Any Ideas? A8n sli deluxe, xp pro load fails crc, mem good

tawpgk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

Hi all,

Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
installation, I get this message:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
then:
Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
redundancy check)

then reboots on hitting OK.

Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks ago.

I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
mobo?

--
Tom Wendelken
University of Phoenix Student

tawpgk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
> installation, I get this message:
>
> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
> then:
> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
> redundancy check)
>
> then reboots on hitting OK.
>
> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
> mobo?

Not likely. Google is your friend.

"tawpgk" <tawpgk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
> installation, I get this message:
>
> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
> then:
> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
> redundancy check)
>
> then reboots on hitting OK.
>
> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks
ago.

> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
> mobo?
>
> --
> Tom Wendelken
> University of Phoenix Student
> tawjr@email.uophx.edu yahoo: tawpgk
> Eastern Time Zone (New Jersey)

Is the memory good enough for this board though? Like all nForce 3 & 4
boards, A8N-SLi is picky. I have seen S939 boards that pass memtest86 while
still refusing to play ball withWindows XP. I'm afraid to say that I think
you are now into the realms of eliminating components to find the problem.
My gut feeling is RAM though.

Jon

tawpgk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

"40 PC SOCKET SET" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "tawpgk" <tawpgk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
>> installation, I get this message:
>>
>> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
>> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
>> then:
>> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
>> redundancy check)
>>
>> then reboots on hitting OK.
>>
>> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
>> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
>> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks
> ago.
>>
>> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
>> mobo?
>>
>> --
>> Tom Wendelken
>> University of Phoenix Student
>> tawjr@email.uophx.edu yahoo: tawpgk
>> Eastern Time Zone (New Jersey)
>
> Is the memory good enough for this board though? Like all nForce 3 & 4
> boards, A8N-SLi is picky. I have seen S939 boards that pass memtest86
> while
> still refusing to play ball withWindows XP. I'm afraid to say that I
> think
> you are now into the realms of eliminating components to find the problem.
> My gut feeling is RAM though.
>
> Jon

Jon,

the memory should be good enough to play. I have Corsair XMS low latency
ram - twinx1024-3200xl. no overclocking.
rated at 2-2-2-5. would it be worthwhile to override the settings in the
bios to 2-3-3-6? I am not familiar with what number correspond to cas ras,
etc. if you give me a pointer.

I was able to load the XP64 beta with no errors. for some reason the
Ethernet driver would not install right with the 64bit NVIDIA driver.

> Tom Wendelken
> University of Phoenix Student
> tawjr@email.uophx.edu yahoo: tawpgk
> Eastern Time Zone (New Jersey)
> "40 PC SOCKET SET" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "tawpgk" <tawpgk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
>>> installation, I get this message:
>>>
>>> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
>>> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
>>> then:
>>> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
>>> redundancy check)
>>>
>>> then reboots on hitting OK.
>>>
>>> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
>>> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
>>> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks
>> ago.
>>>
>>> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
>>> mobo?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom Wendelken
>>> University of Phoenix Student
>>> tawjr@email.uophx.edu yahoo: tawpgk
>>> Eastern Time Zone (New Jersey)

Looks to me like a cdrom problem. It could be as simple as a scratched CD
(dont laugh. I've seen people spend HOURS troubleshooting an install, then
when I look at the XP disc, it's scratched to hell).
It could even be a cdrom hardware error (either dying cdrom, or other setup
problem),
Cyclic Reduncy Check is definately cd related (I get them when I try to read
a scratched cd).

tawpgk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
> installation, I get this message:
>
> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
> then:
> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
> redundancy check)
>
> then reboots on hitting OK.
>
> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
> mobo?

How do you know the memory is good?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> tawpgk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
>> installation, I get this message:
>>
>> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
>> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
>> then:
>> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
>> redundancy check)
>>
>> then reboots on hitting OK.
>>
>> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
>> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
>> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks
>> ago.
>>
>> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
>> mobo?
>>

> How do you know the memory is good?
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

Memtst86 ran for about 12-15 hours without an error.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Flakey CD's are common...

Create a fat32 partition and using a dos boot disk with CD drivers, copy the
cd to it and try the setup from there.

It is not a good idea to install xp onto fat32 (even if you convert to NTFS
after), so if you have a spare hdd or the tools, create the fat32 partition
out of the way so that the XP NTFS partition is created in the right place
long term.

"tawpgk" <tawpgk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Another problem loading windows. after the reboot to continue the
> installation, I get this message:
>
> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
> E:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\Windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4.
> then:
> Installation failed: E:\I386\ASMS. Error Message: Data Error (cyclic
> redundancy check)
>
> then reboots on hitting OK.
>
> Memory is good, tried reading the disk from 2 different drives, tried 2
> different cd's, and still come up with the same error. didn't have this
> issue when I loaded it out in an msi neo2 plat board a couple of weeks
> ago.
>
> I am scratching my head over here. Could it have anything to do with the
> mobo?
>
> --
> Tom Wendelken
> University of Phoenix Student
> tawjr@email.uophx.edu yahoo: tawpgk
> Eastern Time Zone (New Jersey)

tawpgk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

Thanks for the advice Mercury. I used your suggestion and learned a couple
of things. Bottom line is that the obvious answer was the correct one - bad
cd. I had thought incorrectly that restarting the install with the a
different disk would work, but the backup copy must not have had sp1 on it
or something because it choked on the checksum.