  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 16, 2005 4:57:03 AM

Why do I see no more than 54 Mbps on the Configuration Utility status line?
The product literature says the WG111T can operate at 108 Mbps.

I am, also, using the 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Router.

Following message taken from the CD Manual that came with the 108Mpbs USB
Adapter:-

If your computer does not have a USB v2.0 port but rather a USB v1.1 type
port, the WG111T will be limited to the maximum speed of the USB v1.1 port.
USB v1.1 port maximum speed is 14 Mbps whereas the maximum speed of a USB
v2.0 port is 480 Mbps. PC computers can be upgraded with optional add-on USB
v2.0 adapters that provide one or more USB v2.0 ports.
If you are already using a USB 2.0 controller, make sure that you are using
the correct driver for USB 2.0.For Windows XP, you need to upgrade your
system to Service Pack 1 in order to utilize the USB 2.0 port.

How do I know if I have a USB v2.0 or USB v1.1 type port, I have upgraded to
service pack1 a while ago.
Do I need an add on adapter?

More about : mbps

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 16, 2005 5:20:00 AM

USB 2.0 is a hardware upgrade not a software ubgrade. Look at the specs of
your computer. It will tell you if you have USB 2.0.

Also, what type of Modem/Router are you using? Most wireless gear needs to
not only be configured to use the "Boosted" throughput, but also require the
same name brand equipment.

> Why do I see no more than 54 Mbps on the Configuration Utility status
> line?
> The product literature says the WG111T can operate at 108 Mbps.
>
> I am, also, using the 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Router.
>
> Following message taken from the CD Manual that came with the 108Mpbs USB
> Adapter:-
>

> If your computer does not have a USB v2.0 port but rather a USB v1.1 type
> port, the WG111T will be limited to the maximum speed of the USB v1.1
> port.
> USB v1.1 port maximum speed is 14 Mbps whereas the maximum speed of a USB
> v2.0 port is 480 Mbps. PC computers can be upgraded with optional add-on
> USB
> v2.0 adapters that provide one or more USB v2.0 ports.
> If you are already using a USB 2.0 controller, make sure that you are
> using
> the correct driver for USB 2.0.For Windows XP, you need to upgrade your
> system to Service Pack 1 in order to utilize the USB 2.0 port.
>

> How do I know if I have a USB v2.0 or USB v1.1 type port, I have upgraded
> service pack1 a while ago.
> Do I need an add on adapter?

January 16, 2005 7:11:02 AM

Thanks Robert

I have checked my pc and I have no USB 2.0 Available,

I had a message pop saying :

There are no HI-SPEED USB HOST CONTROLLERS installed on this computer.

You must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain
maximum performance.

Could you let me know what an Hi-Speed USB hos controller is please.

Cheers
Paul

Also I have the make of Router has the USB.

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> USB 2.0 is a hardware upgrade not a software ubgrade. Look at the specs of
> your computer. It will tell you if you have USB 2.0.
>
> Also, what type of Modem/Router are you using? Most wireless gear needs to
> not only be configured to use the "Boosted" throughput, but also require the
> same name brand equipment.
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why do I see no more than 54 Mbps on the Configuration Utility status
> > line?
> > The product literature says the WG111T can operate at 108 Mbps.
> >
> > I am, also, using the 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Router.
> >
> > Following message taken from the CD Manual that came with the 108Mpbs USB
> > Adapter:-
> >

> > If your computer does not have a USB v2.0 port but rather a USB v1.1 type
> > port, the WG111T will be limited to the maximum speed of the USB v1.1
> > port.
> > USB v1.1 port maximum speed is 14 Mbps whereas the maximum speed of a USB
> > v2.0 port is 480 Mbps. PC computers can be upgraded with optional add-on
> > USB
> > v2.0 adapters that provide one or more USB v2.0 ports.
> > If you are already using a USB 2.0 controller, make sure that you are
> > using
> > the correct driver for USB 2.0.For Windows XP, you need to upgrade your
> > system to Service Pack 1 in order to utilize the USB 2.0 port.
> >

> > How do I know if I have a USB v2.0 or USB v1.1 type port, I have upgraded
> > service pack1 a while ago.
> > Do I need an add on adapter?

a b F Wireless
January 16, 2005 9:53:55 AM

You can buy a USB 2.0 card and install it in your system easily from any
computer store. Also you will not find a router that is USB, they are all
ethernet. The USB is only for your wireless adapter you want to connect. Is
your modem USB or Ethernet? USB modems are a bit trickier to set up for
sharing internet connections.

