NEC 3500 A or Plextor PX716A DVD burner

Which of these two drives are recommended?
NEC 3500 A
Plextor PX 716 DVD burner

I have problems with Plextor CD-RW burners. Two are gone already,
same model Plextor 40/12/40A PX W4012TA, second one is a replacement
from warrenty, but also gone.

How reliable are these burners?
Do they record as the maximum advertised speed provided compatible
CD-R (RW)s
are used?

Does NEC have burn proof technology?

Both drives work with Windwos 98 First edition???

Any other recommendations on other drives?

Appreciate any inputs!

On 18 Jan 2005 05:35:49 -0800, consumerxyz@hotmail.com (consumer)
wrote:

>Which of these two drives are recommended?
>NEC 3500 A
>Plextor PX 716 DVD burner

NEC3520
(I don't think you can even get a 3500A)

It is a rather quiet drive. Very popular and one of the cheapest.
Further there are a lot of modified firmwares for it. Look here:
http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

> I have problems with Plextor CD-RW burners. Two are gone already,
>same model Plextor 40/12/40A PX W4012TA, second one is a replacement
>from warrenty, but also gone.
>

>How reliable are these burners?
>Do they record as the maximum advertised speed provided compatible
>CD-R (RW)s
>are used?
>
>Does NEC have burn proof technology?

sure, even the 2500A I use have it. This 2500A has been converted to a
2510 with double layer and bitsetting, by pirate firmware from Herrie.

>Both drives work with Windwos 98 First edition???

Ups, why not.
If you can get a burner software that can win98. It's from the
stoneage.
You know: a dvd-drive requires no drivers, if you don't boot on dos.
Then the windows 98 startup floppy has a standard driver that can be
used for CD-mode (not DVD I suppose).

>Any other recommendations on other drives?

There should be a burner (pioneer or plextor) that supports double
layer on minus dvd-discs that will come on the market soon. Else all
use double layer discs of plus-standard.

Some says that Nec 3520 support these new discs, but I am not so sure.
It will probably come in future firmwares even from NEC. They normally
throw a drive on the market fast and improve firmware accordingly.

best regards

John

TRENDING THREADS