How to get an external FireWire Hard Drive to take on the ..

I have an External FireWire Hard Drive. I have Created
the Partition & Formatted it. WXP requires me to give it
a Drive Letter before I can access it. I want to
configure the HD so it will automatically take on
the "next available drive letter" instead of having a
fixed letter. My External CDRW & DVDRW drives
automatically get the "next available...". How do you
accomplish this with a HD?
3 answers Last reply
More about external firewire hard drive

    I would suggest you to give a fixed drive letter to the external Hdd, for example, Z Drive. Some applications may need to save the files to a specific folder & drive.
    --
    Peter

    "Philip" wrote:

    > I have an External FireWire Hard Drive. I have Created
    > the Partition & Formatted it. WXP requires me to give it
    > a Drive Letter before I can access it. I want to
    > configure the HD so it will automatically take on
    > the "next available drive letter" instead of having a
    > fixed letter. My External CDRW & DVDRW drives
    > automatically get the "next available...". How do you
    > accomplish this with a HD?

    Well, this would be an issue if I were installing
    software to this drive. This external HD will only be
    used to store data (video & audio editing files) and will
    most likely be passed around between several laptops, and
    the laptops most likely will have different drive letters
    in use, and may also have network drives mapped. If I
    have to have a fixed HD letter I will assign one, but I
    would rather have a "next available" drive letter
    assigned, like CD/DVD drives get.

    The drive letter that is fixed is only fixed on the computer you are
    connecting it to. This information is not stored on the external hard
    drive itself (from my experience anyways). I have never used a FireWire
    drive as mine are all USB and they work by grabbing the next available
    letter. Perhaps someone else knows if this is the same or possible to
    do with FireWire.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    philip tidwell wrote:
    > Well, this would be an issue if I were installing
    > software to this drive. This external HD will only be
    > used to store data (video & audio editing files) and will
    > most likely be passed around between several laptops, and
    > the laptops most likely will have different drive letters
    > in use, and may also have network drives mapped. If I
    > have to have a fixed HD letter I will assign one, but I
    > would rather have a "next available" drive letter
    > assigned, like CD/DVD drives get.

Firewire Hard Drives Windows XP