NV Firewall and Norton Internet Security?

I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization of
the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall (ActiveArmor). This
motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of Norton
Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton LiveUpdate
feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to give it
permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall setings allowing
the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the trick. And, the Nvidia
Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?

fsda wrote:
> I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization of
> the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall (ActiveArmor). This
> motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton Internet Security 2004.
>
> I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of Norton
> Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.
>
> My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton LiveUpdate
> feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to give it
> permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall setings allowing
> the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the trick. And, the Nvidia
> Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is wrong..
>
> Anyone else have this problem?

I had the exact same problem. For some reason the nVidia firewall doesnt
work very well, it blocks certain programms even though you add them to
the allow-list, and blocks traffic to certain sites for the same
unexplained reason. I've asked ASUS to look in on this, as nVidia seems
not to give customer support on this.

I've found a sollution to get Norton Internet Security to work with the
nVidia firewall though. I reset the firewall to factory default,
rebooted, created a new CUSTOM profile based on whichever setting I
liked best - and made sure the Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) was
turned on - I think it was HIGH. Then I reinstalled NIS.

I haven't yet figured out why the firewall blocks traffic to certain
sites, like www.postbank.nl. Using the nVidia firewall, it blocks
outgoing packets to this site, even though I've added it to the
allow-list, even when I use the OFF profile. Odd eh. I've switched to
using the Marvel LAN and the NIS firewall, although this gives a higher
CPU load. I'm very pleased with the NIS antivirus prog, it has done good
work for me for years now.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

RJT wrote:

> I haven't yet figured out why the firewall blocks traffic to certain
> sites, like www.postbank.nl. Using the nVidia firewall, it blocks
> outgoing packets to this site, even though I've added it to the
> allow-list, even when I use the OFF profile. Odd eh. I've switched to
> using the Marvel LAN and the NIS firewall, although this gives a higher
> CPU load. I'm very pleased with the NIS antivirus prog, it has done good
> work for me for years now.

I have the same problem - all I could find with Ethereal was that the
problem websites somehow cause a checksum error on certain outbound TCP
packets. I am guessing that the firewall blocks these packets, leading
to a timeout.

Interestingly, one website that I couldn't access (www.richersounds.com)
has now been redesigned, and I can now access it.

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris wrote:
> I have the same problem - all I could find with Ethereal was that the
> problem websites somehow cause a checksum error on certain outbound TCP
> packets. I am guessing that the firewall blocks these packets, leading
> to a timeout.

It is indeed an interesting problem. I'm affraid I've too little
knowledge of networking protocols to figure this one out, and too little
time to gain the knowledge needed. I hope nVidia find the answer and fix
it - it'd be a shame to have to let the nVidia firewall go to waste, but
as is, it is unusable for me, and I can't recommend it to anyone.