A7N8X-E Deluxe - Onboard NIC, No MAC Address ?

Just purchased this board and have spent a while trying to get the onboard
NIC to work (10/100). DHCP will not issue an address and finally just put a
3com in to see what is going on. Still not working but discovered all my
DHCP addresses have been leased to MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00 and it
turns out this is the default of the onboard NIC.

Is this normal ? I have never seen network hardware without a built in MAC
address before ! There is a setting to set it in Network settings but I find
it very unusual.

Regards

Michael

Paul

Splendid

In article <ct3j4d$6t3$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "Michael Hudson"
<mhudsonNOSPAM@N.O.S.P.A.M.enterprise.net> wrote:

> Just purchased this board and have spent a while trying to get the onboard
> NIC to work (10/100). DHCP will not issue an address and finally just put a
> 3com in to see what is going on. Still not working but discovered all my
> DHCP addresses have been leased to MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00 and it
> turns out this is the default of the onboard NIC.
>
> Is this normal ? I have never seen network hardware without a built in MAC
> address before ! There is a setting to set it in Network settings but I find
> it very unusual.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael

There is some info here:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21050

Paul

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Just purchased this board and have spent a while trying to get the
> onboard NIC to work (10/100). DHCP will not issue an address and
> finally just put a 3com in to see what is going on. Still not
> working but discovered all my DHCP addresses have been leased to MAC
> address 00-00-00-00-00-00 and it turns out this is the default of the
> onboard NIC.

That shouldn't be the default MAC address. You should find the correct MAC
address on a sticker somewhere on the board, can't remember if it's on an
IDE or floppy connector or something.

> Is this normal ? I have never seen network hardware without a built
> in MAC address before ! There is a setting to set it in Network
> settings but I find it very unusual.

Sometimes you can lose the MAC adress when flashing the BIOS, there should
be an option for AWDFlash to set it.

Ben