A little success but still problems

Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both itself and
the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop it
tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can see its
own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me that
mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I want is a
simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration. You can
see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I am
going crazy!

Again, Thanks
RJP

I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad news
is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
RJP

"M76" wrote:

> Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
> progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both itself and
> the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop it
> tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can see its
> own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me that
> mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I want is a
> simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration. You can
> see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I am
> going crazy!
>
> Again, Thanks
> RJP

Update: I stopped the computer browser on the laptop only and installed
netbuei on the laptop. Still no change. Ill post more as I do it.

Thanks
RJP

"M76" wrote:

> I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad news
> is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
> RJP
>
> "M76" wrote:
>
> > Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
> > progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both itself and
> > the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop it
> > tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can see its
> > own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me that
> > mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I want is a
> > simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration. You can
> > see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I am
> > going crazy!
> >
> > Again, Thanks
> > RJP

Almost forgot. After stopping the browser service and installing netbeui on
the laptop the pc gets the same mshome is not accessible error. Please help!

THanks
RJP

"M76" wrote:

> Update: I stopped the computer browser on the laptop only and installed
> netbuei on the laptop. Still no change. Ill post more as I do it.
>
> Thanks
> RJP
>
> "M76" wrote:
>
> > I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad news
> > is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
> > RJP
> >
> > "M76" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
> > > progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both itself and
> > > the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop it
> > > tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can see its
> > > own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me that
> > > mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I want is a
> > > simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration. You can
> > > see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I am
> > > going crazy!
> > >
> > > Again, Thanks
> > > RJP

Both PCs should not have the same IP address. The router has a IP address
that the internet will see, but each PC should have its own IP. If you have
a router and 2 PCs there should be 3 unique IP addresses.

"M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad
>news
> is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
> RJP
>
> "M76" wrote:
>
>> Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
>> progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both itself
>> and
>> the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop
>> it
>> tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can see
>> its
>> own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me
>> that
>> mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I want
>> is a
>> simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration. You
>> can
>> see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I
>> am
>> going crazy!
>>
>> Again, Thanks
>> RJP

How would I give each one its own ip and fix it?
Thanks
RJP

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> Both PCs should not have the same IP address. The router has a IP address
> that the internet will see, but each PC should have its own IP. If you have
> a router and 2 PCs there should be 3 unique IP addresses.
>
> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad
> >news
> > is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
> > RJP
> >
> > "M76" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
> >> progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both itself
> >> and
> >> the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop
> >> it
> >> tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can see
> >> its
> >> own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me
> >> that
> >> mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I want
> >> is a
> >> simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration. You
> >> can
> >> see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I
> >> am
> >> going crazy!
> >>
> >> Again, Thanks
> >> RJP

You need to set your router to DHCP enabled by logging into the router. and
then open your wireless connection status window, on the General tab goto
Properties, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) optiona and goto
Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and
"Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected, then goto the
Alternate Configuration Tab and select the "Automatic private IP address"
option, then press OK. After all this restart your system and router and see
if that works.

For Future Info, it would be good to let us know what model router you are
using and the OS's you are using on your computers.

> How would I give each one its own ip and fix it?
> Thanks
> RJP
>
> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> Both PCs should not have the same IP address. The router has a IP address
>> that the internet will see, but each PC should have its own IP. If you
>> have
>> a router and 2 PCs there should be 3 unique IP addresses.
>>
>> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad
>> >news
>> > is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
>> > RJP

I am very lost. I have a linksys router. How would I do this?

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> You need to set your router to DHCP enabled by logging into the router. and
> then open your wireless connection status window, on the General tab goto
> Properties, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) optiona and goto
> Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and
> "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected, then goto the
> Alternate Configuration Tab and select the "Automatic private IP address"
> option, then press OK. After all this restart your system and router and see
> if that works.
>
> For Future Info, it would be good to let us know what model router you are
> using and the OS's you are using on your computers.
>
> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How would I give each one its own ip and fix it?
> > Thanks
> > RJP
> >
> > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
> >
> >> Both PCs should not have the same IP address. The router has a IP address
> >> that the internet will see, but each PC should have its own IP. If you
> >> have
> >> a router and 2 PCs there should be 3 unique IP addresses.
> >>
> >> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I found out how to use my router config and no I have unique IP addresses. I
tried ping again. I can ping the PC from the laptop with no problem.
However when I tried to ping the laptop from the pc it timed out. Any clues?

Thanks again
RJP

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> You need to set your router to DHCP enabled by logging into the router. and
> then open your wireless connection status window, on the General tab goto
> Properties, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) optiona and goto
> Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and
> "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected, then goto the
> Alternate Configuration Tab and select the "Automatic private IP address"
> option, then press OK. After all this restart your system and router and see
> if that works.
>
> For Future Info, it would be good to let us know what model router you are
> using and the OS's you are using on your computers.
>
> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How would I give each one its own ip and fix it?
> > Thanks
> > RJP
> >
> > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
> >
> >> Both PCs should not have the same IP address. The router has a IP address
> >> that the internet will see, but each PC should have its own IP. If you
> >> have
> >> a router and 2 PCs there should be 3 unique IP addresses.
> >>
> >> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Have you run the Wireless network configuration wizard on your computers?
can you access the internet on either of your systems?

"RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found out how to use my router config and no I have unique IP addresses.
> tried ping again. I can ping the PC from the laptop with no problem.
> However when I tried to ping the laptop from the pc it timed out. Any
> clues?
>
> Thanks again
> RJP
>
> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> You need to set your router to DHCP enabled by logging into the router.
>> and
>> then open your wireless connection status window, on the General tab goto
>> Properties, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) optiona and goto
>> Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically"
>> and
>> "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected, then goto the
>> Alternate Configuration Tab and select the "Automatic private IP address"
>> option, then press OK. After all this restart your system and router and
>> see
>> if that works.
>>
>> For Future Info, it would be good to let us know what model router you
>> are
>> using and the OS's you are using on your computers.
>>
>> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How would I give each one its own ip and fix it?
>> > Thanks
>> > RJP

set the router to dchp on
set pc's to obtain ip automatically.

mike

"Robert Jacobs" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Both PCs should not have the same IP address. The router has a IP address
> that the internet will see, but each PC should have its own IP. If you
have
> a router and 2 PCs there should be 3 unique IP addresses.
>
> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been reading the boards and found out how to do a ping. The bad
> >news
> > is both pc's share the same ip address??? I am using a router. Thanks
> > RJP
> >
> > "M76" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello. I've been fooling around with the pc and laptop and I made some
> >> progress. The pc (directly connected to the router) can see both
itself
> >> and
> >> the other computer called the laptop. However, when clicking on laptop
> >> it
> >> tells me I do not have access permissions. Now on the laptop it can
see
> >> its
> >> own files but when clicking on "view workgroup computers" it tells me
> >> that
> >> mshome is not accessible. I think I am close to a solution. All I
want
> >> is a
> >> simple file share. I took some shots of my wireless configuration.
You
> >> can
> >> see them at http://www.pdopticsinc.com/net/config.htm. Please help. I
> >> am
> >> going crazy!
> >>
> >> Again, Thanks
> >> RJP

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Have you tried to turn off the firewall (right click on the network icon in
the systray and click on change windows firewall settings)

--
Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
> Sign up and join the team
> http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751-1BEE-4133-BC8D-1B8F3AF77CCA
"RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found out how to use my router config and no I have unique IP addresses.
> tried ping again. I can ping the PC from the laptop with no problem.
> However when I tried to ping the laptop from the pc it timed out. Any
> clues?
>
> Thanks again
> RJP
>
> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> You need to set your router to DHCP enabled by logging into the router.
>> and
>> then open your wireless connection status window, on the General tab goto
>> Properties, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) optiona and goto
>> Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically"
>> and
>> "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected, then goto the
>> Alternate Configuration Tab and select the "Automatic private IP address"
>> option, then press OK. After all this restart your system and router and
>> see
>> if that works.
>>
>> For Future Info, it would be good to let us know what model router you
>> are
>> using and the OS's you are using on your computers.
>>
>> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How would I give each one its own ip and fix it?
>> > Thanks
>> > RJP

Finally!!!! My network works! I ran the wireless network wizard, disabled
norton firewall and all works. Now the last thing. I am trying to transfer
a 2.56gig folder from one comp to the next over my wireless connection. It
tells me it will take 101 minutes when I drag it through win explorer and
then hangs. How can I do this the reliable and quick way? Here is an image
of my wireless network connection (
http://www.pdopticsinc.com/palka/net.jpg). ANy help will be appreciated and
thanks so much for everything already!

RJP

"Tony" wrote:

> Have you tried to turn off the firewall (right click on the network icon in
> the systray and click on change windows firewall settings)
>
> --
> Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
> > Sign up and join the team
> > http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751-1BEE-4133-BC8D-1B8F3AF77CCA
> "RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I found out how to use my router config and no I have unique IP addresses.
> > tried ping again. I can ping the PC from the laptop with no problem.
> > However when I tried to ping the laptop from the pc it timed out. Any
> > clues?
> >
> > Thanks again
> > RJP
> >
> > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to set your router to DHCP enabled by logging into the router.
> >> and
> >> then open your wireless connection status window, on the General tab goto
> >> Properties, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) optiona and goto
> >> Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically"
> >> and
> >> "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected, then goto the
> >> Alternate Configuration Tab and select the "Automatic private IP address"
> >> option, then press OK. After all this restart your system and router and
> >> see
> >> if that works.
> >>
> >> For Future Info, it would be good to let us know what model router you
> >> are
> >> using and the OS's you are using on your computers.
> >>
> >> "M76" <M76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PS - Is there a way or program that will back up my network configuration in
case I need to reload again?

RJP

"RJP" wrote:

> Finally!!!! My network works! I ran the wireless network wizard, disabled
> norton firewall and all works. Now the last thing. I am trying to transfer
> a 2.56gig folder from one comp to the next over my wireless connection. It
> tells me it will take 101 minutes when I drag it through win explorer and
> then hangs. How can I do this the reliable and quick way? Here is an image
> of my wireless network connection (
> http://www.pdopticsinc.com/palka/net.jpg). ANy help will be appreciated and
> thanks so much for everything already!
>
> RJP
>
> "Tony" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried to turn off the firewall (right click on the network icon in
> > the systray and click on change windows firewall settings)
> >
> > --
> > Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
> > > Sign up and join the team
> > > http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751-1BEE-4133-BC8D-1B8F3AF77CCA
> > "RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I found out how to use my router config and no I have unique IP addresses.
> > > tried ping again. I can ping the PC from the laptop with no problem.
> > > However when I tried to ping the laptop from the pc it timed out. Any
> > > clues?
> > >
> > > Thanks again
> > > RJP

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

> Finally!!!! My network works! I ran the wireless network wizard,
> disabled
> norton firewall and all works. Now the last thing. I am trying to
> transfer
> a 2.56gig folder from one comp to the next over my wireless connection.
> It
> tells me it will take 101 minutes when I drag it through win explorer and
> then hangs. How can I do this the reliable and quick way? Here is an
> image
> of my wireless network connection (
> http://www.pdopticsinc.com/palka/net.jpg). ANy help will be appreciated
> and
> thanks so much for everything already!
>
> RJP

Try right click on the folder and select copy then open destination folder,
right click and select paste