300W or 400W psu advice

Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or 400+W
psu when building a new computer

TIA
Regards
Sheri

--
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as
well dance

Extract yourteeth before replying
12 answers Last reply
More about 300w 400w advice

    Power Wattage Calculator
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "~ßïtzChiçk~" <sheri.kurowski@yourteethblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message:

    | Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or 400+W
    | psu when building a new computer
    |
    | TIA
    | Regards
    | Sheri
    |
    | --
    | Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as
    | well dance

    Hi

    Well if your just going with a cpu, 1 cdrom and harddrive
    then pretty much a 300w would do the job. But if your going
    to have a dvd/cdrom rw/hd etc then your best bet is to go
    with the larger ps 400w. In anycase just go with the 400w

    Al

    "~ßïtzChiçk~" wrote:

    > Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or 400+W
    > psu when building a new computer
    >
    > TIA
    > Regards
    > Sheri
    >
    > --
    > Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as
    > well dance
    >
    > Extract yourteeth before replying

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:10:31 GMT, "~ßïtzChiçk~"
    <sheri.kurowski@yourteethblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or 400+W
    >psu when building a new computer
    >
    >TIA
    >Regards
    >Sheri

    Personally I would not go with anything less than a 400 to 450 watt PS
    on even a barebones system.

    A 300 watt PS is going to quickly be too small when adding any new
    hardware to the system.

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Power Wattage Calculator
    > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    Thank you Carey, that's a handy site-I'll need 400W
    Regards
    Sheri
    --

    Alvin Brown wrote:
    ..> In anycase just go with the 400w

    I will do. Thank you for your reply
    Regards
    Sheri
    --

    ~ßïtzChiçk~ wrote:
    > Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or 400+W
    > psu when building a new computer
    >
    > TIA
    > Regards
    > Sheri

    Whenever I build PCs I always put in an oversized PSU just in case. It
    allows for future expansion and ensures that all of the devices have at
    least the minimum power with room to spare. And I HIGHLY recommend
    buying the best PSU you can find-there IS a difference. I prefer the
    Antec Cool Blues. I leave my PCs on 24/7 nad have never had a problem
    with the Antec PSUs. Good luck, Sheri.

    --
    Servo
    "Kids love Robocop!"

    Servo wrote:
    > Whenever I build PCs I always put in an oversized PSU just in case. It
    > allows for future expansion and ensures that all of the devices have
    > at least the minimum power with room to spare. And I HIGHLY recommend
    > buying the best PSU you can find-there IS a difference. I prefer the
    > Antec Cool Blues. I leave my PCs on 24/7 nad have never had a problem
    > with the Antec PSUs. Good luck, Sheri.

    Thank you for the advice, Servo. Duly noted
    Regards
    Sheri
    --

    ~ßïtzChiçk~ wrote:
    > Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or
    > 400+W psu when building a new computer

    The answer isn't quite as simple as a 300W unit or a 400W unit. Many many
    manufacturers rate their power supplys in a non-standard manner. On the
    bench as well as in practice, a quality 300W unit may supply more current
    than a shoddily made 420W unit.

    Choose from an Antec, Enermax, Sparkle/Fortron Source or Enlight. Expect to
    pay £55-60, for a good 400W unit.

    Les Herrman wrote:
    > Personally I would not go with anything less than a 400 to 450 watt PS
    > on even a barebones system.
    > A 300 watt PS is going to quickly be too small when adding any new
    > hardware to the system.

    That's what I had originally thought, in terms of future upgrading
    Thanks for your input
    Regards
    Sheri
    --

    S.Heenan wrote:
    > Choose from an Antec, Enermax, Sparkle/Fortron Source or Enlight.
    > Expect to pay £55-60, for a good 400W unit.

    Thanks.I've been looking at the Antec ones
    Regards
    Sheri
    --

    ~ßïtzChiçk~ wrote:
    > S.Heenan wrote:
    >> Choose from an Antec, Enermax, Sparkle/Fortron Source or Enlight.
    >> Expect to pay £55-60, for a good 400W unit.
    >
    > Thanks.I've been looking at the Antec ones

    GMTA
    Good luck.

    I use 300W Enlight PSU and it beats the living cr*p out of a shoddy brand
    450W PSU.

    "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    > ~ßïtzChiçk~ wrote:
    > > Please could you advise on what determines whether you go for 300W or
    > > 400+W psu when building a new computer
    >

    > The answer isn't quite as simple as a 300W unit or a 400W unit. Many many
    > manufacturers rate their power supplys in a non-standard manner. On the
    > bench as well as in practice, a quality 300W unit may supply more current
    > than a shoddily made 420W unit.
    >
    > Choose from an Antec, Enermax, Sparkle/Fortron Source or Enlight. Expect
    > pay £55-60, for a good 400W unit.

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP