Can only start in Safe mode??

July 28, 2004 10:33:05 AM

After trying to install a wireless card my pc wouldn't
boot up.
I removed the card and put the old ethernet card back in
but then when booting up, it would freeze on the XP page
where the blue progress bar stops. I switch off, restart
and selct restart in last good configuration but pc
freezes in the same place. I also tried system restore
from boot up but even after trying 2 restore points it
freezes at the same point. I can now only start my pc in
safe mode.
I don't have the XP cd to re-install it so I'm stuck.

More about : start safe mode

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:41:25 PM

I would recommend putting the Wireless card back in the computer and set
everything hardware-wise, back the way you want it. Now use these
bootdisks to load recovery console. Try typing FIXBOOT <DRIVE>

You really should get the XP CD and do a repair installation. This is
going to be the best way. If you don't own XP, you can get it for about
$85 with some good shopping. If you do own XP and you have lost the CD
or it is damaged or you lost your key, try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

----
Nathan McNulty

!