Asus A8V Dlx is a POS for overclocking!

Well it is if you use the onboard Via or Promise Sata.

Seems the controllers aren't protected by the pci clock lock.
As according to Asus UK tech support "it's on a different bus"
Wish I'd caught a different bloody bus now...

I wish we could unlock the multi's, oh well :(
6 answers Last reply
More about asus overclocking

    Hi, on a ver 2.0 the promise controller is protected by the pci lock, It is
    the Via that's on a different bus...
    ChrisC

    "Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, on a ver 2.0 the promise controller is protected by the pci lock, It
    > is the Via that's on a different bus...
    > ChrisC

    Hi Chris

    Are you sure? Asus tech. didn't differentiate between the two in their reply
    to my enquiry...
    Mine's a v2.0 so I'll give it a whirl...

    Cheers mate!

    > Are you sure? Asus tech. didn't differentiate between the two in their
    > reply to my enquiry...
    > Mine's a v2.0 so I'll give it a whirl...
    >
    > Cheers mate!

    I responded to this in the overclocking group, but my experience is that the
    Promise controller *is* protected. I have drives on the Promise SATA with a
    3200+ Winchester pushed to 2.4GHz. No problems. I was warned away from the
    VIA SATA for the reasons you cite.

    Hi, I'm not actually overclocking so I'm using the Via controller, which is
    faster. All the newsgroups I frequent seem to say the same thing. If you
    overclock then use the promise.....
    ChrisC

    > Hi, I'm not actually overclocking so I'm using the Via controller, which
    > is faster. All the newsgroups I frequent seem to say the same thing. If
    > you overclock then use the promise.....
    > ChrisC

    Cheers Chris and Peter

    I've swapped my drives over to the promise.
    I hope it lives up to it... ;)
    I'll see what happens in the morning on cold boot.
    Thanks again... best kind of tech support - real users!

    Yw, post up how you get on please...
    > "Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I'm not actually overclocking so I'm using the Via controller, which
    >> is faster. All the newsgroups I frequent seem to say the same thing. If
    >> you overclock then use the promise.....
    >> ChrisC
    >>

    > Cheers Chris and Peter
    >
    > I've swapped my drives over to the promise.
    > I hope it lives up to it... ;)
    > I'll see what happens in the morning on cold boot.
    > Thanks again... best kind of tech support - real users!

Asus Overclocking Bus Motherboards