Can we get rid of the tooltips?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure what they're called in whatever language is being used here, but these little yellow mouseover windows are really just getting in the way without providing value IMHO. Here's a perfect example:
229447197.png

I vote not to remove them, but have actual useful information in them. The crazyness you're getting is because of some characters in the post which are not being read correctly.

I can't think of any useful info though at the mo...

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Thanks, Ned :wink:

These things are "usually" very valuable, since you don't have to click on a link until you know a bit about it-- also in Internet Explorer, it shows multi-lines and a lot more content. Try it!!

Soon FireFox will fix the browser to show more stuff, not the current one-liner broken deal.

There are some characters in there, and I am not 100% cleaning them up (due to performance reasons).

So IE people are happy, and FF people would be happy as soon as the next version of browser comes out.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I guess... If people actually like it...

It just seems like a pretty pointless feature to me. **shrug** It just ends up covering up the text that I want to read with text that I don't care about. (Especially since I use the buggy FF. :lol: )

As a programmer I used to use those things all the time. Note, used to. Our software department made the conscious decision to stop using them because customers were complaining about the GUI being covered up by them when they were just trying to use the software. So we dropped them in favor of the what's this kind of help instead, since that only comes up when a user clicks for it.

But if people actually like it, I guess I'll suffer through it...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but the only things that seem like useful information are things that really should be in the columns, you know? :? The only thing that I could see going into the pop-up window there is a preview of the text ... but doing that covers up way too much, and it's only useful if you've never looked at the first post in the thread before. (Making it not very useful IMHO.) That's my two pence anyway.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
I don't see how they can be disruptive. If you don't hover over the text, you won't see the tooltip. This is normal with websites.

I use it extensively personally, since I don't want to click over to an article, see that I don't like it, and have to click back.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't see how they can be disruptive. If you don't hover over the text
And there we go. I hover. I hover like mad. I use my scroll wheel to scroll and always have my mouse pointer right where I'm going to click. It saves a lot of effort to navigate things that way.

This is normal with websites.
This is the first website that I've ever seen use tooltips, or whatever you call them. (By the way, what do you call them?)

I use it extensively personally, since I don't want to click over to an article, see that I don't like it, and have to click back.
Yeah, but that only makes sense when it's a new thread. (And for that matter, when it works, which it doesn't under FF.) Once you're five pages into a thread, does a pop-up of the first post's contents really help you?

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. I'm saying that we seem to pretty much represent the two opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to use. You benefit from these pop-ups. Personally, they're a detriment to my usage.

You can't please everyone, which is why if they're being useful to people I won't complain. But I'll still express my opinion at appropriate times. :wink:

I believe they are called tooltips.

You make some good observations / statements about their useage. I pretty much agree with your opinion that they are pretty useless. But im indifferent about whether they stay/go/alter.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Bro, I still cannot see how it is disruptive to your hovering habits. Why would you hover over something if you don't want to see a tooltip?

Example on other forums: http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Bro, I still cannot see how it is disruptive to your hovering habits. Why would you hover over something if you don't want to see a tooltip?
Because I might very well be about to click on it. I mean that is what it's there for, to be clicked on. It's kind of hard to click on it if you don't move the mouse over it...