My new CPU, more like POS!!!

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
So I ordered new computer parts earlier this week from newegg.com and just started to receive the first of them today.

So the first package I opened was my cpu which is an Opteron. As soon as I opened the shipping box I saw the retail and noticed that I couldn't see the cpu in the little window on the retail box!

My first thought was "OH S#@*!". So I cut the AMD seal and opened the retail box to find ripped of pieces of green styrofoam all over inside, which apparently WAS some form of molded protective foam, but yet no cpu. Dug through some of that green garage and found the plastic case for the cpu, but no cpu still! dug through more of this stuff and found the cpu in the bottom of the box smashed up against the side of the box with the heatsink/fan firmly cramming it in place!

Yup several (bout 30) bent pins, one almost complete broken off! Looked at the heatsink and that green stuff was even more finely grinded into a green dust towards the bottom of the box with it all over and in the thermal paste on the heatsink!

This is unbelieveble and the 2ND cpu from newegg Ive had arrive like this! The first one was bout a year ago, a S754 OEM that arrive completely out of it's little case (only protection it had in the box) and bouncing around in the box!

I love newegg but I'm pretty ticked. Because it went through UPS I have to wait 3-5 days while they "investigation" where as the representive told me if it were FedEx (like the first one that was broke) it would have been sent right away. So I was even more ticked about this as I'm getting the last of the parts tomorrow! She got me next day shipping on the new one though once they do ship it and she said she would talk to the claims people to see if it could get processed faster.

So just thought I'd share my anger and frustration with you all :wink: :evil:

endyen

Splendid
Thanks.
There is a moral here for everyone. If the packaging dont look right from the outside, send it back right away.
I have a few of those boxes sitting around. When assembled, they are very sturdy. Toss them around all you like.
Seems to me there is someone in that chain that was attempting to do damage. It's probably a jealousy thing.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you sleep with the UPS guy's wife or something?

I've been lucky so far NewEgg wise and never had anything damaged so far. Sorry you are having so much trouble with them or their shippers, that is sure a bad run of luck.

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks.
There is a moral here for everyone. If the packaging dont look right from the outside, send it back right away.
I have a few of those boxes sitting around. When assembled, they are very sturdy. Toss them around all you like.
Seems to me there is someone in that chain that was attempting to do damage. It's probably a jealousy thing.

It really confused me how it happened because the retail box did not have a scratch or dent on it, inside or out and was still factory seal! The lady from newegg claims they won't have ship it if it was like that from the warehouse.

Personally I honestly doubt the warehouse workers bother to look at the parts they pack.

I really wish I had a digital camera cause it's just amazing the mess/diaster inside that box!