How to boot from a CD (a7v8x)

Hello, All!

I have an ASUS A7V8X m/b. My bios allows me to set a CD as a
SCSI/ATA drive (this one is an IDE, i.e. ATA?) and elevate it to
the initial boot position. BUT, it is ignored. My system is w2k; I'm
wondering if there are some config.sys, autoexec.bat things needed but I
don't see why since thought this was all at the hardware level.

Can anyone tell me how to get this system to boot from its CD?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Hello, Colonel!
You wrote to All on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:10:41 -0600:

CB> Hello, All!

CB> I have an ASUS A7V8X m/b. My bios allows me to set a CD as a
CB> SCSI/ATA drive (this one is an IDE, i.e. ATA?) and elevate it to
CB> the initial boot position. BUT, it is ignored. My system is w2k; I'm
CB> wondering if there are some config.sys, autoexec.bat things needed but
CB> I don't see why since thought this was all at the hardware level.

CB> Can anyone tell me how to get this system to boot from its CD?

CB> Thanks.

CB> Colonel Blip.
CB> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

found my own problem and fixed it.

Colonel Blip wrote:

> Hello, All!
>
> I have an ASUS A7V8X m/b. My bios allows me to set a CD as a
> SCSI/ATA drive (this one is an IDE, i.e. ATA?) and elevate it to
> the initial boot position. BUT, it is ignored. My system is w2k; I'm
> wondering if there are some config.sys, autoexec.bat things needed but I
> don't see why since thought this was all at the hardware level.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get this system to boot from its CD?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colonel Blip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Are you getting the prompt to "Hit any key to boot from CD"? or something
like that?

--
Kirbalo...

K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
2:45pm up 4 days 21:13, 3 users, load average: 1.02, 1.04, 1.23

Hello, kirbalo!
You wrote on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:46:26 -0600:

k> Colonel Blip wrote:

k> Are you getting the prompt to "Hit any key to boot from CD"? or
k> something like that?

Problem was my CD and DVD were both on an IDE add in card. I had to
rearrange some drives and get the CD on the on-board IDE and then was able
to get a boot.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Colonel Blip wrote:

> Hello, kirbalo!
> You wrote on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:46:26 -0600:
>
> k> Colonel Blip wrote:
>
> k> Are you getting the prompt to "Hit any key to boot from CD"? or
> k> something like that?
>
> Problem was my CD and DVD were both on an IDE add in card. I had to
> rearrange some drives and get the CD on the on-board IDE and then was able
> to get a boot.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colonel Blip.

Now you know why the more expensive PATA/SATA PCI controllers are more
expensive ;) They often have BIOS hooks via their own on-board BIOS that
enables them to be booted (along with other goodies). Same deal with most
el-cheapo SCSI controllers; many don't have the ability to boot from them.

You get what you pay for - but seeing as you could work around the
limitations of your add-on (PCI) controller, you probably needn't worry :)

James
--
The only problem with being a man of leisure is that you can never stop
and take a rest.