Sluggish Network play but smooth single play

schoo006

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
Recently i upgraded one of my 3 pc's with a "new" graphics card (Asus V7100 deluxe combo 32 mb SDRAM g-force2 mx 400)to enable it to run Quake3 Smoothly (the processor is 500 mhz p3 and the chipset is the famous 440BX). I have three Pc's connected by a 100 Mbit Full Duplex Switch ...in which one pc acts as a server. The pc i had to upgrade is the ONLY one that's running Win98 ....the other two use Win ME (i'll fix that some day in the near future ;D) The strange thing here is: that it now DOES run Quake3 very smoothly in SINGLE player mode...but the gameplay gets MAJOR -JERKY and bouncy as soon as i want to play on my OWN server (right next to it) OR on the internet...Even the sound starts hicking real bad. The ping is'nt bad at all. I already switched the network-card, reïnstalled the drivers, placed the card in another PCI-slot and switched ports on the switch itself,...but NOTHING seems to help. Anybody have ANY idea what this could be??

Cerian

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Try changing out the cables. I've had a choppy network communication that I couldn't fingure out until I found a cable that was bad. Just an idea.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
did you install the drivers that came with the card or nvidias reference drivers?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

schoo006

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
nvideas reference drivers....but i had kind of the same problem (huge difference between single- and multiplay-preformance) when i had an old voodoo2 card and an ati-rage 128.