Upgrading CPU on ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 Motherboard

Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.celeron,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

My system presently is:

HP 8710 Celeron 667, 512MB SDRAM 133MHz

S/N US04954376

ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 Motherboard 370 Socket FC-PGA

I updated the BIOS about 11 months ago to Phoenix Tech. 6.00 PG.

Platform IBM PC/AT or compatible, Intel 810E Chipset
Video 82810e 810e Chipset Graphics Controller, 1MB

I'd like to upgrade the CPU to a Celeron or Pentium 1+ GHz.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Tom

tom041652@comcast.net
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrading asus motherboard
  1. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.celeron,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:04:58 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr
    <tom041652@comcast.net> wrote:

    >My system presently is:
    >
    >HP 8710 Celeron 667, 512MB SDRAM 133MHz
    >
    >S/N US04954376
    >
    >ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 Motherboard 370 Socket FC-PGA
    >
    >I updated the BIOS about 11 months ago to Phoenix Tech. 6.00 PG.
    >
    >Platform IBM PC/AT or compatible, Intel 810E Chipset
    >Video 82810e 810e Chipset Graphics Controller, 1MB
    >
    >I'd like to upgrade the CPU to a Celeron or Pentium 1+ GHz.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks and Regards,
    >Tom
    >
    >tom041652@comcast.net

    I believe your board support max FSB of 100MHz. As such, it
    should support a Coppermine Celeron up to 1.1GHz, (FCPGA,
    not FCPGA2/Tualatin) or Coppermine P3 up to 1.1GHz but only
    in the 100MHz FSB versions.

    There is also a possibility that with a cheap slotket
    adapter like the following, your board might take up to
    1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron. That would be the best performance
    upgrade but I'm not certain it will work without the bios
    rejecting it, nor if the motherboard and power supply are
    robust enough to handle the extra amperage required by the
    Tualatin.
    http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Tualatin+adapter&scoring=p
  2. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.celeron,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:37:20 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:04:58 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr
    ><tom041652@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>My system presently is:
    >>
    >>HP 8710 Celeron 667, 512MB SDRAM 133MHz
    >>
    >>S/N US04954376
    >>
    >>ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 Motherboard 370 Socket FC-PGA
    >>
    >>I updated the BIOS about 11 months ago to Phoenix Tech. 6.00 PG.
    >>
    >>Platform IBM PC/AT or compatible, Intel 810E Chipset
    >>Video 82810e 810e Chipset Graphics Controller, 1MB
    >>
    >>I'd like to upgrade the CPU to a Celeron or Pentium 1+ GHz.
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks and Regards,
    >>Tom
    >>
    >>tom041652@comcast.net
    >
    >I believe your board support max FSB of 100MHz. As such, it
    >should support a Coppermine Celeron up to 1.1GHz, (FCPGA,
    >not FCPGA2/Tualatin) or Coppermine P3 up to 1.1GHz but only
    >in the 100MHz FSB versions.
    >
    >There is also a possibility that with a cheap slotket
    >adapter like the following, your board might take up to
    >1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron. That would be the best performance
    >upgrade but I'm not certain it will work without the bios
    >rejecting it, nor if the motherboard and power supply are
    >robust enough to handle the extra amperage required by the
    >Tualatin.
    >http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Tualatin+adapter&scoring=p

    Well, I found out using Intel's CPUz 1.26 program I had a FC-PGA
    socket so with Stratton's 370GU Upgrade kit, I am now running a 1.3GHz
    Celeron with a Tualatin-Core. Getting about a 45-50% increase in CPU
    speed now.

    Tom

Asus Celeron Motherboards