Bootable USB HDD

I am posting my experience in making an external USB HDD bootable as an aide
to others who may be having the same problem. My OS is WINXP Pro formatted
NTFS and the external drive is formatted FAT32.

I have an external usb/firewire enclosure in which is housed an IBM DJSA 230
2.5" HDD. I have been using this setup for about a year to store backups
and the like. I used the system on both my desktop (USB 2.0) and laptop
(firewire).

I upgraded my desktop to a system that has a motherboard that allows booting
from a USB HDD. I then tried to make my external enclosure bootable and ran
into complications.

Initially I simply transferred (sys) DOS ver 7.0 OS onto the external HDD
(FAT32), made the drive active in WINXP, changed the boot order in the
desktop BIOS and tried to boot. The boot process hung, although the
external drive was recognised. I then booted to DOS via a floppy and
repartioned the drive using fdisk, making a single primary partition. fdisk
identified the external drive as Drive 3, I have two SATA drives on my
desktop. I formatted the partition and reloaded the OS (Sys c:) from my
bootable floppy. So far so good.

I then tried to make the drive active, using fdisk and found that I couldn't
as fdisk will only allow the first drive to be made active and the external
drive is recognised as Drive 3. So back to WINXP to make the drive active
there (Control Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Management). I changed the boot
order back to USB-HDD first and tried to reboot. The system again hung
during the bootup as before.

For whatever reason I concluded the problem may be a MBR problem so I tried
to recreate the MBR using fdisk /mbr. Fortunately before I tried that I
read that fdisk /mbr will only rewrite the mbr on the first drive in the
system. To rewrite the mbr for another drive (in my case drive 3) I either
had to disconnect my two SATA fixed drives (which would make the external
drive, drive 1) or find an alternative to fdisk. By searching Google I
found the symantec gdisk.exe, bundled with Ghost, will allow rewriting mbr
on disks other that the first. gdisk used to be available as freeware but
not anymore. Fortunately I was able to download an old copy of the gdisk
freeware version from a site by searching using Google. I recreated mbr
(gdisk 3 /mbr) and the machine now boots from the external drive without
problems.

I believe my experience only relates to previously used HDD. If a new drive
is partitioned using fdisk anew mbr is created however when an old drive is
repartitioned fdisk does not recreate the mbr. Why the mbr was the source
of ther proble, I have no idea. I don't have that level of knowledge, but
my experience suggests that if anyone is trying to make a previously used
HDD bootable via an external enclosure, re creating the drive mbr will be
required.

Before I embarked on this 'enterprise' I did look up as many references as I
could find on what was entailed to make an external usb drive bootable and
all my references suggested using fdisk, which for me gave problems, and
none indicated that recreating the mbr will/may be required.

Hope this may be of assistance to others.
10 answers Last reply
More about bootable

    Just a note. You MUST have a BIOS that supports External USB Storage
    Devices. If you have an Intel i865 or i875 Chipset, you can boot from
    external USB Storage devices without any extra effort. Most of this is
    trying to figure out a way to workaround the BIOS if your motherboard
    doesn't support this.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:
> [...]
    > problems.
    >
    > I believe my experience only relates to previously used HDD. If a new drive
    > is partitioned using fdisk anew mbr is created however when an old drive is
    > repartitioned fdisk does not recreate the mbr. Why the mbr was the source
    > of ther proble, I have no idea. I don't have that level of knowledge, but
    > my experience suggests that if anyone is trying to make a previously used
    > HDD bootable via an external enclosure, re creating the drive mbr will be
    > required.
    >
    > Before I embarked on this 'enterprise' I did look up as many references as I
    > could find on what was entailed to make an external usb drive bootable and
    > all my references suggested using fdisk, which for me gave problems, and
    > none indicated that recreating the mbr will/may be required.
    >
    > Hope this may be of assistance to others.

    Firstly, if you read the post I think I made it clear that my new
    motherboard does support booting from a USB HDD.

    Secondly, the point of the post was to advise others, who like me, may not
    know, that fdisk has limitations and the apparent need, at least in my case,
    to recreate the mbr if the drive had been previously partitioned.

    While I may be wrong, I don't think there is any 'work around' if the BIOS
    does not support booting from the HDD.

    My post has nothing to do with a 'work around'.

    Don't you take the time to read what is written, however imperfectly,
    before you jump in?

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > source
    > > > of ther proble, I have no idea. I don't have that level of knowledge,
    > but
    > > > my experience suggests that if anyone is trying to make a previously
    > used
    > > > HDD bootable via an external enclosure, re creating the drive mbr will
    > be
    > > > required.
    > > >
    > > > Before I embarked on this 'enterprise' I did look up as many
    references
    > as I
    > > > could find on what was entailed to make an external usb drive bootable
    > and
    > > > all my references suggested using fdisk, which for me gave problems,
    and
    > > > none indicated that recreating the mbr will/may be required.
    > > >
    > > > Hope this may be of assistance to others.

