HELP !!! Need an expert advice on P4P800-E problem :( ( DE..

I have a problem with a relative new PC I've built several month ago,
and from then, I have no peace of mind... I'm almost sure there are
helpful members that have the knowledge and good will for helping, so
here is the problem:
The macine is mostly used for video editing (Prem pro 1.5, Encore,
Ulead Media studio and so on), and Graphics as PS, + + +...
>From time to time the pc just "freezes" and I have to reboot. Sometimes
it "just" slows down , and again I have to reboot.
The windows task menager is always at CPU 99% and the process that
takes all the CPU's resources is EXPLORER !!!
I had the same problem with it whe SP1 was installed, exactly the same.
As I have the clean "ghost" I've made when I've installed Windows, I
don't suspect any spyware, virus or like them doing the problem. I've
tried to tweak the whole system without any improvement. Tried all Anti
virus - anti spyware - anti trojs...
I'm always got the same results....slowing and rebooting...and I don't
know what to do... I've moved the Paging file to another disk, made it
8G....no way...

I've changed the Maxtor HD, to a new 120G one...
******* One of the main things I've observed is that when I point with
my mouse to a movie file or a picture file and press the RIGHT button
of the mouse, when I got the "menu" open with, cut copy paste etc. the
resorces of the cpu become 0 !!! It remain so up I decide to "open
with..." and then, even the movie or picture are displayed ok, the
CPU's resources returns to normal, at 90-95% of resources.

I'll be very thankful for any help or idea

TIA

Nina

Specifications:

Processor
Model: 1x Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz Prescott
Socket/Slot: CPU 1 (Socket 478)
Frequency: 2800 MHz
FSB Speed: 133 MHz
Vendor: Intel Corporation
L1 Cache: 12 KB
L2 Cache: 1024 KB

Memory
2 x 512M DDR 400M

Mainboard
Model: P4P800-E
5 x PCI: 32 bit
1 x AGP 8X: 32 bit
: Mouse Port (PS/2)
: Keyboard Port (PS/2)

System BIOS
Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 1001.004
Date: 01/05/2004
Size: 512 KB

Video System
Monitor: Default Monitor
Video Card: ASUS (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200) (V9520 video suite)
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 32 bit

Physical Storage Device
CD-ROM/DVD: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B
CD-ROM/DVD: LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B
Hard Disk: WDC WD2000JD-00GBB0
Hard Disk: MAXTOR 4K060H3
Hard Disk: WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0
Floppy Disk: Floppy disk drive

Logical Storage Device
Local Disk (C:): 14991 MB (7554 MB Free) NTFS
Local Disk (D:): 19992 MB (10197 MB Free) NTFS
DRIVE_E (E:): 22235 MB (6348 MB Free) NTFS
F (F:): 57209 MB (24455 MB Free) NTFS
G (G:): 57207 MB (19569 MB Free) NTFS
DRIVE_H (H:): 60000 MB (16197 MB Free) NTFS
DRIVE_I (I:): 60000 MB (9022 MB Free) NTFS
DRIVE_J (J:): 70770 MB (24606 MB Free) NTFS

Peripherals
Mouse: Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer
Keyboard: Microsoft USB Internet Keyboard Pro

Communication Device(s)
Network Card 1: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
Adapter, Copper RJ-45
Network Card 2: 1394 Net Adapter

Operating System(s)
Windows Family: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack: Service Pack 2, v.2096
Version Number: 5.1 (Build 2600)
Product ID: ZZZZZ-ZZZ-zzzzzzz-23570

Printers HP Deskjet930

I would like to know the best board for desktops that can be put together by
the novice?
Most reliable.
FSB
Memory
Anything else you can come up with.

This is a test.
When I post the post is posting into another post.
I would like to post as a new discussion.

In article <cstqfd$581$1@wildfire.prairienet.org>,
rlcostle@prairienet.org says...
> This is a test.
> When I post the post is posting into another post.
> I would like to post as a new discussion.

If other suggestions don't improve things-- like unistalling
applications and a repair installation of XP, its a
virus my friend.

