secondary ide woe

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

my computer crashed yesterday. when i finally got it to boot again, it said that the secondary master/slave devices were not atapi compatible. I don't know the make of either my cd or dvd drives, as there's nothing on the casing, and i can't get the computer to even acknowldege their existence. i've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the ide drivers, unplugging then re-plugging them both, troublehooting, etc, but i'm getting nowhere.. any suggestions?
spec:msi kzt266 pro2 mainboard with athlon 1600xp, running xp home.

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

ahh... sorry to have wasted your time, BAR... but i have since chanced upon the answer. one of the last things i tried was to pull the power supplies from both drives. i pushed the cables back in when the pc was powered on, and xp instantly installed them! plug and play heaven! thanks anyway.

"BAR" wrote:

> OK, so what are these devices?
>
> You will need to open the case and open your MSI user Manual [if you haven't got one, they are available as downloads at the MSI site].
>
> Look at the IDE interface connectors, then trace the cable out to the drives. You can then see what is connected to IDE1 and IDE2.
>
> IDE2 will be the Secondary, and then you can check to see what is plugged onto the interface cable. Typically the drive that is located on the cable closest to the IDE connector is Slave and at the other end is the Master [you can confirm this by looking at the jumper settings]. Do also check that the jumpers are set correctly for the device relative to its position on the interface cable.
>
> Now make a note of all your Drives and their relative locations: Primary Master / Slave, Secondary Master/Slave.
>
> Now go into BIOS and IDE Device Detection it may be a separate item or within Advanced BIOS features. Make sure that all the devices are identified.
>
> Press F10 to save the changes and then reboot.
>
> If the devices are not properly recognised, then unplug one at a time and redo the proceedure: you may find a faulty drive prevents the other from being recognised.
>
>
>
> "alphaLobster" wrote:
>
> > my computer crashed yesterday. when i finally got it to boot again, it said that the secondary master/slave devices were not atapi compatible. I don't know the make of either my cd or dvd drives, as there's nothing on the casing, and i can't get the computer to even acknowldege their existence. i've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the ide drivers, unplugging then re-plugging them both, troublehooting, etc, but i'm getting nowhere.. any suggestions?
> > spec:msi kzt266 pro2 mainboard with athlon 1600xp, running xp home.