    Ed:
    Based on my own experience, to the best of my knowledge you cannot boot from
    a USB external hard drive. Hardly a week passes where I don't come across
    postings in various newsgroups as well as information on various web sites
    that state that "you can boot from a USB external hard drive as long as your
    motherboard's BIOS supports this capability", or words to that effect. I've
    worked with a variety of modern motherboards, many of which contain a BIOS
    element indicating a USB boot capability, but I've yet to boot to a USB
    external hard drive containing a cloned XP operating system. And I have yet
    to come across a *documented* source indicating this capability is actually
    achievable.

    The following is from Western FAQs:
    Question: Can I boot my computer using an external (FireWire, USB, Combo)
    hard drive?

    Answer: Western Digital does not provide technical support for booting your
    computer using an external hard drive. BIOS manufacturers who design PC
    system BIOS chips have informed Western Digital that it is not currently
    possible to boot your computer with an external hard drive.

    I also queried Symantec Technical Support on this issue and here's their
    response:
    "Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

    You wanted to know if you could boot from a external USB drive that you have
    cloned to using Norton Ghost.

    The issue at hand would be whether the drive would be recognized in the boot
    sequence of your system. To the best of my knowledge, there is no
    motherboard that supports booting from external devices currently. This
    really has nothing to do with Norton Ghost."

    In addition, I raised the question with two local computer technicians in
    our area; both of whom stated that USB external drives are not bootable.

    Using Symantec's Ghost 2003, I routinely clone my internal hard drives to
    USB external hard drives. I can, when the need arises, clone the external
    drive back to the fixed internal one and under those circumstances the
    internal drive will be bootable.

    If anyone has personally booted from a USB external hard drive or witnessed
    such, I would certainly be grateful to hear about it.

    Art

    The OP stated quite succinctly, "The machine now boots from
    the external drive without problems." Do you think he's
    lying?

    LOL, I never attacked the OP, nor did I mean to offend anyone. I was
    just adding a little side note. Yes, booting off USB devices is simple
    if your BIOS supports it. I don't even need a floppy drive since my
    computer can boot off my USB Flash Drive. You simply have to have a
    BIOS that supports this and set it up correctly. And just to note,
    there are almost always workarounds. If you needed to boot off a USB
    Harddrive and your BIOS does not support it, you use a floppy to load
    the proper drivers and boot off that harddrive (which could all be
    automated).

    Again, to the OP, it was not my intention to offend you, but to expound
    a little bit and offer examples.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Wislu Plethora wrote:
> [...]

    You've certainly confused me now. What do you mean re your work around?
    Load USB drivers from a floppy to a Hard drive, then boot the system from an
    external USB Drive, unless I am missing something pretty fundemental here I
    don't think so. The machine will not recognise the USB drivers you load
    until the machine is booted up using the OS on the hard drive . This is not
    the same as booting directly from a USB HDD when the machine reads the OS
    from the USB HDD. Surely one of the most significant reasons to boot from a
    USB HDD is to give an alternative means to start a machine in the event of a
    failure of the fixed HDD system.

    With regards to the rest of your post, I think I am justified to say I was
    offended. I posted in good faith to give information to those who may be
    trying to boot from an external USB drive. I had some problems that I
    worked through and thought my experience may save others the same trouble I
    had. Your post did nothing but implied I have mad it all up and that you
    cannot boot directly from and external USB HDD. As far as I know, from my
    searches of Google, there is not similar info available re problems of using
    fdisk and recreating the mbr.

    I really wonder what you do when you really set out to offend :-).

    > LOL, I never attacked the OP, nor did I mean to offend anyone. I was
    > just adding a little side note. Yes, booting off USB devices is simple
    > if your BIOS supports it. I don't even need a floppy drive since my
    > computer can boot off my USB Flash Drive. You simply have to have a
    > BIOS that supports this and set it up correctly. And just to note,
    > there are almost always workarounds. If you needed to boot off a USB
    > Harddrive and your BIOS does not support it, you use a floppy to load
    > the proper drivers and boot off that harddrive (which could all be
    > automated).
    >
    > Again, to the OP, it was not my intention to offend you, but to expound
    > a little bit and offer examples.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Wislu Plethora wrote:

    I would like to hear you explain how I "implied you made it all up." I
    did nothing but confirm exactly what you said. I only added that a BIOS
    with the ability to boot from USB is required. I have tried to offer a
    couple of examples that I use that can boot from USB (both chipsets and
    my USB Flash Drive works).

    Also, notice I never said anything about fdisk. The reason is because I
    don't ever use fdisk as I feel it is outdated. I think it was great you
    included that part and I never intended to attack that.

    I can see you are simply going to see me as flaming you no matter what I
    say, so just know that I never said anything that was meant to offend
    you, but merely offer more information (as well as confirmation).

