Another floppy problem

My floppy drive reads as a "b" drive I can't make it into "a".
It is "a" in the cmos. I tried uninstalling and re-detecting but to no
avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for the article. In response to it:
I am using a round skinny floppy cable. I take it that the 'a' drive still
has to be on the end so that's not it.

I do have an LS-120 drive which I totally disconnected to experiment, made
no difference.

The article does not mention windows XP.

I had no problems in windows 98 se. Only since I upgraded
to xp. In win98se I had the ls-120 as an 'h' drive, after the cd and dvd. I
would like it the same in winxp.

I was having problems with the ls-120 also in xp. It was the 'a' drive and
would disappear from explorer after an unsuccessful floppy read. I was going
to post about it also.
It's made by digital research and reads as Mitsubishi.
Not sure if supported by XP.

Any other suggestions? Thank you.

"Neil" <neil@jackeen.com> wrote in message
> try here http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000324.htm
>
> Neil.

Have you tried Disk Management and assign it A:? Right click on My
Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, right click on the
floppy, choose Change Drive Letter, and change it to A: ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Sirius376 wrote:
> Thank you for the article. In response to it:
> I am using a round skinny floppy cable. I take it that the 'a' drive still
> has to be on the end so that's not it.
>
> I do have an LS-120 drive which I totally disconnected to experiment, made
> no difference.
>
> The article does not mention windows XP.
>
> I had no problems in windows 98 se. Only since I upgraded
> to xp. In win98se I had the ls-120 as an 'h' drive, after the cd and dvd. I
> would like it the same in winxp.
>
> I was having problems with the ls-120 also in xp. It was the 'a' drive and
> would disappear from explorer after an unsuccessful floppy read. I was going
> to post about it also.
> It's made by digital research and reads as Mitsubishi.
> Not sure if supported by XP.
>
> Any other suggestions? Thank you.
>

> "Neil" <neil@jackeen.com> wrote in message
>
>>try here http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000324.htm
>>
>>Neil.

Did you go into BIOS setup and set drive A to the proper size floppy?
Also make sure that an option in the BIOS to switch A and B is not
enabled. The floppy goes to the end of the cable if it has no jumper or
is jumpered as 1. This goes back to the days of the IBM PC and PC XT
when originally floppy drives had a jumper for 0 (A) or 1 (B). To get
around changing jumpers the twist was put in the leads so that all
floppies could be left 1 (B), whether they had jumpers or not. The
twist in the cable changed the detected setting to 0.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:07:31 GMT, "Sirius376" <pcdoctor3@verizon.net>
wrote:

>My floppy drive reads as a "b" drive I can't make it into "a".
>It is "a" in the cmos. I tried uninstalling and re-detecting but to no
>avail. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you.

Have you installed sp1?

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

I did, but only hard drive partitions are manageable.

Thanks anyway.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried Disk Management and assign it A:? Right click on My
> Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, right click on the
> floppy, choose Change Drive Letter, and change it to A: ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Sirius376 wrote:
> > Thank you for the article. In response to it:
> > I am using a round skinny floppy cable. I take it that the 'a' drive
still
> > has to be on the end so that's not it.
> >
> > I do have an LS-120 drive which I totally disconnected to experiment,
made
> > no difference.
> >
> > The article does not mention windows XP.
> >
> > I had no problems in windows 98 se. Only since I upgraded
> > to xp. In win98se I had the ls-120 as an 'h' drive, after the cd and
dvd. I
> > would like it the same in winxp.
> >
> > I was having problems with the ls-120 also in xp. It was the 'a' drive
and
> > would disappear from explorer after an unsuccessful floppy read. I was
going
> > to post about it also.
> > It's made by digital research and reads as Mitsubishi.
> > Not sure if supported by XP.
> >
> > Any other suggestions? Thank you.
> >

> > "Neil" <neil@jackeen.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>try here http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000324.htm
> >>
> >>Neil.

Yes, I did. That is all correct and made no difference.

"Mike Powers" <mikepowers5@cox.net> wrote in message
> Did you go into BIOS setup and set drive A to the proper size floppy?
> Also make sure that an option in the BIOS to switch A and B is not
> enabled. The floppy goes to the end of the cable if it has no jumper or
> is jumpered as 1. This goes back to the days of the IBM PC and PC XT
> when originally floppy drives had a jumper for 0 (A) or 1 (B). To get
> around changing jumpers the twist was put in the leads so that all
> floppies could be left 1 (B), whether they had jumpers or not. The
> twist in the cable changed the detected setting to 0.
>
> Nathan McNulty wrote:
>
> > Have you tried Disk Management and assign it A:? Right click on My
> > Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, right click on the
> > floppy, choose Change Drive Letter, and change it to A: ;)
> >
> > ----
> > Nathan McNulty
> >