Disconnect from internet, delete the C drive, reinstall windows
and do not connect to the internet without first enabling the
firewall on the internet connection in network properties. Then
install windows updates , then get an anti virus application--F
Prot is best.

--
Best Regards,

Thank you very much for responding,
That's very logic that there is a program that may do all the trouble.
There is no virus, I've checked with 3 AV programs.
The same thing happened with 2 kind of XP, the first was SP1 and the
second comes with SP2 integrated. Anyway, after I'll make a Ghost
image, I'll try to uninstall the programs one by one to try to locate
maybe there is a faulty one.
The main reasons I suspect it IS a hardware problem are:
1. My Prescott 2.8G 533MHz and the 2x512 DDR Memory that WERE supposed
to work at 400MHz, work at only 333MHz, and I cannot configure the
memory from the BIOS to work at 400MHz.
2. From time to time, when the CPU works hard (Rendering movies or
pictures), came up a genuine "popup" program that shows me that the
video card's fan stopped (for 1 -3 seconds). then it returns to normal.
Best Regards,

Nina

Hello Paul, Thanx a lot for the help :)
Indeed, this scenario match my symptoms !!!
My monitor extinguish for some time each time I'm rightclicking on an
..avi file, no matter which codec it uses, even DV, so it's not a divx
matter.
On .mpg, .mpeg or mov files it works ok.
I've tried to locate the PATH at registry, but found it at another
path. I've deleted it, but the problem remains the same, but only at
..AVI files...
It's good to know it's a Windows bug and not a hardware problem.
(Hope....) :) It doesn't solve my problem yet, but it's a clue.
I'm going to try it on other Explorer files too, and try to find some
clues at the google's place.
Thanx and best regards,
Nina

Thanx for responding Man BIORS :)
Asus probe shows ne always something between 40 - 45*C, never hotter.
My MOBO is also p4p800 E Deluxe and I use 2x512MB DDR400 dual channel
(kingston)
Does yours show that it runs on 400MHz ?
I'm not sure that the Prescott CPU has not conflicts with the MOBO
and/or the memories.
Going to d/l memtest, I have a very old one :)

Best regards,
Nina

Paul

Splendid

In article <1106404963.099104.36950@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"nina.p20" <nina.p20@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with a relative new PC I've built several month ago,
> and from then, I have no peace of mind... I'm almost sure there are
> helpful members that have the knowledge and good will for helping, so
> here is the problem:
> The macine is mostly used for video editing (Prem pro 1.5, Encore,
> Ulead Media studio and so on), and Graphics as PS, + + +...
> >From time to time the pc just "freezes" and I have to reboot. Sometimes
> it "just" slows down , and again I have to reboot.
> The windows task menager is always at CPU 99% and the process that
> takes all the CPU's resources is EXPLORER !!!
> I had the same problem with it whe SP1 was installed, exactly the same.
> As I have the clean "ghost" I've made when I've installed Windows, I
> don't suspect any spyware, virus or like them doing the problem. I've
> tried to tweak the whole system without any improvement. Tried all Anti
> virus - anti spyware - anti trojs...
> I'm always got the same results....slowing and rebooting...and I don't
> know what to do... I've moved the Paging file to another disk, made it
> 8G....no way...
>
> I've changed the Maxtor HD, to a new 120G one...
> ******* One of the main things I've observed is that when I point with
> my mouse to a movie file or a picture file and press the RIGHT button
> of the mouse, when I got the "menu" open with, cut copy paste etc. the
> resorces of the cpu become 0 !!! It remain so up I decide to "open
> with..." and then, even the movie or picture are displayed ok, the
> CPU's resources returns to normal, at 90-95% of resources.
>
> I'll be very thankful for any help or idea
>
> TIA
>
> Nina
<<snip>>

Does this scenario match your symptoms ?

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=8be0c34f.0111301052.37b5b376%40posting.google.com

Apparently, if you hold your mouse over some file types, the
computer ends up reading the whole file, in an attempt to
provide the user with a capsule summary of what the file is.

This post has a suggestion for a workaround:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=2a737c31.0201230242.7c65b64a%40posting.google.com

"To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to
file property queries on these files.

