Asus P4V533 Motherboard makes Two Beeps then it Freezes

I have been using Asus P4V533 for 10 months, but it is only now that I
have experienced this problem.

For over a week now, while I am inside Windows XP Pro, the motherboard
will suddenly sound two beeps, then my OS will suddenly freeze. It is
not an OS problem, since it also happens when I am inside the BIOS
menu.

Can anyone suggest what might be the possible cause? My CPU fan is
operating normally. Can it be the power supply or the motherboard
itself? Unfortunately, I don't have other PCs to perform testing (like
swap components).

Paul

Splendid

In article <1105787964.243756.120440@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
rgpangilinan@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have been using Asus P4V533 for 10 months, but it is only now that I
> have experienced this problem.
>
> For over a week now, while I am inside Windows XP Pro, the motherboard
> will suddenly sound two beeps, then my OS will suddenly freeze. It is
> not an OS problem, since it also happens when I am inside the BIOS
> menu.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be the possible cause? My CPU fan is
> operating normally. Can it be the power supply or the motherboard
> itself? Unfortunately, I don't have other PCs to perform testing (like
> swap components).

The last page of this document, suggests checking the memory DIMM is
properly seated. But what you are hearing, may not be classed as a
POST code as such, so the table may not be applicable.

http://www.ami.com/support/downloaddoc.cfm?DLFile=support/doc/AMIBIOS-codes.pdf&FileID=572

I would start with a memory test. Get a copy of memtest86 from
memtest.org . There are a couple of versions - one version will
format a floppy diskette with custom test code (no file system),
while the second version is suitable for burning an ISO CD
test disk. If you have a floppy drive, use the first of those two
methods. Once the floppy or CD is prepared, simply boot from it.

It could also be that the hardware monitor is detecting a problem,
and the next time you boot the machine, enter the BIOS and go to
Power:Hardware_Monitor page. See if any listed voltage or monitored
fan speed is out of spec. Maybe your CPU fan is running too slow
or something. Your ATX power supply outputs (+3.3, +5, +12 etc)
should be within 5% of the nominal value. Due to measurement
error, I would get concerned if the value is high or low by 10%.
It could be, that when there is a computing load, the voltage is
dropping out. You can try Motherboard Monitor (MBM5), for which
support is discontinued, but perhaps downloads are still possible.
Or you could get a copy of Asus Probe. (Go to the Asus download
page, and enter "tools" as the name of the motherboard, and a list
of utilities will appear instead. The following link is a shortcut
to getting there. It looks like version 22304 is the latest.)

http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=Tools&Type=All

MBM5 can log voltage and fan readings to a text file. Asus Probe
does the same thing, only the results are available in a less
convenient graphical form.

You can get a copy of Prime95, from mersenne.org . Use the
"Torture Test" mode, which does a computation for which the
answer is known. The program can detect a CPU computation error
or a memory error (as memtest86 may not find all speed related
faults). The program, as a bonus, also runs at 100% CPU, and
while Prime95 is running, check either MBM5 or Asus Probe, and
see if just after Prime95 torture test starts, a voltage or
fan speed is dropping out.

Only install one monitor program (i.e. MBM5 or Asus Probe) but
not both of them at the same time. On some motherboards that
use the SMBUS for the monitor chip, the two programs interfere
with one another, due to the lack of a semiphore for hardware
use in Asus Probe.

HTH,
Paul

you could try reseating the cpu,ram and vga to see if it clears!