P4C800-E Deluxe vs P4P800-E Deluxe

Primary differences between those two boards? I'm intending to use them
with a Northwood 3Ghz+, if that's a factor.

Dano

875 vs. 865 chipset.

"_BNC" <_BNC@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Primary differences between those two boards? I'm intending to use them
> with a Northwood 3Ghz+, if that's a factor.

"_BNC" <_BNC@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Primary differences between those two boards? I'm intending to use them
> with a Northwood 3Ghz+, if that's a factor.

Same price? Get the P4C800 fer sure.

_BNC wrote:
> Primary differences between those two boards? I'm intending to use them
> with a Northwood 3Ghz+, if that's a factor.

The P4C800-E has an intel Technology called PAT. Look that up on an
Intel Site. It is a technology that works when you are using DDR400 Ram
or higher and an 800Mhz Processor that can enable a slightly faster
memory access. It usually only represents a 1-5% increase. If you are
playing a game you will not notice it, because it is not that important
for video games. A better video card is more important than the faster
Processor. Both are considered about equally important, so getting a
really fast processor for $400.00 and buying a $100 video card is a bad
idea. Try to spend about equally on both. Some would say you can get
by with a $120 processor and a $300 video card.

There is no real difference between the two motherboards. I have read
where it is possible to enable PAT on both motherboards. However, the
P4C is the newer chipset.

My advice is to look at the other items on the motherboard. Look at
what kind of chips are used for the integrated Sound and the integrated
Ethernet. There is not that much difference. Some motherboards may
have 3com for ethernet or some other brand of chip. Both motherboards
are good solid products.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:22:26 -0600, Last Boy Scout <eggbtr@ezl.com>
wrote:

>_BNC wrote:
>> Primary differences between those two boards? I'm intending to use them
>> with a Northwood 3Ghz+, if that's a factor.
>>
>The P4C800-E has an intel Technology called PAT. Look that up on an
>Intel Site. It is a technology that works when you are using DDR400 Ram
>or higher and an 800Mhz Processor that can enable a slightly faster
>memory access. It usually only represents a 1-5% increase. If you are
>playing a game you will not notice it, because it is not that important
>for video games. A better video card is more important than the faster
>Processor. Both are considered about equally important, so getting a
>really fast processor for $400.00 and buying a $100 video card is a bad
>idea. Try to spend about equally on both. Some would say you can get
>by with a $120 processor and a $300 video card.
>
>There is no real difference between the two motherboards. I have read
>where it is possible to enable PAT on both motherboards. However, the
>P4C is the newer chipset.
>
>My advice is to look at the other items on the motherboard. Look at
>what kind of chips are used for the integrated Sound and the integrated
>Ethernet. There is not that much difference. Some motherboards may
>have 3com for ethernet or some other brand of chip. Both motherboards
>are good solid products.

I thought PAT wasn't compatible with 875 chipsets ? Just asking.

bmcky

Boston, MA

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

bmcky wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:22:26 -0600, Last Boy Scout <eggbtr@ezl.com>
> wrote:
>

>>_BNC wrote:
>>
>>>Primary differences between those two boards? I'm intending to use them
>>>with a Northwood 3Ghz+, if that's a factor.
>>>

>>The P4C800-E has an intel Technology called PAT. Look that up on an
>>Intel Site. It is a technology that works when you are using DDR400 Ram
>>or higher and an 800Mhz Processor that can enable a slightly faster
>>memory access. It usually only represents a 1-5% increase. If you are
>>playing a game you will not notice it, because it is not that important
>>for video games. A better video card is more important than the faster
>>Processor. Both are considered about equally important, so getting a
>>really fast processor for $400.00 and buying a $100 video card is a bad
>>idea. Try to spend about equally on both. Some would say you can get
>>by with a $120 processor and a $300 video card.
>>
>>There is no real difference between the two motherboards. I have read
>>where it is possible to enable PAT on both motherboards. However, the
>>P4C is the newer chipset.
>>
>>My advice is to look at the other items on the motherboard. Look at
>>what kind of chips are used for the integrated Sound and the integrated
>>Ethernet. There is not that much difference. Some motherboards may
>>have 3com for ethernet or some other brand of chip. Both motherboards
>>are good solid products.
>

> I thought PAT wasn't compatible with 875 chipsets ? Just asking.

The contrary, PAT was supposed to be an 875 chipset feature only, but
ASUS managed to enable/emulate it with the 865 chipset. Just Google a
bit and you'll find dozens of articles on the topic! Some people claim
that the 865 and 875 chips are actually the same design, just packaged
differently (with some speed screening on the 875 chips).

--
th

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:06:53 GMT, th <someguy@somewhere.se> wrote:

>bmcky wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:22:26 -0600, Last Boy Scout <eggbtr@ezl.com>
>> wrote:

>>>The P4C800-E has an intel Technology called PAT. Look that up on an
>>>Intel Site. It is a technology that works when you are using DDR400 Ram
>>>or higher and an 800Mhz Processor that can enable a slightly faster
>>>memory access. It usually only represents a 1-5% increase. If you are
>>>playing a game you will not notice it, because it is not that important
>>>for video games. A better video card is more important than the faster
>>>Processor. Both are considered about equally important, so getting a
>>>really fast processor for $400.00 and buying a $100 video card is a bad
>>>idea. Try to spend about equally on both. Some would say you can get
>>>by with a $120 processor and a $300 video card.
>>>
>>>There is no real difference between the two motherboards. I have read
>>>where it is possible to enable PAT on both motherboards. However, the
>>>P4C is the newer chipset.
>>>
>>>My advice is to look at the other items on the motherboard. Look at
>>>what kind of chips are used for the integrated Sound and the integrated
>>>Ethernet. There is not that much difference. Some motherboards may
>>>have 3com for ethernet or some other brand of chip. Both motherboards
>>>are good solid products.
>>

>> I thought PAT wasn't compatible with 875 chipsets ? Just asking.
>>
>The contrary, PAT was supposed to be an 875 chipset feature only, but
>ASUS managed to enable/emulate it with the 865 chipset. Just Google a
>bit and you'll find dozens of articles on the topic! Some people claim
>that the 865 and 875 chips are actually the same design, just packaged
>differently (with some speed screening on the 875 chips).

th -

Son of a gun, you're exactly right (at least so far). I
googled as you suggested and saw some articles on the 875 chipsets.
For some reason I thought I'd seen something posted saying you
couldn't PAT on an 875 board. So now its enabled along with the 20%
o/c option and running smoothly. The acid test will be tomorrow when
I try to do an SVCD render using TMPG on its highest settings.

I had ram timing problems on this setup when I first got it.
It's using 512mgs (2x 256 sticks) of Corsair (LLPT) dual channel
memory . Seems as how it wouldn't auto-configure the timings and had
to swap them back to Corsair. The replacement chips wouldn't run on
this at the original advertised settings (something like 2-2-2-5 or 6
IIRC). Next time I won't be an early adopter, I picked this up about
3 weeks after they were released. Thanks for the info.

bmcky

Boston, MA

Check and make sure that the board doesn't have a Promise SATA controller
chip as it is not compatable with SATA optical drives.

--
John Mitchell
spine@wlake.com