Windows Xp does not install on Asus K8NE Deluxe

Hi all,
I've got a problem with my Asus K8NE Deluxe.
Cpu is amd64 2800, video card is nv fx 5200. Memory is probably no name
one. Only ide drives, no sata.
I use this motherboard with linux without any problems. I've tried
different distros, 32 and 64 bits and all is ok.
I've decided to try win xp 64 beta. Downloaded it but it refuses to
install. Just after bios screen, "press a key to boot on cd", ok i
press, then something like "hardware detection" are the last words i can
see... Just a stupid blinking cursor left. Nothing happens after that.

I've thought xp64 was the problem so i've tried an 32 bits edition from
work, sp2 i think. Result is the same. Tried with xp original ( no sp)
ans that's the same.

Last try with an old win2k evaluation version and that's ok with that.
Win2k installs normally and runs normalley.

Any idea anybody?
7 answers Last reply
More about windows install asus k8ne deluxe

    "Yann Neveu" <yneveu@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I've got a problem with my Asus K8NE Deluxe.
    > Cpu is amd64 2800, video card is nv fx 5200. Memory is probably no name
    > one. Only ide drives, no sata.
    > I use this motherboard with linux without any problems. I've tried
    > different distros, 32 and 64 bits and all is ok.
    > I've decided to try win xp 64 beta. Downloaded it but it refuses to
    > install. Just after bios screen, "press a key to boot on cd", ok i press,
    > then something like "hardware detection" are the last words i can see...
    > Just a stupid blinking cursor left. Nothing happens after that.

    Are you trying to boot from a CD? Is the CD Bootable?

    Ken Maltby wrote:

    > "Yann Neveu" <yneveu@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I've got a problem with my Asus K8NE Deluxe.
    >> Cpu is amd64 2800, video card is nv fx 5200. Memory is probably no name
    >> one. Only ide drives, no sata.
    >> I use this motherboard with linux without any problems. I've tried
    >> different distros, 32 and 64 bits and all is ok.
    >> I've decided to try win xp 64 beta. Downloaded it but it refuses to
    >> install. Just after bios screen, "press a key to boot on cd", ok i press,
    >> then something like "hardware detection" are the last words i can see...
    >> Just a stupid blinking cursor left. Nothing happens after that.
    >>

    > Are you trying to boot from a CD? Is the CD Bootable?

    yes ;) all three xp CDs are bootable and used regularly on other PCs

    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >

    >> "Yann Neveu" <yneveu@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I've got a problem with my Asus K8NE Deluxe.
    >>> Cpu is amd64 2800, video card is nv fx 5200. Memory is probably no name
    >>> one. Only ide drives, no sata.
    >>> I use this motherboard with linux without any problems. I've tried
    >>> different distros, 32 and 64 bits and all is ok.
    >>> I've decided to try win xp 64 beta. Downloaded it but it refuses to
    >>> install. Just after bios screen, "press a key to boot on cd", ok i
    >>> press,
    >>> then something like "hardware detection" are the last words i can see...
    >>> Just a stupid blinking cursor left. Nothing happens after that.
    >>>

    >> Are you trying to boot from a CD? Is the CD Bootable?
    >
    > yes ;) all three xp CDs are bootable and used regularly on other PCs

    Ok, the other side of the issue; are you installing to a separate
    partition, dual booting? Your "evaluation" copy of W2k may have
    a way around such an issue, that XP doesn't.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby a écrit :

    > Ok, the other side of the issue; are you installing to a separate
    > partition, dual booting? Your "evaluation" copy of W2k may have
    > a way around such an issue, that XP doesn't.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Ok,
    I've tried to boot with unplugged hard drive ( maxtor ide 6y120l0 ) and
    install program go further :)
    seems to be an hard drive issue so. I don't know yet is this a multiboot
    problem.
    Thanks for the help, i'm investigate more now

    Ken Maltby a écrit :

    > Ok, the other side of the issue; are you installing to a separate
    > partition, dual booting? Your "evaluation" copy of W2k may have
    > a way around such an issue, that XP doesn't.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Ok,
    I've tried to boot with unplugged hard drive ( maxtor ide 6y120l0 ) and
    install program go further :)
    seems to be an hard drive issue so. I don't know yet is this a multiboot
    problem.
    Thanks for the help, i'm investigating more now

    Yann Neveu <yneveu@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I've got a problem with my Asus K8NE Deluxe.
    >Cpu is amd64 2800, video card is nv fx 5200. Memory is probably no name
    >one. Only ide drives, no sata.
    >I use this motherboard with linux without any problems. I've tried
    >different distros, 32 and 64 bits and all is ok.
    >I've decided to try win xp 64 beta. Downloaded it but it refuses to
    >install. Just after bios screen, "press a key to boot on cd", ok i
    >press, then something like "hardware detection" are the last words i can
    >see... Just a stupid blinking cursor left. Nothing happens after that.
    >
    >I've thought xp64 was the problem so i've tried an 32 bits edition from
    >work, sp2 i think. Result is the same. Tried with xp original ( no sp)
    >ans that's the same.
    >
    >Last try with an old win2k evaluation version and that's ok with that.
    >Win2k installs normally and runs normalley.
    >
    >Any idea anybody?

    Bios version.
    I had to upgrade to 1004

    Yann wrote:
    > Ken Maltby a écrit :
    >

    >> Ok, the other side of the issue; are you installing to a separate
    >> partition, dual booting? Your "evaluation" copy of W2k may have
    >> a way around such an issue, that XP doesn't.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >

    > Ok,
    > I've tried to boot with unplugged hard drive ( maxtor ide 6y120l0 ) and
    > install program go further :)
    > seems to be an hard drive issue so. I don't know yet is this a multiboot
    > problem.
    > Thanks for the help, i'm investigating more now

    That's ok now!
    Xp was unable to read partition table probably. I've backed up all hard
    drive and retried with a partition free one and all is ok.
    Thanks!

Asus Windows XP Motherboards