lag- causes?

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

what causes lag? is it at my end, the server end or in between? or all
of the above? Is there anything I can do about it?

lag absolutely drives me crazy! nothing's worse than seeing your rocket
knock a warthog into the air just to see it magically return to driving
down the road. sheesh.

lag, lag... why do you vex me so???

"mike hicks" <mhicks130@cox.net> wrote in message
> what causes lag? is it at my end, the server end or in between? or all
> of the above? Is there anything I can do about it?
>
> lag absolutely drives me crazy! nothing's worse than seeing your rocket
> knock a warthog into the air just to see it magically return to driving
> down the road. sheesh.
>
> lag, lag... why do you vex me so???

It could be your connection speed or the servers connection speed. What
speed are you using?

somebody

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

"mike hicks" <mhicks130@cox.net> wrote in message
> what causes lag? is it at my end, the server end or in between? or all
> of the above? Is there anything I can do about it?
>
> lag absolutely drives me crazy! nothing's worse than seeing your rocket
> knock a warthog into the air just to see it magically return to driving
> down the road. sheesh.
>
> lag, lag... why do you vex me so???

Lag comes from one or more of the following

1. Your processor being too slow to process all you inputs and the net data
while drawing everything
2. Your upload bandwidth is insuffiient to update the server quickly enough
for others to download your information
3. Your download bandwidth is too congested to download timely information
from the server
4. The server is located far away from you on the Internet and the large
number and/or variability and/or slowness of hops is causing slow latency in
your communication
5. The other player(s) have one or more of the problems above and are not
updating in a timely manner
6. The server has insufficient upload bandwidth to provide all connected
clients with sufficient information
7. The server has insufficient download bandwidth to accept all client
incoming information
8. The server is not dedicated and the local player is overloading the
processor, starving all clients of information.

Most people know how fast they can download but not how fast they can
upload. Therfore when they try to run a 10 man server on a vanilla ADSL
connection, while it's true that they can download incoming client info at
1.5Mbps, they can often only upload at 256kbps or worse. Which comes out to
25kbps per player -- slower than dial up. No surprise it lags.

To reduce lag, do as many of the following as you can:
1. Reduce all your details and textures, sounds, and resolution settings in
halo to minimum. Use11 shader.
2. Upgrade your internet bandwidth, don't run other internet apps at the
same time, be aware of who is sharing your connection.
3. Pick only servers with pings below 100ms, preferably 60 or 50ms.
4. Play only on dedicated servers
5. Check everyone's pings once in a while. Anyone in the 400s or 500s,
start complaining about their ping. Point it out. Admins may ask them to
leave as they are slowing down the game for all.
6. Play on full time servers, they are more often in a colocation facility
rather than somebody's adsl at their house.
7. If the game is lagging a lot, and everyone's pings are low, move on to a
new server, the admin has overspec'ed the game for his resources.
8. If a lot of people are complaining about lag and leaving, there's a
reason. Move on.

Lag happens to everyone. Sometimes you have to learn to live with it, by
leading your shots and choosing attacks that will work even though lag
increases the variability.

-Russ.

Barry

"A Manky Dog" <bloody@bleedinbloody.hell> wrote in message

> "mike hicks" <mhicks130@cox.net> wrote in message
> > what causes lag? is it at my end, the server end or in between? or all
> > of the above? Is there anything I can do about it?
> >
> > lag absolutely drives me crazy! nothing's worse than seeing your rocket
> > knock a warthog into the air just to see it magically return to driving
> > down the road. sheesh.
> >
> > lag, lag... why do you vex me so???
>
> It could be your connection speed or the servers connection speed. What
> speed are you using?

Ive been hit by a rocket when in an Warthog it knocked my shiled down and
the hog launched in the airfliped twice and landed back on its weals :D

Somebody wrote:

> [...]
>same time, be aware of who is sharing your connection.
>3. Pick only servers with pings below 100ms, preferably 60 or 50ms.
>4. Play only on dedicated servers
>5. Check everyone's pings once in a while. Anyone in the 400s or 500s,
>start complaining about their ping. Point it out. Admins may ask them to
>leave as they are slowing down the game for all.
>6. Play on full time servers, they are more often in a colocation facility
>rather than somebody's adsl at their house.
>7. If the game is lagging a lot, and everyone's pings are low, move on to a
>new server, the admin has overspec'ed the game for his resources.
>8. If a lot of people are complaining about lag and leaving, there's a
>reason. Move on.
>
>Lag happens to everyone. Sometimes you have to learn to live with it, by
>leading your shots and choosing attacks that will work even though lag

Wow, that's a great response! Thanks.

I've often checked everyone's ping and we're all under 100 but still
there's lag. Now I know why. Thanks again.

mike

somebody

> Somebody wrote:
<snip long lag stuff>
> Wow, that's a great response! Thanks.
>
> I've often checked everyone's ping and we're all under 100 but still
> there's lag. Now I know why. Thanks again.
>
> mike

No problem.

Just remember that ping is a measure of how long a packet takes to get there
and back, that's all. It's a good indication of what your best performance
will be if everything else is good. So, on a high ping server, you cant'
expect it to get that great. On a low ping server, it could be very good.
But, all the other things I talked about can still effect either case. Ping
gives you far less information about the relative thickness of the pipes
involved, or the performance of the machines involved. It is effected by
these factors also, but much less than the number of hops between here and
there.

BTW, everyone under 100 is superb. Probably it's a server issue.

-Russ.