adding a 2nd hard drive

I am trying to add a 2nd HD to my XP operating system. This HD was removed from my old computer and contains mostly files i will need on my new PC. It does not have an OS on it. My old OS was win98. The BIOS and Device Manager in WIN XP sees and recognizes the 2nd HD, but MY COMPUTER does NOT see it, therefore, I do not have access to it. How do I gep XP to see this HD and assign drive letters to it. Thank you lpwine

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

You can assign a drive letter in Disk Management. Open control
panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management. R-click the
drive and assign the letter.

HTH, JAX

"lpwine" <lpwine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to add a 2nd HD to my XP operating system. This HD was
removed from my old computer and contains mostly files i will need on my new
PC. It does not have an OS on it. My old OS was win98. The BIOS and Device
Manager in WIN XP sees and recognizes the 2nd HD, but MY COMPUTER does NOT
see it, therefore, I do not have access to it. How do I gep XP to see this
HD and assign drive letters to it. Thank you lpwine

I understand disk management. However, the drive is not showing there......it shows nowhere but in device manager and the BIOS.

"JAX" wrote:

> You can assign a drive letter in Disk Management. Open control
> panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management. R-click the
> drive and assign the letter.
>
> HTH, JAX
>
> "lpwine" <lpwine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to add a 2nd HD to my XP operating system. This HD was
> removed from my old computer and contains mostly files i will need on my new
> PC. It does not have an OS on it. My old OS was win98. The BIOS and Device
> Manager in WIN XP sees and recognizes the 2nd HD, but MY COMPUTER does NOT
> see it, therefore, I do not have access to it. How do I get XP to see this
> HD and assign drive letters to it. Thank you lpwine

Try removing it from Device Manager and rebooting. Also, make sure that
all the BIOS settings are correct for the drive.

----
Nathan McNulty

Try http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
| Try removing it from Device Manager and rebooting. Also,
make sure that
| all the BIOS settings are correct for the drive.
|
| ----
| Nathan McNulty
|

| lpwine wrote:
| > I understand disk management. However, the drive is not
showing there......it shows nowhere but in device manager
and the BIOS.

| > "JAX" wrote:
| >

| >>You can assign a drive letter in Disk Management. Open
control
| >>panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk
management. R-click the
| >>drive and assign the letter.
| >>
| >>HTH, JAX
| >>
| >>"lpwine" <lpwine@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This HD was

| >>removed from my old computer and contains mostly files i
will need on my new
| >>PC. It does not have an OS on it. My old OS was win98.
The BIOS and Device
| >>Manager in WIN XP sees and recognizes the 2nd HD, but MY
COMPUTER does NOT
| >>see it, therefore, I do not have access to it. How do I
get XP to see this
| >>HD and assign drive letters to it. Thank you lpwine

thank you Nathan, but I did try that and it did not work....and the BIOS settings are correct.......I checked them 1000 times lol