Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I am going to install a new hard drive
and would like to boot over to it
instead of my old drive. How can I get
the operating system over to it. If I
try to install XP it keeps telling me I
have a later version than the install
disk and cant install. Would a disk copy
work??
Thanks.
KEN

Tim

The disk drive manufacturers often have drive copy programs which will do
this for you.
Go to their web site and have a fish around.

"Ken" <asken@att.net> wrote in message
>I am going to install a new hard drive
> and would like to boot over to it
> instead of my old drive. How can I get
> the operating system over to it. If I
> try to install XP it keeps telling me I
> have a later version than the install
> disk and cant install. Would a disk copy
> work??
> Thanks.
> KEN

i recently put in a new hd and the drive copying
software from manuf. would not work to much data
being copied tried pm and others got a copy of casper xp @
http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ worked like a charm
install on original hd and copy to new 1 and then install drives correctly
bgame

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:02:26 GMT, Ken <asken@att.net> wrote:

>I am going to install a new hard drive
>and would like to boot over to it
>instead of my old drive. How can I get
>the operating system over to it. If I
>try to install XP it keeps telling me I
>have a later version than the install
>disk and cant install. Would a disk copy
>work??
>Thanks.
>KEN

Norton Ghost works well. If you know someone who has Norton Ghost
installed (part of Norton SystemWorks), they can make you a Ghost boot
floppy. Leave your existing drive as the Primary Master and put your
new drive on the same cable, set as the Primary Slave. Note that on
some drives (Western Digital comes to mind) you have to change a
jumper on your existing drive from 'Single' to 'Master'. Boot from
the Ghost boot disk and select Copy, Disk to Disk. When the clone is
done, set the new drive as your Primary Master (put it at the far end
of the cable) and your old drive (if you intend to put it back in your
PC) as the Primary Slave (goes in the middle of the cable). Boot up
and you should be fine.