Two cell phones - same phone number?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 28, 2004 10:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I believe that a couple years ago Cingular in Dallas advertised a plan that
enabled 2 cell phones to share the same number - like having landline
extensions. How did it work? First phone answering gets the call? Can
transfer the call to the other phone? Can the other phone make a separate
call? Can they ever share the same call? Etc? Do any carriers offer this
in any major USA cities? TIA, Paul
June 29, 2004 2:33:56 AM

Paul H wrote:

> I believe that a couple years ago Cingular in Dallas advertised a plan that
> enabled 2 cell phones to share the same number - like having landline
> extensions. How did it work? First phone answering gets the call? Can
> transfer the call to the other phone? Can the other phone make a separate
> call? Can they ever share the same call? Etc? Do any carriers offer this
> in any major USA cities? TIA, Paul

Well, it was more than a coupla years ago, but yes, at one time there
was a pre-Cingular service offering that allowed two handsets to share
the same number. Each had it's own ESN, they could each originate calls
independently, inbound calls were answered by the first send button
pressed, one was main, the other the extension. Only the main ESN could
roam, the extension was home-only, no transer of calls or conferencing
between the two.

That service has gone the way of the dodo bird.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cbqnpn$qur@library1.airnews.net>, gdunn@airmail.ten says...
> Paul H wrote:
>
> > I believe that a couple years ago Cingular in Dallas advertised a plan that
> > enabled 2 cell phones to share the same number - like having landline
> > extensions. How did it work? First phone answering gets the call? Can
> > transfer the call to the other phone? Can the other phone make a separate
> > call? Can they ever share the same call? Etc? Do any carriers offer this
> > in any major USA cities? TIA, Paul
> >

> Well, it was more than a coupla years ago, but yes, at one time there
> was a pre-Cingular service offering that allowed two handsets to share
> the same number. Each had it's own ESN, they could each originate calls
> independently, inbound calls were answered by the first send button
> pressed, one was main, the other the extension. Only the main ESN could
> roam, the extension was home-only, no transer of calls or conferencing
> between the two.
>
> That service has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Yep, I had it for a year or so. The statement "inbound calls were
answered by the first send button pressed" didn't happen though. The
call went to the first phone THAT RESPONDED TO THE TOWER--the other
phone would not even ring. The built-in 3 watt mobile phone on my boat
with external marine antenna almost ALWAYS beat the other one unless I
was practically sitting under a tower. I therefore had to remember to
turn off the boat phone when leaving. After having to make a special
trip back to the boat several times to turn off the phone because I
couldn't receive calls I finally switched the boat phone to a 2nd number
on the same account and used call forwarding when there.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> In article <cbqnpn$qur@library1.airnews.net>, gdunn@airmail.ten says...
>
>>Paul H wrote:
>>

>>>I believe that a couple years ago Cingular in Dallas advertised a plan that
>>>enabled 2 cell phones to share the same number - like having landline
>>>extensions. How did it work? First phone answering gets the call? Can
>>>transfer the call to the other phone? Can the other phone make a separate
>>>call? Can they ever share the same call? Etc? Do any carriers offer this
>>>in any major USA cities? TIA, Paul
>>>

>>Well, it was more than a coupla years ago, but yes, at one time there
>>was a pre-Cingular service offering that allowed two handsets to share
>>the same number. Each had it's own ESN, they could each originate calls
>>independently, inbound calls were answered by the first send button
>>pressed, one was main, the other the extension. Only the main ESN could
>>roam, the extension was home-only, no transer of calls or conferencing
>>between the two.
>>
>>That service has gone the way of the dodo bird.
>>

> Yep, I had it for a year or so. The statement "inbound calls were
> answered by the first send button pressed" didn't happen though. The
> call went to the first phone THAT RESPONDED TO THE TOWER--the other
> phone would not even ring. The built-in 3 watt mobile phone on my boat
> with external marine antenna almost ALWAYS beat the other one unless I
> was practically sitting under a tower. I therefore had to remember to
> turn off the boat phone when leaving. After having to make a special
> trip back to the boat several times to turn off the phone because I
> couldn't receive calls I finally switched the boat phone to a 2nd number
> on the same account and used call forwarding when there.

Well, not having the service for myself, I can see where I misunderstood
that point. And now, having allowed my left brain cell to communicate
coherently with my right brain cell, this makes sense. The ESN that
answered the system page (first) would be the one to get the ring signal
on the reverse control channel of the appropriate cell - the other ESN
would get dusted. Holy cow, no wonder that service died. Thank you for
your clarification.

--
!