Is it possible to have just ATAPI devides on the IDE chann..

mm

Hi,
I have a P4P800 deluxe. I have 3 hdd's (Samsung on the SATA channel, & a
maxtor & fujistu on the RAID channel). Is it possible to connect up the 3
ATAPI drives (1 dvd-rom, 1 cd-rw & 1 dvd-rw) on the 1 & 2 IDE channels? I
have tried various configs, but BIOS doesn't want to recognise the single
ATAPI drive on the primary IDE channel?

any pointers would be most welcome!

thanks

Mark

Is it possible to connect up the 3 ATAPI drives (1 dvd-rom, 1 cd-rw & 1
dvd-rw) on the 1 & 2 IDE channels?

Yes.

I have tried various configs, but BIOS doesn't want to recognize the single
ATAPI drive on the primary IDE channel?

1. Is the IDE channel active in the BIOS?
2. Optical Drives (DVD, CDROM, etc.....) are shipped set as a "Secondary"
(slave) device. A single device should be set as "Primary" (master) or as
"Single" usually not an option on Optical Devices.

"MM" <thisiscrap@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a P4P800 deluxe. I have 3 hdd's (Samsung on the SATA channel, & a
> maxtor & fujistu on the RAID channel). Is it possible to connect up the 3
> ATAPI drives (1 dvd-rom, 1 cd-rw & 1 dvd-rw) on the 1 & 2 IDE channels? I
> have tried various configs, but BIOS doesn't want to recognise the single
> ATAPI drive on the primary IDE channel?
>
> any pointers would be most welcome!
>
> thanks
>
> Mark

You must be running XP or win2K to enable both SATA channels and both IDE
channels. Set bios to "enhanced" mode to recognize up to six devices on
those channels. I'm running three hard drives on the VIA controller, a
single SATA drive on the primary SATA channel and three burners on the
regular IDE channels. And I dual boot Win2K and XP. If you're running a
Win9X/ME or earlier OS you have to set the bios to "compatable" mode and can
only enable the primary OR secondary IDE channel not both.
RH