Securing laptop for park-bench hot spots (newbie question)

Increasingly, municipalities are offering free hot spot internet connections
in city parks. Philadelphia has four so far, with more planned.

How should I configure my Windows XP laptop to secure it for use in this
type of public area?

I have no background in wi-fi, and I have found the info published on the
web overwhelmingly comprehensive. What I am looking for is a simple
recommendation for client-side settings for an XP laptop in an environment
where I have no knowledge of or control over server or access point
security. I want to close off all peer-to-peer access, and securely
encrypt client-to-gateway transmissions.

I realize that no security measures (especially in a public wireless
environment) is 100%, but what is the best that I can do, and what are the
remaining vulnerabilities?

If there is an FAQ that lists the recommended settings, kindly point me to
it.

David D.
3 answers Last reply
More about securing laptop park bench spots newbie question

    In a Hot SPot, you will not be able to encrypt or set any type of peer to
    peer security settings, with an exception of a firewall program.

    "David D." <xyz@abc.blah> wrote in message
    > Increasingly, municipalities are offering free hot spot internet
    > connections
    > in city parks. Philadelphia has four so far, with more planned.
    >
    > How should I configure my Windows XP laptop to secure it for use in this
    > type of public area?
    >
    > I have no background in wi-fi, and I have found the info published on the
    > web overwhelmingly comprehensive. What I am looking for is a simple
    > recommendation for client-side settings for an XP laptop in an environment
    > where I have no knowledge of or control over server or access point
    > security. I want to close off all peer-to-peer access, and securely
    > encrypt client-to-gateway transmissions.
    >
    > I realize that no security measures (especially in a public wireless
    > environment) is 100%, but what is the best that I can do, and what are the
    > remaining vulnerabilities?
    >
    > If there is an FAQ that lists the recommended settings, kindly point me to
    > it.
    >
    > David D.

    Hi

    Wireless security is a Point to specific point security.

    I.e. The source and the client have to be configured with the exact same
    security parameters.

    When you use public Spots you can not configure ant Wireless security since
    the source is not under your control.

    Beside a good Firewall I would suggest to Switch Off File sharing in the
    laptop. Doing so will protect your files from being coincidently exposed to
    the Network.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Robert Jacobs" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > In a Hot SPot, you will not be able to encrypt or set any type of peer to
    > peer security settings, with an exception of a firewall program.
    >
    > "David D." <xyz@abc.blah> wrote in message
    > > Increasingly, municipalities are offering free hot spot internet
    > > connections
    > > in city parks. Philadelphia has four so far, with more planned.
    > >
    > > How should I configure my Windows XP laptop to secure it for use in this
    > > type of public area?
    > >
    > > I have no background in wi-fi, and I have found the info published on
    the
    > > web overwhelmingly comprehensive. What I am looking for is a simple
    > > recommendation for client-side settings for an XP laptop in an
    environment
    > > where I have no knowledge of or control over server or access point
    > > security. I want to close off all peer-to-peer access, and securely
    > > encrypt client-to-gateway transmissions.
    > >
    > > I realize that no security measures (especially in a public wireless
    > > environment) is 100%, but what is the best that I can do, and what are
    the
    > > remaining vulnerabilities?
    > >
    > > If there is an FAQ that lists the recommended settings, kindly point me
    > > it.
    > >
    > > David D.

    Download the lastest service pack (SP2). Turn on the
    firewall and disable the file/print sharing. Also
    download Spybot Search and Destroy. Turn on the TeaTimer
    as this monitors your registry so that if someone does
    bypass your firewall, any time someone tries to edit you
    registry it will warn you.

Laptops Wireless Networking