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:
    > You've certainly confused me now. What do you mean re your work around?
    > Load USB drivers from a floppy to a Hard drive, then boot the system from an
    > external USB Drive, unless I am missing something pretty fundemental here I
    > don't think so. The machine will not recognise the USB drivers you load
    > until the machine is booted up using the OS on the hard drive . This is not
    > the same as booting directly from a USB HDD when the machine reads the OS
    > from the USB HDD. Surely one of the most significant reasons to boot from a
    > USB HDD is to give an alternative means to start a machine in the event of a
    > failure of the fixed HDD system.
    >
    > With regards to the rest of your post, I think I am justified to say I was
    > offended. I posted in good faith to give information to those who may be
    > trying to boot from an external USB drive. I had some problems that I
    > worked through and thought my experience may save others the same trouble I
    > had. Your post did nothing but implied I have mad it all up and that you
    > cannot boot directly from and external USB HDD. As far as I know, from my
    > searches of Google, there is not similar info available re problems of using
    > fdisk and recreating the mbr.
    >
    > I really wonder what you do when you really set out to offend :-).
    >

    > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>LOL, I never attacked the OP, nor did I mean to offend anyone. I was
    >>just adding a little side note. Yes, booting off USB devices is simple
    >>if your BIOS supports it. I don't even need a floppy drive since my
    >>computer can boot off my USB Flash Drive. You simply have to have a
    >>BIOS that supports this and set it up correctly. And just to note,
    >>there are almost always workarounds. If you needed to boot off a USB
    >>Harddrive and your BIOS does not support it, you use a floppy to load
    >>the proper drivers and boot off that harddrive (which could all be
    >>automated).
    >>
    >>Again, to the OP, it was not my intention to offend you, but to expound
    >>a little bit and offer examples.
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty

    Please reread your original post as a response to mkine. I think you may
    then understand why I and another thought you were accusing me of lying (in
    the other respondents words).

    As far as I am concerned this matter is closed.

    It is to no ones advantage to prolong this and I accept your assurance you
    did not intend to offend.

    Moving to your more recent posting that suggested, at least this is how read
    it, that notwithstanding the lack of a BIOS that allows direct booting from
    a USB HDD there is a work around so you can boot directly from a USB HDD;
    would you kindly explain further how this is done? As far as I know you
    cannot load drivers before the machine boots, so how does the machine
    recognise a USB drive during the boot process if there are no drivers?
    Further, how do you select, in the BIOS, to boot from the USB Drive if the
    BIOS does not allow this?

> [...]
    using
    > > fdisk and recreating the mbr.
    > >
    > > I really wonder what you do when you really set out to offend :-).
    > >

    > > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>LOL, I never attacked the OP, nor did I mean to offend anyone. I was
    > >>just adding a little side note. Yes, booting off USB devices is simple
    > >>if your BIOS supports it. I don't even need a floppy drive since my
    > >>computer can boot off my USB Flash Drive. You simply have to have a
    > >>BIOS that supports this and set it up correctly. And just to note,
    > >>there are almost always workarounds. If you needed to boot off a USB
    > >>Harddrive and your BIOS does not support it, you use a floppy to load
    > >>the proper drivers and boot off that harddrive (which could all be
    > >>automated).
    > >>
    > >>Again, to the OP, it was not my intention to offend you, but to expound

    I was suggesting it possible to boot off a floppy that loads the drivers
    for the external drive and then loads the OS off that external hard
    drive. There would be no way to directly boot off an external harddrive
    if the BIOS does not support it. I have not even tested loading the
    external drive's drivers and booting off it by booting off a floppy at
    startup. I have a feeling that I was just too tired and unclear in my
    posts.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:
> [...]
    >
    >>>failure of the fixed HDD system.
    >>>
    >>>With regards to the rest of your post, I think I am justified to say I
    >
    > was
    >
    >>>offended. I posted in good faith to give information to those who may
    >
    > be
    >
    >>>trying to boot from an external USB drive. I had some problems that I
    >>>worked through and thought my experience may save others the same
    >
    > trouble I
    >
    >>>had. Your post did nothing but implied I have mad it all up and that
    >
    > you
    >
    >>>cannot boot directly from and external USB HDD. As far as I know, from
    >
    > my
    >
    >>>searches of Google, there is not similar info available re problems of
    >
    > using
    >
    >>>fdisk and recreating the mbr.
    >>>
    >>>I really wonder what you do when you really set out to offend :-).

    OK we can agree upon that, but this is a long way from booting directly from
    a USB HDD.

> [...]
    the
    > > BIOS does not allow this?
    > >

    > > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I would like to hear you explain how I "implied you made it all up." I
    > >>did nothing but confirm exactly what you said. I only added that a BIOS
    > >>with the ability to boot from USB is required. I have tried to offer a
    > >>couple of examples that I use that can boot from USB (both chipsets and
    > >>my USB Flash Drive works).
    > >>
    > >>Also, notice I never said anything about fdisk. The reason is because I
    > >>don't ever use fdisk as I feel it is outdated. I think it was great you
    > >>included that part and I never intended to attack that.
    > >>
    > >>I can see you are simply going to see me as flaming you no matter what I
    > >>say, so just know that I never said anything that was meant to offend
    > >>you, but merely offer more information (as well as confirmation).

Hard Drives Windows XP