computer as master/standalone.. disconnect the old drive.. reload XP and
anything else onto the new drive.. ensure that all is working as it should..
now connect the old drive up as a slave to the new one.. slaves are not
taxed as heavily as the boot drive.. copy anything across that is
important.. import your OE settings and favourites to the new drive.. when
you feel that everything has been recovered to the new drive, remove the old
one and do what you will with it..

Mike wrote:
> Stop using the computer NOW.. go buy a new HD and install it into the
> computer as master/standalone.. disconnect the old drive.. reload XP
> and anything else onto the new drive.. ensure that all is working as
> it should.. now connect the old drive up as a slave to the new one..
> slaves are not taxed as heavily as the boot drive.. copy anything
> across that is important.<snip>

Sound advice.

May not be neccessary though. If you do chose to go this route, you
should be able to image the slave to the master. There should be
software that comes with your new harddrive that allows you to copy the
data 1:1 from the old drive to the new one.

----
Nathan McNulty

S.Heenan wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>>Stop using the computer NOW.. go buy a new HD and install it into the
>>computer as master/standalone.. disconnect the old drive.. reload XP
>>and anything else onto the new drive.. ensure that all is working as
>>it should.. now connect the old drive up as a slave to the new one..
>>slaves are not taxed as heavily as the boot drive.. copy anything
>>across that is important.<snip>
>

> Sound advice.

Especially if the drive is under warranty, go to the manufacturers web
site and get their diagnostics and run them. It will tell you more
about what is going on. But I would check all cables, data and power
while you are inside the box.

Nathan McNulty wrote:

> May not be neccessary though. If you do chose to go this route, you
> should be able to image the slave to the master. There should be
> software that comes with your new harddrive that allows you to copy the
> data 1:1 from the old drive to the new one.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> S.Heenan wrote:
>
>> Mike wrote:
>>
>>> Stop using the computer NOW.. go buy a new HD and install it into the
>>> computer as master/standalone.. disconnect the old drive.. reload XP
>>> and anything else onto the new drive.. ensure that all is working as
>>> it should.. now connect the old drive up as a slave to the new one..
>>> slaves are not taxed as heavily as the boot drive.. copy anything
>>> across that is important.<snip>
>>

>> Sound advice.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:17:16 -0700, "steve.p"
<stevep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have a message come up when my computer boots from start up it reads as follows.
>SMART FAILURE predicted on . primary master :maxtor 6Y060L0.

Did it give you the odds?! lol If not, just disable smart. Its
pretty much worthless in most cases.

Run scandisk or chkdsk...and make regular backups...AND restores. A
backup is WORTHLESS unless yer certain you can restore it.

If yer really concerned, run the drive diagnostic program from the
drive manufacturer.

>warning immeadiately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive .
> a failure may be imminent.

>and on top of that my cd-rom wont read any disks .

Burned?...store bought?...or both. This may be an unrelated problem.

>and now my computer thinks my printer is a external disk drive . drive F:
>
>basically i am stumped. any help very much appreciated.
> steve.p

Re-letter all optical drives...to R for ROM and W for write. Then
reboot and get back to us.

You should ALWAYS re-letter any optical drives to the end of the
alphabet...especially if you have more than 1 partition on the
system...or add cameras, card readers, etc.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Mike

Splendid

It all depends on how important one's data is, and whether the drive will
hold up until the OP manages to image the drive.. Maxtor utilities will pass
the drive as ok, but it will still fail in time.. if the OP gets another
drive, it can be set up, and all important files can be saved easily.. if
the old drive is then low level formatted, re-partitioned and formatted, it
will hold up for use as a slave drive.. I say all of this from my own
experience with Maxtor drives.. if the OP continues to use the drive until
it fails, he will still have to get another drive AND pay out for a file
recovery program..

"Mike Powers" <mikepowers5@cox.net> wrote in message
> Especially if the drive is under warranty, go to the manufacturers web
> site and get their diagnostics and run them. It will tell you more
> about what is going on. But I would check all cables, data and power
> while you are inside the box.
>
> Nathan McNulty wrote:
>
> > May not be neccessary though. If you do chose to go this route, you
> > should be able to image the slave to the master. There should be
> > software that comes with your new harddrive that allows you to copy the
> > data 1:1 from the old drive to the new one.
> >
> > ----
> > Nathan McNulty
> >

> > S.Heenan wrote:

> >> Sound advice.

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

verry smart advice about the reletering the drives. i have seen issues creep
up and haunt people with that quite a few times.

"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:17:16 -0700, "steve.p"
> <stevep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >i have a message come up when my computer boots from start up it reads as
follows.
> >SMART FAILURE predicted on . primary master :maxtor 6Y060L0.
>
> Did it give you the odds?! lol If not, just disable smart. Its
> pretty much worthless in most cases.
>
> Run scandisk or chkdsk...and make regular backups...AND restores. A
> backup is WORTHLESS unless yer certain you can restore it.
>
> If yer really concerned, run the drive diagnostic program from the
> drive manufacturer.
>
> >warning immeadiately back up your data and replace your hard disk
drive .
> > a failure may be imminent.
>
> >and on top of that my cd-rom wont read any disks .
>
> Burned?...store bought?...or both. This may be an unrelated problem.
>
> >and now my computer thinks my printer is a external disk drive . drive
F:

> >basically i am stumped. any help very much appreciated.
> > steve.p
>
> Re-letter all optical drives...to R for ROM and W for write. Then
> reboot and get back to us.
>
> You should ALWAYS re-letter any optical drives to the end of the
> alphabet...especially if you have more than 1 partition on the
> system...or add cameras, card readers, etc.
>
> Good luck...let us know.
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> What do you call a smart blonde?
> A golden retriever.

thanks for all your replies after running powermax advanced test (full scan test),
my hard disk (FAILED) the test i am now in contact with maxtor .
THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONES HELP..