Prescott cooling solution

My 2.8 Prescott was running 42-44C at idle, 10-12C higher than MB
temps, with stock HSF, 50-60C under load. I brought the temps way down
by taking out the 80mm side fan and putting in an 80mm to 120mm
adapter and 120mm Sunon fan, 108cfm, blowing in. The adapter brings
the fan a couple of inches from the CPU heatsink. Right now the MB is
29C, CPU 32C. I'm not a gamer, but I play Arasan chess, it used to
bring the temps way up to 55-60C, but since I put in the 120MM fan it
hasn't been over 48C while playing chess. The Sunon is loud, I'm
getting a rheostat for it so I can turn down the RPM when I don't need
the extra cooling.

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz
1GB, 512x2, Dual Channel Infineon CAS 2.5
Radeon LE 32MB
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watt
80 GB WD800JB IDE HD
Liteon 52X CD-RW
3COM hardware PCI modem

+
+

Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future
http://johnnyasia.info

"I say play your own way. Don't play what the public wants. You play what
you want and let the public pick up on what you're doing even if it does take
them fifteen, twenty years." - Thelonious Monk

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I went out and bought a cool master aero 4 lite and it works better then the
stock cooler and it comes with a dial for speed that I put in the 3 1/2 slot
in the front of my case and my cpu runs 10 degrees C. cooler under load. I
only paid $19 Canadian for it. Worth ever penny I paid.

Homer