Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BIOS

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 8:11:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I went into my BIOS setup to switch the computer on when phone rings, no problem! When i went back out the computer tried to boot from my second disk and consequently failed. Went back into setup and the first driver had changed from its name to 'Other Drive'. Set to Auto and it booted from the correct disk, but since then its has wiped the names off my CD RW and my DVD drive and will not reconise them on Auto.
To sume up it now auto detects my hard drive and will not detect my writer or DVD CD drivers.
I have tried every thing i can think of ihave no copy of drivers for CD ROM's and can not find then on the net.
--
Thank you Mr Alan Scott.

More about : bios

July 30, 2004 10:37:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Check your BIOS again. With regards to the 'drivers' in fact one doesn't load specific device information into BIOS. BIOS recognises only the basic device characteristics, Windows or any other operating system must load specific 'drivers' or indeed small programmes that manage the input / output instructions in order to manage more complex functionality.

As for 'auto' detection, one generally can manage this only on the event of a change in configuration and BIOS is 'updated' with the new configuration.

Should it be that your BIOS 'looses' inforamtion or 'identifies' new devices each time it loads, then it could be that the battery which provides power to the BIOS memory chip has insufficient power, so try replacing that with a new item.

"Alan Scott" wrote:

> I went into my BIOS setup to switch the computer on when phone rings, no problem! When i went back out the computer tried to boot from my second disk and consequently failed. Went back into setup and the first driver had changed from its name to 'Other Drive'. Set to Auto and it booted from the correct disk, but since then its has wiped the names off my CD RW and my DVD drive and will not reconise them on Auto.
> To sume up it now auto detects my hard drive and will not detect my writer or DVD CD drivers.
> I have tried every thing i can think of ihave no copy of drivers for CD ROM's and can not find then on the net.
> --
> Thank you Mr Alan Scott.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 11:29:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the reply i understand more about bios reconision and drivers and will replace the battery as it never has been replaced.
This happen when i first loaded the drives into the PC but some how i managed to get BIOS to reconise the drives and they kept them by name since until now.
Now it will not reconise them at all, not on the list off options if i set them as CD ROM's it says they are not compatable but have worked well on my machine for well over a year.
Should i try and up grade my BIOS as it never has bin and how 'DirrectX 9' did advise this but gave no details.
--
Thank you Mr Alan Scott.


"BAR" wrote:

> Check your BIOS again. With regards to the 'drivers' in fact one doesn't load specific device information into BIOS. BIOS recognises only the basic device characteristics, Windows or any other operating system must load specific 'drivers' or indeed small programmes that manage the input / output instructions in order to manage more complex functionality.
>
> As for 'auto' detection, one generally can manage this only on the event of a change in configuration and BIOS is 'updated' with the new configuration.
>
> Should it be that your BIOS 'looses' inforamtion or 'identifies' new devices each time it loads, then it could be that the battery which provides power to the BIOS memory chip has insufficient power, so try replacing that with a new item.
>
> "Alan Scott" wrote:
>
> > I went into my BIOS setup to switch the computer on when phone rings, no problem! When i went back out the computer tried to boot from my second disk and consequently failed. Went back into setup and the first driver had changed from its name to 'Other Drive'. Set to Auto and it booted from the correct disk, but since then its has wiped the names off my CD RW and my DVD drive and will not reconise them on Auto.
> > To sume up it now auto detects my hard drive and will not detect my writer or DVD CD drivers.
> > I have tried every thing i can think of ihave no copy of drivers for CD ROM's and can not find then on the net.
> > --
> > Thank you Mr Alan Scott.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:28:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You can also try this too:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

----
Nathan McNulty


Alan Scott wrote:
> Thanks for the reply i understand more about bios reconision and drivers and will replace the battery as it never has been replaced.
> This happen when i first loaded the drives into the PC but some how i managed to get BIOS to reconise the drives and they kept them by name since until now.
> Now it will not reconise them at all, not on the list off options if i set them as CD ROM's it says they are not compatable but have worked well on my machine for well over a year.
> Should i try and up grade my BIOS as it never has bin and how 'DirrectX 9' did advise this but gave no details.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:21:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I followed our instructions to the letter but the drive does not show up on device manager.
No queston mark no CD's.
--
Thank you Mr Alan Scott.


"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> You can also try this too:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
>
> Alan Scott wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply i understand more about bios reconision and drivers and will replace the battery as it never has been replaced.
> > This happen when i first loaded the drives into the PC but some how i managed to get BIOS to reconise the drives and they kept them by name since until now.
> > Now it will not reconise them at all, not on the list off options if i set them as CD ROM's it says they are not compatable but have worked well on my machine for well over a year.
> > Should i try and up grade my BIOS as it never has bin and how 'DirrectX 9' did advise this but gave no details.
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:23:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I followed the instructions but the drive does not show up on the device manager.
--
Thank you Mr Alan Scott.


"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> You can also try this too:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
>
> Alan Scott wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply i understand more about bios reconision and drivers and will replace the battery as it never has been replaced.
> > This happen when i first loaded the drives into the PC but some how i managed to get BIOS to reconise the drives and they kept them by name since until now.
> > Now it will not reconise them at all, not on the list off options if i set them as CD ROM's it says they are not compatable but have worked well on my machine for well over a year.
> > Should i try and up grade my BIOS as it never has bin and how 'DirrectX 9' did advise this but gave no details.
>
!