Sign in with
Your question

uptime!

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2001 4:20:16 PM

The uptime on the cluster I'm working on just passed 100 days. That's 12 single CPU boxes & a 4 way server. One of the single CPU boxes that I use as a terminal has an uptime of 136 days. It didn't have to be shutdown & moved when the rest of the cluster was.

These boxes are running CPU intensive distributed sims, used as a compile farm, and occasionally used for single CPU jobs pretty much 24/7.

Linux Rocks! :smile:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

More about : uptime

May 27, 2001 10:18:07 AM

You got that right :)  When I restarted old SCO Unix box at work last week (just to see does it's HDD's are still alive after cold restart), it has uptime over 500 days... ;) 
May 27, 2001 3:54:17 PM

"occasionally used for single CPU jobs pretty much 24/7"
im not sure i get you... im just trying to challenge linux uptime with a windows box by just switching it on with no apps running and leaving it on no screen saver or anything for as long as possible... it seems to crash within two weeks... i dont think windows likes calculating the passage of time too much ;) 

linux rocks... i agree...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2001 10:48:22 PM

What I'm trying to say is that the CPU are almost never idle. They are heavily loaded with distributed sims, compiling code, or single cpu jobs 24/7.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
May 28, 2001 4:58:53 AM

I just had my complete and total crash of Mandrake 8.0 today. However it was very much user error. I thrashed my system so hard that I had to boot my windows partition for the first time in 5 weeks to get my work done.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
!