maxtor 300 gb questions

This HD comes with 300 GB and it was format at factory as
FAT32. 279GB is what I had now in XP. question: If I
format to NTFS is the size will be increase to 300 GB ?
Thanks.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Drive manufacturer's determine size in base 10 - so that one gigiabyte is
1,000,000,000

Computer's figure size in base 2 - so that one gigabyte is 1,073,741,824

So 279Gb multiplied by 1,073,741,824 equals 299,573,968,896; which is pretty
close to 300GB.

The size you see being reported is correct won't change.

"amy-p" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This HD comes with 300 GB and it was format at factory as
> FAT32. 279GB is what I had now in XP. question: If I
> format to NTFS is the size will be increase to 300 GB ?
> Thanks.

"amy-p" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This HD comes with 300 GB and it was format at factory as
>FAT32. 279GB is what I had now in XP. question: If I
>format to NTFS is the size will be increase to 300 GB ?
>Thanks.

300 gb as FAT32 in one partition? That is preposterous. FAT32 should
never be used on partitions larger than 128 gb (4.1 million total
clusters of 32K each).

If you want to change it to NTFS then you should delete the existing
partition and create a new NTFS one rather than converting the FAT32
to NTFS. See MVP Alex Nichol's article on NTFS conversion at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm for the reason why and a way
to overcome the problem that might otherwise result.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP