Access Denied to Drives XP Pro

Please bear with me I have posted here a couple of times. I am hoping with this addtional information that I didn't write yesterday will be helpful enough to get a resolution

Recently I had a couple of viruses on my desktop using 2K in my registry that I removed. After the removal my desktop would boot, load settings, save settings, and then reboot in a constant loop. Because it did a constant loop I could not access the computer. My solution I thought, was to install 2K again which I did for a total of three times which did not solve the problem.

Out of frustration I decided to install XP which I did, and when the install was complete it gave me a message that a problem in the registry had been corrected. Now I had 4 2K's and XP on the C:drive. I was then able to boot up the original 2K install, however when I would choose XP it would load but I would get a access denied message when trying to access the C:.

Yesterday I removed all the 2K's from the boot.ini with the exception of the orignal 2K and XP. Everything was fine with the exception that I still could not access the C: and other drives when I booted up in XP. I decided that I would re-install XP and see if the access problem could be corrected. During the install I accidently choose to upgrade my 2K to XP instead of doing an install so I could dual boot. Here is my problem, since I can't go back to 2K, I have a 60G hard drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two partitions. XP recognizes and allows acces to all the partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other five show as local disks but I can't access them. Under 2K all the drives had unique labels, now the drives I can't access are labeled local disk.

What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I can't access the drive itself. In disk management it shows the C: drive in the volume list with the type as basic, online, and healthy. The C: and two other partitions are primary on the 60G hard drive and the other four partitions are on extended partition as logical drives. I have truly tried to do everything I know to do but it isn't enough. Any suggestions on how to obtain access? Re-installing doesn't appear to be the solution because it will let me re-install as many times as I want if I have the drive space. Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business. l am a graphic designer with a lot of files that I need access to. Right now reformatting the hard drive is not a option for me.

Sincerely,
Cecelia
1 answer Last reply
More about access denied drives

    See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 Be sure to
    read all of it and follow the instructions.

    "Cecelia" <Cecelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

Windows XP