SD Card speeds vs CF Card speeds?

June 22, 2004 1:14:53 PM

Hi,
well I have both an SD card and a CF Card in my iPaq 2215, when I transfer
files to my SD card it takes about twice the time to copy as the same file
to the CF card. Is this just that I have a slow SD card (supposed to have
sustained 2mb and burst of 10mb) or is this an ipaq limitation?
Patrick
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:38:36 PM

SD memory cards are much slower then CF cards. But your card might be also
one of the slower ones.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

So is the card size the only real benefit of SD cards?
Patrick
"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
> SD memory cards are much slower then CF cards. But your card might be also
> one of the slower ones.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl

June 22, 2004 10:38:38 PM

IMHO, SD cards are slower and more expensive per megabyte than CF cards.
But, SD memory cards are very useful to have even in a dual-slot system like
an HP iPAQ 2215. I keep an SD memory card in there and leave the CF slot
free for a VGA card (for presentations), WiFi, GPS, etc.

BTW: SD card speed also depends on how the manufacturer implemented the SD
slot. For example, my iPAQ 3850 takes many times longer to write to the
exact same SD card compared to my iPAQ 2215.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
> So is the card size the only real benefit of SD cards?
> Patrick
> "Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
> > SD memory cards are much slower then CF cards. But your card might be
also
> > one of the slower ones.
> >
> > --
> >
> > .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> > .: www.PDAclub.pl

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:38:38 PM

Personally, I think size is a disadvantage of SD cards. They fall out too easily and can be lost simply by dropping them on the
floor (depending on how messy the room is.) ;-)

!