A7N8X-E Deluxe - Onboard NIC, No MAC Address ?

Just purchased this board and have spent a while trying to get the onboard
NIC to work (10/100). DHCP will not issue an address and finally just put a
3com in to see what is going on. Still not working but discovered all my
DHCP addresses have been leased to MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00 and it
turns out this is the default of the onboard NIC.

Is this normal ? I have never seen network hardware without a built in MAC
address before ! There is a setting to set it in Network settings but I find
it very unusual.

Regards

Michael
2 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe onboard address

    In article <ct3j4d$6t3$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "Michael Hudson"
    <mhudsonNOSPAM@N.O.S.P.A.M.enterprise.net> wrote:

    > Just purchased this board and have spent a while trying to get the onboard
    > NIC to work (10/100). DHCP will not issue an address and finally just put a
    > 3com in to see what is going on. Still not working but discovered all my
    > DHCP addresses have been leased to MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00 and it
    > turns out this is the default of the onboard NIC.
    >
    > Is this normal ? I have never seen network hardware without a built in MAC
    > address before ! There is a setting to set it in Network settings but I find
    > it very unusual.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Michael

    There is some info here:
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21050

    Paul

    Michael Hudson wrote:
    > Just purchased this board and have spent a while trying to get the
    > onboard NIC to work (10/100). DHCP will not issue an address and
    > finally just put a 3com in to see what is going on. Still not
    > working but discovered all my DHCP addresses have been leased to MAC
    > address 00-00-00-00-00-00 and it turns out this is the default of the
    > onboard NIC.

    That shouldn't be the default MAC address. You should find the correct MAC
    address on a sticker somewhere on the board, can't remember if it's on an
    IDE or floppy connector or something.

    > Is this normal ? I have never seen network hardware without a built
    > in MAC address before ! There is a setting to set it in Network
    > settings but I find it very unusual.

    Sometimes you can lose the MAC adress when flashing the BIOS, there should
    be an option for AWDFlash to set it.

    Ben

Asus NIC Mac Address Motherboards