auto-start problem P5GD2 deluxe

I've got two P5GD2 deluxe boards. Both re-start automaticaly within 30
seconds after shutting down windows.
When I disconnect the LAN-cable the problem disappears. But after a couple
of weeks I'm getting tired of crawling under my desk!

Can anyone help me, so I can keep my LAN-cable connected?

I've tried all the obvious, like changing cables and deselecting
Wake-up-on-Lan and all other auto-start options in Bios.

Thanks,

Patrick

Paul

Splendid

In article <41e99234$0$24304$e4fe514c@dreader14.news.xs4all.nl>, "P2"
<p2lamain@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've got two P5GD2 deluxe boards. Both re-start automaticaly within 30
> seconds after shutting down windows.
> When I disconnect the LAN-cable the problem disappears. But after a couple
> of weeks I'm getting tired of crawling under my desk!
>
> Can anyone help me, so I can keep my LAN-cable connected?
>
> I've tried all the obvious, like changing cables and deselecting
> Wake-up-on-Lan and all other auto-start options in Bios.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

I see a couple of avenues to investigate.

Looking on the download page, there doesn't seem to be any beta
BIOS. The last release BIOS looks like 1005.

But, there is a 1006.006 on the Germany site.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUScom/bios/Socket_775/INTEL_Chipset/i915p/P5GD2_Deluxe/1006d_06.zip

Beta BIOS never come with any release notes, so I cannot tell you
what has changed. This is roughly translated from the index.txt
file on the Germany site:

Important:

In BIOS do "Setup defaults" before and after flashing a BIOS !
An BIOS update generally happens on own danger.
This BIOS may be flashed ONLY with the following
Flashtoolversionen! No alteren versions use!

ASUS live update v5.31.01
ASUS AFUDOS v2.17

Beta BIOS = 1006,006
Final1005 = 1005.003
The final versions find always under: http://download.asus.com.tw

So, maybe you could try flashing up the beta BIOS.

The other way to solve the problem, might be via ACPI.
If you don't have ACPI enabled, I expect the BIOS sets certain
defaults in the hardware, just before shutdown. When an ACPI
OS is running and enabled, the OS loads the stuff it wants, before
shutdown, and the BIOS is supposed to leave the hardware alone.

To investigate the ACPI status of your install, you can use
dumppo.exe (13072 bytes)

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

You can find some of the command line options in Google

> CAP = Capabilities
> PS = Power Supply
> BS = Battery Supply
> ADMIN = Administration
> AC = AC Power Settings
> DC = DC Power Settings

> AC MAXSLEEP=Sx
> AC MINSLEEP=Sx
> where x is the ACPI value (1 & 3)

dumppo cap

would probably dump some info about your current ACPI install
for your Microsoft OS.

Now, an interesting thing just happened to me. I managed to
reproduce your symptoms, in a limited way. I used dumppo on
my test computer (A7N8X-E), and it said S3 was not enabled.
In Win2K, I selected Standby. The computer started the shutdown
sequence, then the keyboards lights flashed, and suddenly I
was looking at the login window again.

When I restarted, went into my BIOS and selected S3 (STR),
then rebooted, this time on standby, the computer actually
went into standby. I think at some point, S3 must have got
disabled in the BIOS.

In the proper STR state, the power led was flashing. The
computer stayed asleep. Since my keyboard is not powered by
+5VSB, I had to use the power button on the computer, to wake the
computer back up.

If you installed the OS, with S3 (suspend to RAM) disabled,
then you will need to use dumppo to restore the setting.

dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3

This does an "administrative override" of the S3 setting.

Try to get S3 set up, then go into the network device(s)
and disable their wake-on-lan settings as you wish. By
doing this, I'm hoping that the OS and drivers do a better
job of setting up the hardware for sleep, than the BIOS
is currently doing.

HTH,
Paul

mungo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005

Goto Device Manager, select the network controller concerned, select
advanced, select wake up capabilities and change to None. Fixed !!. Also
make sure Wake on modem or Lan is off in the BIOS.