Windows Start Button Gone Forever, Replaced By Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I am a PC fanboy, and this looks awful.

The fundamental purpose of an OS for me is to provide and invisible interface to access all of MY stuff MY way. It looks like Microsoft is trying to turn the OS into an application itself. This is not what I want, I want to have a clear, clean, fast, customizable utility to do what I desire.

I want to see my OS do all the back-end stuff (anti-virus, backup, file management, etc.) in the cleanest, fastest way possible. These things should happen in the background, and not distract me from doing the things I want (games, internet, Word, Excel, etc.).

The implication here is you are supposed to *use* the OS as an application. No thanks.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I am having my suspicions here, is this an April Fool's prank?
Assuming it isn't : Smart move Microsoft. removing a landmark of a button from the interface. I honestly don't know how well it's gonna work. The saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" maybe appropriate here.

Assuming it is : Very funny toms!

remyj123

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I really think MS is shooting themselves in the foot on this. Whereas I understand them wanting to make the interface identical across all formats of computing, pretty much everyone agrees the Metro interface is not as useful on a desktop or laptop PC as it is on a phone or a tablet. Businesses are not going to like Windows 8 on their PC workstations.

If they ask me, and they haven't, I would compromise by making the desktop version of Windows 8 essentially an update of Windows 7 and then toss the Metro tiles on the desktop. If people want to use them, they can, if they want to go to the start menu or task bar and launch from there as they have in the past, they still could.

Why does this have to be an all or nothing proposition?

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kenratboy[/nom]I am a PC fanboy, and this looks awful.The fundamental purpose of an OS for me is to provide and invisible interface to access all of MY stuff MY way. It looks like Microsoft is trying to turn the OS into an application itself. This is not what I want, I want to have a clear, clean, fast, customizable utility to do what I desire.I want to see my OS do all the back-end stuff (anti-virus, backup, file management, etc.) in the cleanest, fastest way possible. These things should happen in the background, and not distract me from doing the things I want (games, internet, Word, Excel, etc.).The implication here is you are supposed to *use* the OS as an application. No thanks.[/citation]

Exactly what windows 8 will be...

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I'm not missing the start-button, but the power-button should be available straight form the right-corner -menu ( whatever it's called ), and not under settings.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
It wouldn't be the first time that feedback on a product has been completely negative and MS has gone off in the wrong direction anyway. Good luck with that.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
When using the Preview Build, I found myself using Ctrl + Alt + Del a lot to bring up the task bar and kill Metro or to back-out of Metro apps (some appeared to not have any way to navigate back). The whole time I played with Win 8, I though to myself how much I appreciate the fact that Windows 7 is so good and that I really didn't need to upgrade to Windows 8. Thank goodness too, it felt like using a cell phone instead of using a PC. What the heck, Microsoft?

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
What a stupid idea I dont want my desktop to be like a touch pad or smart phone. FU Microsoft if they keep this idea going I'm switching to Linux or Mac OS.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
This is going to backfire in a big way. The avg consumor will not take kindly to this change. I'm willing to bet many avg consumors will want to revert back to Windows 7 after trying to figure out Windows 8 which will prompt many pc vendors to do a downgrade program. It's not like getting rid or quick launch, the start menu is a pretty big thing for many users. At the very least MS should have an option to enable the start menu.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Finally,Windows has become like Apple:
If you want to do something in it,it's impossible!

Let's all call it a day, and jump over to Linux, now that all 3 platforms are performing about the same, but at least with Linux, you have a simplified user interface, and you can do OS customizations via all kinds of advanced menu's and the shell; something which might take forever in Windows 8.

EzioAs

Distinguished
I keep hearing the bad news on windows 8 over and over again but I've never really tried it. Maybe I should try it on my laptop or see it on a friend's computer. I'll be trying it with an open mind.

Anyway...thanks for nothing microsoft for removing the good ol start button

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
If I wanted a MAC OS, I would have bought one!
No need to become a clone of apple! Yet another mistake for MS!

Seems like people running MS nowadays aren't too bright, and driven by investors. Such stories always have a bad ending!

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]maddy143ded[/nom]this just means that unless windows 8 has some clearly compelling performance boost like they claim for multicore usage (which as far as i know has not yet been proved ) most people will not want to go for an upgrade to windows 8. i will keep using widows 7 on my desktop as well as laptop for the foreseeable future.and it doesn't feel right to use a OS as heavy as windows 8(i think it was somewhere around 12GB of installation) on a tablet. whatever win 8 can do in 12 gb+ space android/ios/ubuntu can do it better in just 1-2 gb space.so effectively Microsoft is shooting itself in the ass with this move. they should have just upgraded the windows phone 8 for usage on a tablet, instead they are destroying their only plus point in the computer market.i do not believe that the tablet can replace a laptop in its usage.. a netbook yes definitely, an ultra-book most probably, but not a full blown laptop/desktop system. i really wish that companies would stop promoting the stupid tablets as a computer replacement and instead promote it as a computer compliment.one of the main reason ubuntu/mint os has not replaced my windows installation is their poor attempt to copy the start menu.. and i have been tinkering with different linux OSes since 2003(when i got my first linux os as a free cd.) i have even tried mac os (hacintosh some one?) but the ease of use and familiarity and the collection of games keep pulling me back to windows.well windows 7 seems good enough for use for next 5-7 years, till then something will give...(meaning M$ will see the falling OS sales and go back to basics as it were....I really feel strongly about one thing that m$ could have done right, reduce the god damn size of the OS . i mean 20 fu*king Gbs for just the installation? just because RAM and HDD are cheap (relatively ) doesnt give them the right to keep increasing its usage........[/citation]

A netbook yes???? Really, where you been, THEY ARE GONE!!!!!

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Hazbot[/nom]Well... looks like Vista 2.0![/citation]

Vista 2.0 is Windows 7 (I want to call you a name)... also, vista wasn't all that bad if you actually stayed with it for awhile. It was the first time Microsoft released a OS on time... Vendors were in a made rush to get drivers out and people were trying to upgrade old ill working machines to Vista... I fuggen hate people that compare without knowledge but based off they say... Stupid...

If you're going for an Apple look then IMO port (license) Mac OS X on the PC, and not some moronic attempt to reinvent the round wheel as a square.

Windows 8 is going to be a Major Flop, what in the hell are they (Microsoft) thinking?!

Status
Not open for further replies.