Robert...
> Thanks Robert
>
> I have checked my pc and I have no USB 2.0 Available,
>

> I had a message pop saying :
>
> There are no HI-SPEED USB HOST CONTROLLERS installed on this computer.
>
> You must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain
> maximum performance.
>
> Could you let me know what an Hi-Speed USB hos controller is please.
>
> Cheers
> Paul
>

> Also I have the make of Router has the USB.
>
> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> USB 2.0 is a hardware upgrade not a software ubgrade. Look at the specs
>> of
>> your computer. It will tell you if you have USB 2.0.
>>
>> Also, what type of Modem/Router are you using? Most wireless gear needs
>> not only be configured to use the "Boosted" throughput, but also require
>> the
>> same name brand equipment.
>>
>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Why do I see no more than 54 Mbps on the Configuration Utility status
>> > line?
>> > The product literature says the WG111T can operate at 108 Mbps.
>> >
>> > I am, also, using the 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Router.
>> >
>> > Following message taken from the CD Manual that came with the 108Mpbs
>> > USB
>> > Adapter:-
>> >

>> > If your computer does not have a USB v2.0 port but rather a USB v1.1
>> > type
>> > port, the WG111T will be limited to the maximum speed of the USB v1.1
>> > port.
>> > USB v1.1 port maximum speed is 14 Mbps whereas the maximum speed of a
>> > USB
>> > v2.0 port is 480 Mbps. PC computers can be upgraded with optional
>> > add-on
>> > USB
>> > v2.0 adapters that provide one or more USB v2.0 ports.
>> > If you are already using a USB 2.0 controller, make sure that you are
>> > using
>> > the correct driver for USB 2.0.For Windows XP, you need to upgrade your
>> > system to Service Pack 1 in order to utilize the USB 2.0 port.
>> >

>> > How do I know if I have a USB v2.0 or USB v1.1 type port, I have
>> > upgraded
>> > service pack1 a while ago.
>> > Do I need an add on adapter?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 16, 2005 10:03:42 AM

Ill ammend my No USB router by saying it might be possible to find a
modem/router combo thats USB.

"Robert Jacobs" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> You can buy a USB 2.0 card and install it in your system easily from any
> computer store. Also you will not find a router that is USB, they are all
> ethernet. The USB is only for your wireless adapter you want to connect.
> Is your modem USB or Ethernet? USB modems are a bit trickier to set up for
> sharing internet connections.
>
> Robert...
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Robert
>>
>> I have checked my pc and I have no USB 2.0 Available,
>>

>> I had a message pop saying :
>>
>> There are no HI-SPEED USB HOST CONTROLLERS installed on this computer.
>>
>> You must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain
>> maximum performance.
>>
>> Could you let me know what an Hi-Speed USB hos controller is please.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Paul
>>

>> Also I have the make of Router has the USB.
>>
>> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>>
>>> USB 2.0 is a hardware upgrade not a software ubgrade. Look at the specs
>>> of
>>> your computer. It will tell you if you have USB 2.0.
>>>
>>> Also, what type of Modem/Router are you using? Most wireless gear needs
>>> not only be configured to use the "Boosted" throughput, but also require
>>> the
>>> same name brand equipment.
>>>
>>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

January 16, 2005 4:09:19 PM

> Thanks Robert
>
> I have checked my pc and I have no USB 2.0 Available,
>

> I had a message pop saying :
>
> There are no HI-SPEED USB HOST CONTROLLERS installed on this computer.
>
> You must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain
> maximum performance.
>
> Could you let me know what an Hi-Speed USB hos controller is please.

about $12 plus shipping

see: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=52086...
!