How does Qfan Work on p4p800 ?

HI all,
i'm wondering to know how the Qfan system works on p4p800 MB. This setting
is supposed to lower the fan when the CPU charge is low and accelerate the
fan when the cpu charge is high.
Would it be a better idea to have it work on temperature?
What are the settings, if you have a 3000 tr/mn cooler or a 1500 tr/mn one,
are the speed settings are the same?
What is the curve?
How can we see it?
Any ideas, explanations or settings will be welcome.

MAn BIORS
France
P4P800 E deluxe + p4 2.53 @ 3Ghz + 1G pc3200

ggs

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

In news:41ec1d7d$0$9748$636a15ce@news.free.fr,
biors <biors@club-internet.fr> typed:

> HI all,
> i'm wondering to know how the Qfan system works on p4p800 MB.

I think it's very poor feature in real usage.
Turn it off and get some "hardware" soft (Speedfan , MBM etc.)
They works much much better.

*
*P4 3.0E,QC-80Cu,P4C800-Dlx/Wi-Fi,1024MB/400,Sapph9600P/128bB*
*HercFortissimo GS 7.1,CT-InspireP580,LTV878-FBKMN,HyundaiIQ790*
*2x40GB+1x80GB/7200,SD-M1712/CRW-5232AS,GPS-350BB-101L*

Paul

Splendid

In article <41ec1d7d$0$9748$636a15ce@news.free.fr>, "biors"
<biors@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> HI all,
> i'm wondering to know how the Qfan system works on p4p800 MB. This setting
> is supposed to lower the fan when the CPU charge is low and accelerate the
> fan when the cpu charge is high.
> Would it be a better idea to have it work on temperature?
> What are the settings, if you have a 3000 tr/mn cooler or a 1500 tr/mn one,
> are the speed settings are the same?
> What is the curve?
> How can we see it?
> Any ideas, explanations or settings will be welcome.
>
> MAn BIORS
> France
> P4P800 E deluxe + p4 2.53 @ 3Ghz + 1G pc3200

The Q-fan curve is here:
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/qfan.htm

Paul

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

biors wrote:
> HI all,
> i'm wondering to know how the Qfan system works on p4p800 MB. This setting
> is supposed to lower the fan when the CPU charge is low and accelerate the
> fan when the cpu charge is high.

No. It is not intelligent at all! In the BIOS "Power" menu you can
enable/disable the Q-fan control. If you enable it an item called "Fan
Speed Ratio" appears where you can statically select the speed ratio
from 11/16 to 15/16 of full speed. This is basically the same function
as you get from a manually variable resistor or a Zalman FanMate.

It is much better to buy a thermistor controlled fan like the Arctic
Cooling Super Silent Pro 4 TC, http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu1.php?p=2
My local dealer no longer sells this nice fan, maybe it is no longer
manufactured?

Warning: do not buy the Super Silent Ultra fan with any P4P800 as this
fan does not provide any airflow across the northbridge chip. Without
airflow across its cooler this chip becomes *very* hot!!!

> Would it be a better idea to have it work on temperature?
> What are the settings, if you have a 3000 tr/mn cooler or a 1500 tr/mn one,
> are the speed settings are the same?
> What is the curve?
> How can we see it?
> Any ideas, explanations or settings will be welcome.

With a Super Silent Pro 4 TC fan the fan speed typically lies between
1100 and 1500 rpm for a 3 GHz P4 Prescott (increases if you are gaming
heavily of course). At these speeds the fan noise can hardly be noticed
outside the chassis.

