Help! USB dissapeared - even before windowsXP

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Please, If anyone can help me.
I have the P4P800 Deluxe. It ran great for 10 months.
Yesterday USB just dissapeared. The bios hasn't changed.
8 ports, High-Speed, Legacy enabled (since I now have to use ps2
devices to get around).
On that bios screen it says no USB detected?!
WindowsXP sp2 seems to destect it all ok.
I plug in a usb devise which lights up even before windows boots up,
and it doesn't now. It appears all my USB ports - even the headers on
the motherboard are dead.
I re-installed the Motherboard CD with the drivers & chipset stuff.
No-Luck.
I bought this MoBo from NewEgg about 10months ago, but I don't have the
box, I doubt they or even Asus would help me. (although someone told me
to look for the receipt as there is 1yr warranty on this board and the
original box probably isn't needed)
I would hate to go thru all that as I need it everyday for my work.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Rick

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You could buy USB PCI card and put it in the computer if the USB is dead on
the board.

Homer

"Rick" <Rick_Warda@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Please, If anyone can help me.
> I have the P4P800 Deluxe. It ran great for 10 months.
> Yesterday USB just dissapeared. The bios hasn't changed.
> 8 ports, High-Speed, Legacy enabled (since I now have to use ps2
> devices to get around).
> On that bios screen it says no USB detected?!
> WindowsXP sp2 seems to destect it all ok.
> I plug in a usb devise which lights up even before windows boots up,
> and it doesn't now. It appears all my USB ports - even the headers on
> the motherboard are dead.
> I re-installed the Motherboard CD with the drivers & chipset stuff.
> No-Luck.
> I bought this MoBo from NewEgg about 10months ago, but I don't have the
> box, I doubt they or even Asus would help me. (although someone told me
> to look for the receipt as there is 1yr warranty on this board and the
> original box probably isn't needed)
> I would hate to go thru all that as I need it everyday for my work.
> Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

nbk

Homer wrote:
> You could buy USB PCI card and put it in the computer if the USB is dead on
> the board.
>
> Homer
>
> "Rick" <Rick_Warda@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Please, If anyone can help me.
>>I have the P4P800 Deluxe. It ran great for 10 months.
>>Yesterday USB just dissapeared. The bios hasn't changed.
>>8 ports, High-Speed, Legacy enabled (since I now have to use ps2
>>devices to get around).
>>On that bios screen it says no USB detected?!
>>WindowsXP sp2 seems to destect it all ok.
>>I plug in a usb devise which lights up even before windows boots up,
>>and it doesn't now. It appears all my USB ports - even the headers on
>>the motherboard are dead.
>>I re-installed the Motherboard CD with the drivers & chipset stuff.
>>No-Luck.
>>I bought this MoBo from NewEgg about 10months ago, but I don't have the
>>box, I doubt they or even Asus would help me. (although someone told me
>>to look for the receipt as there is 1yr warranty on this board and the
>>original box probably isn't needed)
>>I would hate to go thru all that as I need it everyday for my work.
>>Has anyone else had this problem?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Rick

I would at leeast try to RMA the motherboard.
NBK

Venom

Go with the PCI USB2 card till you can get time to go over the board and
find out what is wrong.

"NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
> Homer wrote:
> > You could buy USB PCI card and put it in the computer if the USB is dead
on
> > the board.
> >
> > Homer
> >
> > "Rick" <Rick_Warda@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Please, If anyone can help me.
> >>I have the P4P800 Deluxe. It ran great for 10 months.
> >>Yesterday USB just dissapeared. The bios hasn't changed.
> >>8 ports, High-Speed, Legacy enabled (since I now have to use ps2
> >>devices to get around).
> >>On that bios screen it says no USB detected?!
> >>WindowsXP sp2 seems to destect it all ok.
> >>I plug in a usb devise which lights up even before windows boots up,
> >>and it doesn't now. It appears all my USB ports - even the headers on
> >>the motherboard are dead.
> >>I re-installed the Motherboard CD with the drivers & chipset stuff.
> >>No-Luck.
> >>I bought this MoBo from NewEgg about 10months ago, but I don't have the
> >>box, I doubt they or even Asus would help me. (although someone told me
> >>to look for the receipt as there is 1yr warranty on this board and the
> >>original box probably isn't needed)
> >>I would hate to go thru all that as I need it everyday for my work.
> >>Has anyone else had this problem?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Rick
> >>

