Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Ok what is the trick to aiming the rocket launcher on the back of the Hog? I
can't seem to target it correctly. And how about the sniper rifle? When not
using the scope I swear I am aiming dead at someone but I miss. Besides
being a "Freakin' Noob" what am I doing wrong? Thanks

somebody

"Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message
> Ok what is the trick to aiming the rocket launcher on the back of the Hog?
> can't seem to target it correctly.

Well the rocket comes out from a place below your line of sight. This only
matters when you are very close to something. Note that your viewpoint (and
therefor the reticule) are above the barrel of the RL. But any time beyond
right close it doesn't matter.

The RL when still, shooting at a still target, is perfectly accurate. That
is, unless the trajectory crosses something (because it's low) it will
precisely hit what is targeted. Even when it's *really* far away. What
modifies this? Well, if you're moving, so is your viewpoint. When you
fire, your rocket will come out of the barrel bound for exactly where the
barrel was pointed. Things to note: Your barrel may not be pointing where
you think! Because the barrel rotates slowly. Your viewpoint moves
quickly. You can get ahead of the barrel, or, the movements of the hog can
move the barrel in ways you dont' expect any time it moves at a rate that
exceeds the turret's turn rate, even though your reticule is still on
target. So, if you wait until the barrel stops moving, ie is pointed
exactly where the reticule is, and your are on a stable gunning platform,
and you hit the button, you can expect that unless it is intercepted, the
rocket will travel to exactly where the reticule was pointing. If it's a
stationary target, you should hit it. If you are moving note that there is
a small delay between pushing the button and the egress of the rocket. The
other thing is that after you fire the barrel vibrates all around. You need
to let this calm down before you fire again, if you want precision, because
rapid fire shots will lose precision just like most of the other weapons in
Halo do. Also, if the rocket doesn't hit something it doesn't explode. So,
if you target a person but miss, and your target was direclty at them, you
only have to miss them by an inch and they take no damage as the rocket
sails merrily past. OTOH, if you target the ground at their feet or the
rock beside them, even if you're off by a bit, the splash damage will get
them when the rocket detonates. Lastly the rocket is terribly terribly
slow. If your target is moving, you have to shoot way in front of it.
Practice this because learning to lead rocket shots at a distance is a
formidable skill. And of course, anybody that's alert will see it coming
and change course, so keep that in mind when you are picking your target.
You get 3 shots, spend them wisely, the reload takes forever. If you're
spent one or two and have nothing to shoot at, reload immediately so you
have 3 ready when a target appears. Hog drivers should be counting shots
too in a heavy fight and when three go off they need to know their gunner
will not be firing for a bit and drive accordingly. They should also be
thinking about sheilds, any time a gunner loses a bar his shields are gone
and the driver should find a spot to hide and let him recharge before
continuing the attack, if that's feasible. The gunner usually gets hit
worse than the driver because he's more exposed. If you're in my game I
will pick the gunner off the hog first with my pistol without even touching
the driver. Lastly, for heavens sake don't shoot the rocket too close to
the hog, you can easily flip it or kill your driver or even yourself.
Either by targetting the ground too close, an object that is close, or an
object that is approaching and will be too close by the time the rocket hits
it.

>And how about the sniper rifle? When not
> using the scope I swear I am aiming dead at someone but I miss. Besides
> being a "Freakin' Noob" what am I doing wrong? Thanks

The sniper rifle is extremely precise. Having something in the reticule at a
distance is not good enough with zoom off. It will hit dead center of the
reticule which could still miss your target. Even 500 meters away on full
zoom you can hit a particular body part by targetting it. To find out how
far you are off on non-zoom (for stationary objects) target it it and take a
look a what is encompassed by the reticule. Now take your hand off the
mouse, and go to 8x zoom. Now you know *exactly* where you were pointing.
The bullet will hit dead center of the zoom view reticule-- all that other
stuff that was inside the reticule at non-zoom won't get hit. Zoom back
out, fire, and you'll hit that tiny little spot. The sniper rifle is almost
instantaneous, don't lead shots with it. If you're trying to fight with it
at close range on non zoom, wait the extra half second for your shot and
take it when it's perfect. It's strong enough for 1 shot kills a lot of the
time at close range. It's a wickedly powerful close range weapon but by far
the hardest to use in that role. It also goes *through* people so if your
ally is behind your target, you might hurt him by accident. You can get
multiple kills with one bullet with the SR if you're lucky and good. Never
cross in front of a stationary sniper, he can't see you approach because
he's zoomed in and in his zoom view you will just suddenly appear as a big
blurry shape that blocks his view. If your timing is unlucky his bullet
will kill you on its way to the intended target.

-Russ.

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

"Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message
> Ok what is the trick to aiming the rocket launcher on the back of the Hog?
> can't seem to target it correctly. And how about the sniper rifle? When
not
> using the scope I swear I am aiming dead at someone but I miss. Besides
> being a "Freakin' Noob" what am I doing wrong? Thanks

lol, rl sights seem a bit high to me. The trick is to just anticipate your
target, and allow for the firing delay and lag.
If you miss with the rifle they you are not on target obviously.
This all means practice...

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

"Somebody" <somebody@nospam.russdoucet.com> wrote in message

Snipped well thought out informative content so as to save space
> > -Russ.

Thanks Russ, those are some excellent hints.

somebody

> "Somebody" <somebody@nospam.russdoucet.com> wrote in message
> >
> Snipped well thought out informative content so as to save space
> > > -Russ.
>
> Thanks Russ, those are some excellent hints.

You're welcome. See you on the battlefield.

-Russ.