--
th

Thank's all guy, thats confirm the bad impression I had of Qfan...
By
MAn BIORS

Thank's Paul, that's what i was looking for,
But on the other hand I think the 50°C threshold for increasing the speed is
rather high.
Is there any way to change this value? I'd like to have a cooler CPU value.
By
Man BIORS

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
nospam-1801051718580001@192.168.1.177...
> In article <41ec1d7d$0$9748$636a15ce@news.free.fr>, "biors"
> <biors@club-internet.fr> wrote:
>
>> HI all,
>> i'm wondering to know how the Qfan system works on p4p800 MB. This
>> setting
>> is supposed to lower the fan when the CPU charge is low and accelerate
>> the
>> fan when the cpu charge is high.
>> Would it be a better idea to have it work on temperature?
>> What are the settings, if you have a 3000 tr/mn cooler or a 1500 tr/mn
>> one,
>> are the speed settings are the same?
>> What is the curve?
>> How can we see it?
>> Any ideas, explanations or settings will be welcome.
>>
>> MAn BIORS
>> France
>> P4P800 E deluxe + p4 2.53 @ 3Ghz + 1G pc3200
>>

> The Q-fan curve is here:
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/qfan.htm
>
> Paul

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Paul wrote:
> In article <41ec1d7d$0$9748$636a15ce@news.free.fr>, "biors"
> <biors@club-internet.fr> wrote:
>

>>HI all,
>>i'm wondering to know how the Qfan system works on p4p800 MB. This setting
>>is supposed to lower the fan when the CPU charge is low and accelerate the
>>fan when the cpu charge is high.
>>Would it be a better idea to have it work on temperature?
>>What are the settings, if you have a 3000 tr/mn cooler or a 1500 tr/mn one,
>>are the speed settings are the same?
>>What is the curve?
>>How can we see it?
>>Any ideas, explanations or settings will be welcome.
>>
>>MAn BIORS
>>France
>>P4P800 E deluxe + p4 2.53 @ 3Ghz + 1G pc3200
>>

> The Q-fan curve is here:
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/qfan.htm
>
> Paul

I think this curve is applicable for the Q-fan2 technology. According to
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/feature.htm the P4P800-series mobos
doesn't have this version, only some of the P5 and A8 series mobos have
it. In a P4P800E DL the option "Speed Up/Down Response Time" doesn't
appear when you enable the Q-fan Control. At 11/16 setting a standard
Intel fan runs just above 2000 rpm.

I have never found the fan speed to automatically increase with Q-fan
enabled. Maybe there is something wrong with my mobo or maybe the 50
degree limit is too high for normal use?

--
th

Paul

Splendid

In article <41eea787$0$1020$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, "biors"
<biors@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Thank's Paul, that's what i was looking for,
> But on the other hand I think the 50°C threshold for increasing the speed is
> rather high.
> Is there any way to change this value? I'd like to have a cooler CPU value.
> By
> Man BIORS

Experiment with this:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Q-fan is built on top of a variety of hardware. Some motherboards
have hardware sensor chips with PWM controls and others with analog
linear controls. The more sophisticated hardware sensor chips even
can implement temperature control right in the chip. Not all
motherboards will implement Q-fan in exactly the same way.

If Q-fan works for you, use it. If it doesn't, try Speedfan.

Paul

th wrote:
> No. It is not intelligent at all! In the BIOS "Power" menu you can
> enable/disable the Q-fan control. If you enable it an item called "Fan
> Speed Ratio" appears where you can statically select the speed ratio
> from 11/16 to 15/16 of full speed. This is basically the same function
> as you get from a manually variable resistor or a Zalman FanMate.

No, it doesn't work that way, at least not on any Asus board I've seen.
The speed ratio is the ratio of the lowest speed the fan will run at. At
higher temperatures it will speed up towards full speed.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Robert Hancock wrote:
> th wrote:
>
>> No. It is not intelligent at all! In the BIOS "Power" menu you can
>> enable/disable the Q-fan control. If you enable it an item called "Fan
>> Speed Ratio" appears where you can statically select the speed ratio
>> from 11/16 to 15/16 of full speed. This is basically the same function
>> as you get from a manually variable resistor or a Zalman FanMate.
>

> No, it doesn't work that way, at least not on any Asus board I've seen.
> The speed ratio is the ratio of the lowest speed the fan will run at. At
> higher temperatures it will speed up towards full speed.

I also discovered this by temporarily connecting the cooling fan outlet
to another fan. However my mobo seems to have some problem since the
fan speed does not start to increase until the CPU temp reaches 56
degrees C. This is not in line with the curve given by ASUS and I don't
feel comfortable with running the CPU that hot.

--
th