> > Sirius376 wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you for the article. In response to it:
> >> I am using a round skinny floppy cable. I take it that the 'a' drive
> >> still
> >> has to be on the end so that's not it.
> >>
> >> I do have an LS-120 drive which I totally disconnected to experiment,
> >> made
> >> no difference.
> >>
> >> The article does not mention windows XP.
> >>
> >> I had no problems in windows 98 se. Only since I upgraded
> >> to xp. In win98se I had the ls-120 as an 'h' drive, after the cd and
> >> dvd. I
> >> would like it the same in winxp.
> >>
> >> I was having problems with the ls-120 also in xp. It was the 'a' drive
> >> and
> >> would disappear from explorer after an unsuccessful floppy read. I was
> >> going
> >> to post about it also.
> >> It's made by digital research and reads as Mitsubishi.
> >> Not sure if supported by XP.
> >>
> >> Any other suggestions? Thank you.
> >>

> >> "Neil" <neil@jackeen.com> wrote in message

Yes, absolutely, I got SP1.

"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:07:31 GMT, "Sirius376" <pcdoctor3@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> >My floppy drive reads as a "b" drive I can't make it into "a".
> >It is "a" in the cmos. I tried uninstalling and re-detecting but to no
> >avail. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thank you.
> >

> Have you installed sp1?
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> What do you call a smart blonde?
> A golden retriever.

OK, wasn't sure if that was configurable from there or not. I haven't
had a floppy drive in 3 years, so I don't remember too much of that.
Sounds really odd since you have tried BIOS settings and everything but
it still appears as B:

I'm not really sure what to do from there since I don't have a floppy to
play with :(

----
Nathan McNulty

Sirius376 wrote:
> I did, but only hard drive partitions are manageable.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>

> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Have you tried Disk Management and assign it A:? Right click on My
>>Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, right click on the
>>floppy, choose Change Drive Letter, and change it to A: ;)
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Sirius376 wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you for the article. In response to it:
>>>I am using a round skinny floppy cable. I take it that the 'a' drive
>
> still
>
>>>has to be on the end so that's not it.
>>>
>>>I do have an LS-120 drive which I totally disconnected to experiment,
>
> made
>
>>>no difference.
>>>
>>>The article does not mention windows XP.
>>>
>>>I had no problems in windows 98 se. Only since I upgraded
>>>to xp. In win98se I had the ls-120 as an 'h' drive, after the cd and
>
> dvd. I
>
>>>would like it the same in winxp.
>>>
>>>I was having problems with the ls-120 also in xp. It was the 'a' drive
>
> and
>
>>>would disappear from explorer after an unsuccessful floppy read. I was
>
> going
>
>>>to post about it also.
>>>It's made by digital research and reads as Mitsubishi.
>>>Not sure if supported by XP.
>>>
>>>Any other suggestions? Thank you.
>>>

>>>"Neil" <neil@jackeen.com> wrote in message

Thanks for trying. I haven't used the floppy for a long time myself. Now I
want to test a Maxtor hard drive with Powermax. I downloaded the exe file to
my desktop and
it needs to be extracted to a floppy. The exe program
is looking for the "a" drive and does not see the "b".
That's why I am fussing with it.

Thank you.

> OK, wasn't sure if that was configurable from there or not. I haven't
> had a floppy drive in 3 years, so I don't remember too much of that.
> Sounds really odd since you have tried BIOS settings and everything but
> it still appears as B:
>
> I'm not really sure what to do from there since I don't have a floppy to
> play with :(
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Sirius376 wrote:
> > I did, but only hard drive partitions are manageable.
> >
> > Thanks anyway.
> >

> > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Have you tried Disk Management and assign it A:? Right click on My
> >>Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, right click on the
> >>floppy, choose Change Drive Letter, and change it to A: ;)
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty

> > still

> > made

> > dvd. I

> > and

> > going

Are you sure the BIOS sees it now? Set your BIOS to all errors and see
if it boots without halting for no floppy. Try setting it to boot from
the floppy first and then boot with a floppy in it and then see if you
get it to boot or if the floppy is not bootable you get the error
message about put a disk with an operating system in and hit enter.

Here is one about virtual drives which might apply

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321697&Product=winxp

Anopterh possibility, if you have removed the LS120, but it is still in
the device manager, windows might be saving A for it. You could go into
device manager and delete it but I wont swear it wont give you problems
getting the LS120 back.

Sirius376 wrote:
> Yes, absolutely, I got SP1.
>

> "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:07:31 GMT, "Sirius376" <pcdoctor3@verizon.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>My floppy drive reads as a "b" drive I can't make it into "a".
>>>It is "a" in the cmos. I tried uninstalling and re-detecting but to no
>>>avail. Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>>

>>Have you installed sp1?
>>

>>Have a nice week...
>>
>>Trent
>>
>>What do you call a smart blonde?
>>A golden retriever.

Yes, the bios can see it. I can boot from the floppy even if it's 'b' . When
I unplug the ls-120 it did disappear from device manager.