NEC 3500 A or Plextor PX716A DVD burner

Which of these two drives are recommended?
NEC 3500 A
Plextor PX 716 DVD burner

I have problems with Plextor CD-RW burners. Two are gone already,
same model Plextor 40/12/40A PX W4012TA, second one is a replacement
from warrenty, but also gone.

How reliable are these burners?
Do they record as the maximum advertised speed provided compatible
CD-R (RW)s
are used?

Does NEC have burn proof technology?

Both drives work with Windwos 98 First edition???

Any other recommendations on other drives?

Appreciate any inputs!
1 answer Last reply
More about 3500 plextor px716a burner

    On 18 Jan 2005 05:35:49 -0800, consumerxyz@hotmail.com (consumer)
    wrote:

    >Which of these two drives are recommended?
    >NEC 3500 A
    >Plextor PX 716 DVD burner

    NEC3520
    (I don't think you can even get a 3500A)

    It is a rather quiet drive. Very popular and one of the cheapest.
    Further there are a lot of modified firmwares for it. Look here:
    http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

    > I have problems with Plextor CD-RW burners. Two are gone already,
    >same model Plextor 40/12/40A PX W4012TA, second one is a replacement
    >from warrenty, but also gone.
    >

    >How reliable are these burners?
    >Do they record as the maximum advertised speed provided compatible
    >CD-R (RW)s
    >are used?
    >
    >Does NEC have burn proof technology?

    sure, even the 2500A I use have it. This 2500A has been converted to a
    2510 with double layer and bitsetting, by pirate firmware from Herrie.

    >Both drives work with Windwos 98 First edition???

    Ups, why not.
    If you can get a burner software that can win98. It's from the
    stoneage.
    You know: a dvd-drive requires no drivers, if you don't boot on dos.
    Then the windows 98 startup floppy has a standard driver that can be
    used for CD-mode (not DVD I suppose).

    >Any other recommendations on other drives?

    There should be a burner (pioneer or plextor) that supports double
    layer on minus dvd-discs that will come on the market soon. Else all
    use double layer discs of plus-standard.

    Some says that Nec 3520 support these new discs, but I am not so sure.
    It will probably come in future firmwares even from NEC. They normally
    throw a drive on the market fast and improve firmware accordingly.

    best regards

    John

Asus NEC DVD Burner Burner CD-Rom Plextor Motherboards