How to get an external FireWire Hard Drive to take on the ..

I have an External FireWire Hard Drive. I have Created
the Partition & Formatted it. WXP requires me to give it
a Drive Letter before I can access it. I want to
configure the HD so it will automatically take on
the "next available drive letter" instead of having a
fixed letter. My External CDRW & DVDRW drives
automatically get the "next available...". How do you
accomplish this with a HD?

peter

I would suggest you to give a fixed drive letter to the external Hdd, for example, Z Drive. Some applications may need to save the files to a specific folder & drive.
--
Peter

"Philip" wrote:

> I have an External FireWire Hard Drive. I have Created
> the Partition & Formatted it. WXP requires me to give it
> a Drive Letter before I can access it. I want to
> configure the HD so it will automatically take on
> the "next available drive letter" instead of having a
> fixed letter. My External CDRW & DVDRW drives
> automatically get the "next available...". How do you
> accomplish this with a HD?

Well, this would be an issue if I were installing
software to this drive. This external HD will only be
used to store data (video & audio editing files) and will
most likely be passed around between several laptops, and
the laptops most likely will have different drive letters
in use, and may also have network drives mapped. If I
have to have a fixed HD letter I will assign one, but I
would rather have a "next available" drive letter
assigned, like CD/DVD drives get.

The drive letter that is fixed is only fixed on the computer you are
connecting it to. This information is not stored on the external hard
drive itself (from my experience anyways). I have never used a FireWire
drive as mine are all USB and they work by grabbing the next available
letter. Perhaps someone else knows if this is the same or possible to
do with FireWire.

----
Nathan McNulty