> I would at leeast try to RMA the motherboard.
> NBK

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Thank you all very much.
I tried using the windows "go back" utility, but that didn't do much as
everything looks fine in windows
device manager. All drivers are installed and all root hubs show up.
I'm not sure how to clear the cmos, but I think re-flashing my bios
would do the same.
I have the latest bios, so maybe I can just re-flash it with the same
one and have it overwrite the old
in an effort to fix anything that may be have corrupted.
The breakers really sound like thats what happended, but they haven't
reset themselves.
Can I see these or test these on the board. I have an ohm meter for
continuity checks.
I had the "gound out" with one of the brass stand-off once before on a
different computer. I didn't think of this
since nothing moved and all worked fine for months.
My power supply is only 350watts, but that seems ok for this board, 3
hard drives and a few USB devices.
(USB Mouse/Keyboard, 9-1 Card Reader).

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
Paul, I will try the things you suggested and I will post me progress,
as maybe it may be a help to others as well.

-Rick

Paul

Splendid

In article <1105987248.876142.260560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Rick"
<Rick_Warda@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you all very much.
> I tried using the windows "go back" utility, but that didn't do much as
> everything looks fine in windows
> device manager. All drivers are installed and all root hubs show up.
> I'm not sure how to clear the cmos, but I think re-flashing my bios
> would do the same.
> I have the latest bios, so maybe I can just re-flash it with the same
> one and have it overwrite the old
> in an effort to fix anything that may be have corrupted.
> The breakers really sound like thats what happended, but they haven't
> reset themselves.
> Can I see these or test these on the board. I have an ohm meter for
> continuity checks.
> I had the "gound out" with one of the brass stand-off once before on a
> different computer. I didn't think of this
> since nothing moved and all worked fine for months.
> My power supply is only 350watts, but that seems ok for this board, 3
> hard drives and a few USB devices.
> (USB Mouse/Keyboard, 9-1 Card Reader).
>
> If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
> Paul, I will try the things you suggested and I will post me progress,
> as maybe it may be a help to others as well.
>
> -Rick

The reason I doubt it is a polyfuse, is it is unlikely all the
USB circuits run from the same polyfuse. If you download the PDF
version of the manual, and look at page 23, there is a green
colored polyfuse next to the USB12 and USB34 connector stacks on
the back of the board:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/e1296_p4p800_deluxe.pdf

First, look for the ATX 2x2 +12V power connector, used to power the
processor. Then, start looking to the left of that connector. There
is a silver rectangle, an electrolytic capacitor (black plastic sleeve),
and finally, the green polyfuse.

With the computer running, connect the ground of your multimeter, to
one of the connector nuts on the back of the computer case. That is to
avoid the ground on the multimeter falling off while you are working.
I have an alligator clip that fits over the probe tip, and the
alligator clip holds well onto the nut on the connector.

Stick your meter on volts. Plug a load into a USB socket on the
back of the computer (in this case, one of USB1/2/3/4), so that
you have a way of observing what is happening there. I use an
optical mouse for this, as the red LED of my optical mouse makes
a good way to check for USB power, without using the multimeter.
Now, measure the voltage on either side of the green polyfuse.
If the voltage is zero on either side, it means either the
"soft off" switch controlled by software, is preventing the power
from getting there. (I have no idea how that is implemented - could
be some circuit inside the Southbridge, or a MOSFET external to
the Southbridge.) Otherwise, if the power went missing, I doubt
the motherboard would POST for you. If the voltage is +5 on one side,
and zero volts on the other, then the polyfuse is open circuit
(time to RMA). If the voltage on either side of the polyfuse is
+5V, then that means there should be power on the USB
connector. And, at that point, I would be looking at my USB
"appliance" with some kind of monitoring LED on it, to verify
that fact.

HTH,
Paul