ASUS CUV4x

Hi all,

I would like to know what maximum hdd size my ASUS CUV4X can handle? I
have checked the manual but cant find any information.

Thanks,
Drucker

--
Drucker

Paul

Splendid

In article <Drucker.1ix5vm@news.computerbanter.com>, Drucker
<Drucker.1ix5vm@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know what maximum hdd size my ASUS CUV4X
> can handle? Ihave checked the manual but cant find any
> information.
>
> Thanks,
> Drucker-- Drucker

These are the Asus "general" resources. The third link is to
some older motherboards and patched BIOS that improve their
capabilities. Motherboard manuals seldom address an issue like
this directly.

http://www.asus.it/support/english/techref/48bithdd/index.aspx (modern)
http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm (older)
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm (patched BIOS)

The first link, lists the CUV4X-CME and CUV4X-V. But doesn't list
the CUV4X. The second link refers to CUxxx as only up to 128GB.

Looking on the Germany ftp site, the CUV4X family is divided into
different directories, implying there is some difference between
a vanilla CUV4X, and the others. It could be, that the members of
the CUV4X family use different steppings of the 686A Southbridge,
and that accounts for differences between them.

Contains CUV4X-C,CUV4X-D,CUV4X-DLS,CUV4X-E,CUV4X-LS,CUV4X-M,CUV4X-ME
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUScom/bios/Socket_370/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_Pro_133A/

Contains CUV4X-V
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUScom/bios/Socket_370/VIA_Chipset/ProSavage_PM133/

Contains CUV4X
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUScom/bios/Socket_370/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_Pro_133Z/

Based on that skimpy evidence, I think your plain CUV4X is good
up to 128GB, so a 120GB drive will be usable for its entire
capacity. You will need the appropriate BIOS update to make that
happen.

Why not contact Asus tech support and seek verification ?

HTH,
Paul