Can not find Scandisk

Using Windows XP. Recently hard disk corrupted and tried to find
Scandisk but unable to access it. Able to correct corrupt disk problem
with System Restore but still cannot locate Scandisk. It is not in
System Tools. Search only yields the logs for Scandisk not the
application. Is there a way to obtain Scandisk from the Windows XP CD?

Thanks,

Karl

Hello
There is no scandisk in XP.
There is Check disk utility.
Double Click My Computer>right click the drive you wish to check click
Properties>Tools tab>there you will see it.

--
Haus
Live your life so that whenever you lose, you are ahead.

On 28 Jul 2004 17:08:11 -0700, karl_sussman@juno.com (Karl Sussman)
wrote:

>Using Windows XP. Recently hard disk corrupted and tried to find
>Scandisk but unable to access it. Able to correct corrupt disk problem
>with System Restore but still cannot locate Scandisk. It is not in
>System Tools. Search only yields the logs for Scandisk not the
>application. Is there a way to obtain Scandisk from the Windows XP CD?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Karl

Scandisk doesn't come with XP. If you have the logs, they must be old
ones.

Scandisk will run on XP...I do it once a week...but you need to run it
from a DOS boot disk.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

No. Scandisk CAN NOT be used within Windows XP. It was replaced many years
ago with check disk (chkdsk).

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Karl Sussman" <karl_sussman@juno.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows XP. Recently hard disk corrupted and tried to find
> Scandisk but unable to access it. Able to correct corrupt disk problem
> with System Restore but still cannot locate Scandisk. It is not in
> System Tools. Search only yields the logs for Scandisk not the
> application. Is there a way to obtain Scandisk from the Windows XP CD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karl

Crusty,

From Trents post it sounds like he is running Scandisk from a bootable floppy so technically he can run Scandisk "on" an XP system, just not "within" XP as he errantly stated.

wrote:

>Using Windows XP. Recently hard disk corrupted and tried to find
>Scandisk but unable to access it. Able to correct corrupt disk problem
>with System Restore but still cannot locate Scandisk. It is not in
>System Tools. Search only yields the logs for Scandisk not the
>application. Is there a way to obtain Scandisk from the Windows XP CD?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Karl
Open "my computer"
right click the drive in question.
properties/tools/error check

scandisk doesn't exist in Xp. It's chkdsk.

Dave

find this, goto My Computer and right-click on the hard
drive you want to run Checkdisk on. Scroll down to
Properties and select the Tools tab. You will see an
option for Errorchecking and a Check Now button. Click
on that button. It will start to run and then tell you
that it cannot continue because some files are in use and
will ask you if you want to schedule a run.
Select "Yes", clsose the windows and reboot the
computer. Windows will start to load and then will
launch into Checkdisk. Another way to do Checkdisk is to
set your BIOS to boot from the cd-rom, pop in a Winmdows
XP installation cd and when it asks if you want to
install windows or use the Recovery option, hit R, then
the number of the Windows installation and enter, type in
the Administrator password if you have one and the type
in either 'chkdsk /r' (checks and repairs)
or 'chkdsk /r/f' (checks, repairs and forces repairs).
Note: do not include the ' quotation marks.

I hope your file system is FAT/FAT32 then, as Win9x Scandisk will
totally hose an NTFS file system.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 28 Jul 2004 17:08:11 -0700, karl_sussman@juno.com (Karl Sussman)
> wrote:
>
> >Using Windows XP. Recently hard disk corrupted and tried to find
> >Scandisk but unable to access it. Able to correct corrupt disk
problem
> >with System Restore but still cannot locate Scandisk. It is not in
> >System Tools. Search only yields the logs for Scandisk not the
> >application. Is there a way to obtain Scandisk from the Windows XP
CD?

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Karl
>
> Scandisk doesn't come with XP. If you have the logs, they must be
old
> ones.
>
> Scandisk will run on XP...I do it once a week...but you need to run
it
> from a DOS boot disk.
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> What do you call a smart blonde?
> A golden retriever.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:23:43 -0400, "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(FORGET-SPAM)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I hope your file system is FAT/FAT32 then, as Win9x Scandisk will
>totally hose an NTFS file system.

No...it won't. It can't.