Setting up printer for wireless use

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 1:30:03 PM

I have three computers linked in a home network. Two are wired and one, my
laptop, works great off of a wirless connection.

I would like the convenience of being able to place a printer in a different
location from my laptop, though in the same room. I purchased a D-Link
DS-G310 print server and tried to set that up last night, but was having
problems:

1. The instructions tell you to set up one of the wired computers with an
ip address within the same range as the printer server. When I changed that
to the recommended setting (instead of using find ip address automatically),
I lost my internet connection.
2. I set up the machine to find ip address automatically, followed the
instructions that came with the print server, installed the printer driver
for my target home office printer, and was able to print a test page.
3. I next went to my laptop and tried to install the printer there and had
no success. I could neither print to the printer in our living room (where
the basic network setup is) or to the newly installed one in my home office.

Any suggestions that might help me work this out?

Thanks!
January 15, 2005 8:45:10 PM

Hi

It is a hard to help you since you do not actually describe your setting.
You mention two printers and that you have one Wireless printer server.
(Hard to know what in you living room without living there).

Assuming that your Wireless Printer Server is working directly with a
Wireless cable/DSL Router and that you manage to print from one computer.
I.e. it seems that printer is talking correctly to the Router.

Under such a situation every computer on the Network should be able to
access the Network printer provide you installed the original printer
drivers on each computer, and before printing you choose to use the Network
Printer from the available printers list.

P.S. If you have software Firewalls make sure that do not block any of the
Network private IPs.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Peter C. Bogert" <pcbogert@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have three computers linked in a home network. Two are wired and one,
my
> laptop, works great off of a wirless connection.
>
> I would like the convenience of being able to place a printer in a
different
> location from my laptop, though in the same room. I purchased a D-Link
> DS-G310 print server and tried to set that up last night, but was having
> problems:
>
> 1. The instructions tell you to set up one of the wired computers with an
> ip address within the same range as the printer server. When I changed
that
> to the recommended setting (instead of using find ip address
automatically),
> I lost my internet connection.
> 2. I set up the machine to find ip address automatically, followed the
> instructions that came with the print server, installed the printer driver
> for my target home office printer, and was able to print a test page.
> 3. I next went to my laptop and tried to install the printer there and
had
> no success. I could neither print to the printer in our living room
(where
> the basic network setup is) or to the newly installed one in my home
office.

> Any suggestions that might help me work this out?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 10:08:27 PM

Let me give a bit more info.

Computer 1 is a desktop, and is connected via ethernet cable to a D-link
router. That router is also connected to our cable modem.
Computer 2 is a laptop, and I connect to the network through a wireless
pcmcia card.

I bought a D-link wireless printer server and put it in the room where
Computer 2 is. Since I had run an ethernet cable to that room, I have that
connected via the ethernet cable, and have an HP 5150 plugged in to the USB
port on the printer server.

I've installed the printer driver on both machines, hooking it up according
to the directions that came with the printer server. They indicated that
the printer server must be set up on a computer that is wired to the
network. The only exception I made to the instructions was that they
specified that I needed to assign an IP address to the computer, and when I
did that, I lost my internet connection. So I used the obtain an IP address
automatically. Otherwise I followed the instructions. I installed the
printer driver on both machines, creating a TCP/IP port on each as specified
in the instructions.

A. Computer 1 can print to the 5150 in the other room, but Computer 2 can
not.
B. I can log on to the printer server from Computer 1, but cannot from
Computer 2. The IP address for the printer server is default at
198.128.0.10.

Hopefully that will make my setup a little more clear. Oh yes - both are
running XP.

"Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> It is a hard to help you since you do not actually describe your setting.
> You mention two printers and that you have one Wireless printer server.
> (Hard to know what in you living room without living there).
>
> Assuming that your Wireless Printer Server is working directly with a
> Wireless cable/DSL Router and that you manage to print from one computer.
> I.e. it seems that printer is talking correctly to the Router.
>
> Under such a situation every computer on the Network should be able to
> access the Network printer provide you installed the original printer
> drivers on each computer, and before printing you choose to use the
Network
> Printer from the available printers list.
>
> P.S. If you have software Firewalls make sure that do not block any of the
> Network private IPs.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Peter C. Bogert" <pcbogert@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have three computers linked in a home network. Two are wired and one,
> my
> > laptop, works great off of a wirless connection.
> >
> > I would like the convenience of being able to place a printer in a
> different
> > location from my laptop, though in the same room. I purchased a D-Link
> > DS-G310 print server and tried to set that up last night, but was having
> > problems:
> >
> > 1. The instructions tell you to set up one of the wired computers with
an
> > ip address within the same range as the printer server. When I changed
> that
> > to the recommended setting (instead of using find ip address
> automatically),
> > I lost my internet connection.
> > 2. I set up the machine to find ip address automatically, followed the
> > instructions that came with the print server, installed the printer
driver
> > for my target home office printer, and was able to print a test page.
> > 3. I next went to my laptop and tried to install the printer there and
> had
> > no success. I could neither print to the printer in our living room
> (where
> > the basic network setup is) or to the newly installed one in my home
> office.
> >
> > Any suggestions that might help me work this out?
> >
> > Thanks!

a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 10:08:28 PM

I do not believe you can have the printer hooked up to the desktop via USB
abd a wireless print server via Ethernet. Can You?

> [...]
>> > ip address within the same range as the printer server. When I changed
>> that
>> > to the recommended setting (instead of using find ip address
>> automatically),
>> > I lost my internet connection.
>> > 2. I set up the machine to find ip address automatically, followed the
>> > instructions that came with the print server, installed the printer
> driver
>> > for my target home office printer, and was able to print a test page.
>> > 3. I next went to my laptop and tried to install the printer there and
>> had
>> > no success. I could neither print to the printer in our living room
>> (where
>> > the basic network setup is) or to the newly installed one in my home
>> office.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions that might help me work this out?

January 15, 2005 10:45:51 PM

Hi
Unfortunatly I do not have the time to read the D-Link manual..
However let me try a long shot.
When D-Link (or any other manufacture) sell you a network product that need
to be configured the product has a Default IP. Let say that it is
198.163.1.100. If your Network happened to be on a 192.163.0.x band you can
not access the device for configuration because of mismatched IP scheme.
Under such a situation you have to connect the device to a computer that is
configured to 192.168.1.x and then change the device default's IP to be on
the same band as the rest of your Network. Once this done you have to put
back your computer configuration to match again you original IP scheme, and
the printer server has to be connected through the Router to the Network.
The Printer server would not act as a Network Printer if it is plugged to a
computer. Any further configuration of the printer server can be done by
either computer through the server's web interface using I.E.

Check the IPs of all your Network devices and make sure that they all are
configured to the same band.

> [...]

> > that
> > > to the recommended setting (instead of using find ip address
> > automatically),
> > > I lost my internet connection.
> > > 2. I set up the machine to find ip address automatically, followed
the
> > > instructions that came with the print server, installed the printer
> driver
> > > for my target home office printer, and was able to print a test page.
> > > 3. I next went to my laptop and tried to install the printer there
and
> > had
> > > no success. I could neither print to the printer in our living room
> > (where
> > > the basic network setup is) or to the newly installed one in my home
> > office.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions that might help me work this out?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 11:08:23 PM

Jack - I'll check that out. Thanks!

"Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o y0BvR2%23EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > >
> > > It is a hard to help you since you do not actually describe your
> setting.
> > > You mention two printers and that you have one Wireless printer
server.
> > > (Hard to know what in you living room without living there).
> > >
> > > Assuming that your Wireless Printer Server is working directly with a
> > > Wireless cable/DSL Router and that you manage to print from one
> computer.
> > > I.e. it seems that printer is talking correctly to the Router.
> > >
> > > Under such a situation every computer on the Network should be able to
> > > access the Network printer provide you installed the original printer
> > > drivers on each computer, and before printing you choose to use the
> > Network
> > > Printer from the available printers list.
> > >
> > > P.S. If you have software Firewalls make sure that do not block any of

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 16, 2005 10:57:44 AM

The printer is connected via USB to the printer server.

!