secondary ide woe

my computer crashed yesterday. when i finally got it to boot again, it said that the secondary master/slave devices were not atapi compatible. I don't know the make of either my cd or dvd drives, as there's nothing on the casing, and i can't get the computer to even acknowldege their existence. i've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the ide drivers, unplugging then re-plugging them both, troublehooting, etc, but i'm getting nowhere.. any suggestions?
spec:msi kzt266 pro2 mainboard with athlon 1600xp, running xp home.

ahh... sorry to have wasted your time, BAR... but i have since chanced upon the answer. one of the last things i tried was to pull the power supplies from both drives. i pushed the cables back in when the pc was powered on, and xp instantly installed them! plug and play heaven! thanks anyway.