In your opinions what is the best Asus desktop motherboard.

What is the best motherboard for desktops?
No sound or video nic or anything else built in.
Intel chipset.
Price is a factor.
Maximum number of pci slots available
I know this is not much information but if you need anymore just let me
know.

Paul

Splendid

In article <ct02ta$5m9$1@wildfire.prairienet.org>, "R"
<rlcostle@prairienet.org> wrote:

> What is the best motherboard for desktops?
> No sound or video nic or anything else built in.
> Intel chipset.
> Price is a factor.
> Maximum number of pci slots available
> I know this is not much information but if you need anymore just let me
> know.

P4P800-E Deluxe $117 Newegg (dual channel DDR memory, 5 PCI, 1 AGP)
This board is based on 865PE Northbridge. Dual channel allows you to
get the best memory bandwidth, by using two matching DDR DIMMs.

Boards to avoid:
The -MX and -VM models are microATX boards, and only have 3 PCI.
And a board with 865GV Northbridge has no AGP slot at all.
Boards with 848P Northbridge are single channel DDR memory, meaning
less memory bandwidth for the processor.

If you are overclocking, then a P4C800 or P4C800-E board has
a 875 Northbridge, and there will be fewer problems with video
artifacts at 250MHz CPU clock or higher. (Assuming normal CPU
closk is 200MHz for a FSB800 processor.) A P4C800-E is around $180.

The above mentioned boards are S478 based, and S478 processors
are disappearing from the retail chain, so whatever processor you
pair with the board, may be the last S478 processor you buy for it.

The next best thing would be a P5P800 board. It is like a P4P800
board, only it has an LGA775 processor socket, and LGA775 is the
mainstream socket for Intel right now. The P5P800 is listed as
$95 on Newegg, but is currently out of stock. Zipzoomfly has
it for $95.50 . If you currently own a S478 processor, then
you'll need to pick up an LGA775 socket processor, to use this
board.

There are a number of P5xxx boards, but those have PCI Express
graphics. Depending on the chipset used, the boards use either
DDR or DDR2 memory. (DDR2 is a bit more expensive.) None of the
boards offer 5 PCI, but have a mix of PCI Express x1 slots and
PCI normal slots.

So, if you want max PCI slots, you want an older generation of
boards, like the P4P800/P4C800 or a P5P800 board. Or buy a P5xxx
and an expensive PCI expansion chassis for your old PCI cards.
An expansion chassis won't be quite as fast as a native PCI
slot, but for many applications will be good enough.

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/ (Magma PCI to PCI expansion)

HTH,
Paul

Thank you Paul I apprciate the your advice.