This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes,
or even view thumbnails."

If you do a search based on the registry key above, you may find
additional information on the problem, such as whether Microsoft
has issued their own (proper) fix for the problem:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E

If you are not familiar with the dangers of editing the registry,
get some help from a friend. There are techniques for backing up
the registry information etc., but I am not expert enough to
make this experiment risk free.

Just a guess,
Paul

HI desperate;;;;

">From time to time the pc just "freezes" and I have to reboot. Sometimes
it "just" slows down , and again I have to reboot."

1) That's look like overheating of CPU. Try ASUS PROBE to know if your CPU
temp to not exess 60 °C
, is so change your CPU cooler ...

..2) you have DDR400, it's normal that the Mobo regognize it as DDR333 to to
the chipset. There no issue of that and your system should run whitout any
pb. (mine p4p800 E Deluxe works great with 2x512MB DDR400) dual channel.

3)Try memtest, it's a little software which stresses your memory in order to
check its relaibility. Pb with memory are frequents. Check yours with this
lillte soft.

Bye
Man BIORS
France

nina.p20 wrote:
> [...]
> Hard Disk: MAXTOR 4K060H3
> Hard Disk: WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0
> Floppy Disk: Floppy disk drive
>
> Logical Storage Device
> Local Disk (C:): 14991 MB (7554 MB Free) NTFS
> Local Disk (D:): 19992 MB (10197 MB Free) NTFS
> DRIVE_E (E:): 22235 MB (6348 MB Free) NTFS
> F (F:): 57209 MB (24455 MB Free) NTFS
> G (G:): 57207 MB (19569 MB Free) NTFS
> DRIVE_H (H:): 60000 MB (16197 MB Free) NTFS
> DRIVE_I (I:): 60000 MB (9022 MB Free) NTFS
> DRIVE_J (J:): 70770 MB (24606 MB Free) NTFS
>
> Peripherals
> Mouse: Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer
> Keyboard: Microsoft USB Internet Keyboard Pro
>
> Communication Device(s)
> Network Card 1: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
> Adapter, Copper RJ-45
> Network Card 2: 1394 Net Adapter
>
> Operating System(s)
> Windows Family: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Pardon my ignorance, put if you are running a 2.8 Prescott, why is the
FSB set to 133? That's not correct for your chip. It is supposed to be
200mhz as the base, not 133. Perhaps you made a typo and I'm just being
an anal twit.?

It sounds as if something is wrong with the softwares you use rather than
the board.

You may want to reinstall WinXP, SP1 or SP2, all drivers of the boards,
and only few applications you are using. Then you can check what happens.

With little information, it is difficult to guess.

------------

Date: 01/05/2004
Size: 512 KB

[...]

Even I've tried several time to post this message, got an "Server
error" message.
Going to try it again :)
Hello George Skuse,
The main reason I cannot set the FSB to 133 is that the Prescott CPU I

have is a 533MHz one. That means IMHO that the Maximum

frequency I can use is 133. I've tried to set it to 200, but then the
BIOS

announced me (on boot) that I cannot use this frequency. Again, on my

BIOS I don't have the item "CPU RATIO" so I assume that this CPU is

locked.
And AGAIN, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but on my CPU box

is written:
P4 processor 2.8A GHz, 1.4V max.
System Bus 533MHz 1MB L2 Cache

Not 800 MHz !!!

Am I wrong ?

Best regards,
Nina

***** From the time I've wrote the message, I've had enough time to
change it to a prescott 3.2G 800MHz, so now it works ok (meaning the
CPU and the memories are now 400MHz )

But....The main problem remains: a "right click" on an avi file just
turns off the monitor for 1 -3 seconds :(

Nina

[...]

Hi
For your FSB 533, if it on the box, it's true and you can't set up the
DDR400 FSB800, so it's normal that your MOBO set it to 533. I'm also using
2x DDR400 512 MB Kingston and my sys runs fine @ DDR333. I've a p4B 2.53 Ghz
FSB 533, witch I overclocked @ 2.9 GHz FSB 621....., no problem with my
memory, dual channel of course.
I'm sure you'll find the clue soon.