hard drive replacement

My hard drive (samsung 40gb 5400rpm) is still good but has
it's occasional problem and I'm sure it will be failing
soon. I have bought a Western Digital 40gb 7200 rpm hard
drive as a replacement but can't seem to get the hard
drive to work using the data life guard application from
Western Digital. I tried a drive to drive copy but I
think that maybe the EULA is getting in my way. I want to
use my C:drive existing image for boot up and designate it
as my new C: drive. I have a lot of applications and data
I don't want to have to reload. Help
3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive replacement

    "Carlos" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My hard drive (samsung 40gb 5400rpm) is still good but has
    > it's occasional problem and I'm sure it will be failing
    > soon. I have bought a Western Digital 40gb 7200 rpm hard
    > drive as a replacement but can't seem to get the hard
    > drive to work using the data life guard application from
    > Western Digital. I tried a drive to drive copy but I
    > think that maybe the EULA is getting in my way. I want to
    > use my C:drive existing image for boot up and designate it
    > as my new C: drive. I have a lot of applications and data
    > I don't want to have to reload. Help

    Please be a little more precise!
    - Did you set the new disk in the BIOS?
    - What happens when you boot from the new disk?
    - What messages do you get?
    - If you boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from
    www.bootdisk.com, does fdisk.exe recognise the disk?

    sorry...I did the drive to drive copy of xp after the new
    HD was formatted as a bootable drive. I disconnected the
    old HD and set the jumper to indicate as primary master.
    My bios indcated that it had recognized the new HD as the
    primary master. When I boot from the new HD the WINDOWS
    XP screen shows up like if it was ready to load windows
    but then the HD just sits there. I tried using the XP CD
    for asisted bootup the CD spins momentarily without any
    mesages or action. I haven't tried the win98 boot floopy
    to access FDISK. Is there a way to get to FDISK on XP ?

    How exactly did you do the "drive to drive" copy?

    > sorry...I did the drive to drive copy of xp after the new
    > HD was formatted as a bootable drive. I disconnected the
    > old HD and set the jumper to indicate as primary master.
    > My bios indcated that it had recognized the new HD as the
    > primary master. When I boot from the new HD the WINDOWS
    > XP screen shows up like if it was ready to load windows
    > but then the HD just sits there. I tried using the XP CD
    > for asisted bootup the CD spins momentarily without any
    > mesages or action. I haven't tried the win98 boot floopy
    > to access FDISK. Is there a way to get to FDISK on XP ?

Western Digital Hard Drives Windows XP