hard drive replacement

July 30, 2004 11:45:00 AM

My hard drive (samsung 40gb 5400rpm) is still good but has
it's occasional problem and I'm sure it will be failing
soon. I have bought a Western Digital 40gb 7200 rpm hard
drive as a replacement but can't seem to get the hard
drive to work using the data life guard application from
Western Digital. I tried a drive to drive copy but I
think that maybe the EULA is getting in my way. I want to
use my C:D rive existing image for boot up and designate it
as my new C: drive. I have a lot of applications and data
I don't want to have to reload. Help

More about : hard drive replacement

July 31, 2004 4:56:17 AM

"Carlos" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My hard drive (samsung 40gb 5400rpm) is still good but has
> it's occasional problem and I'm sure it will be failing
> soon. I have bought a Western Digital 40gb 7200 rpm hard
> drive as a replacement but can't seem to get the hard
> drive to work using the data life guard application from
> Western Digital. I tried a drive to drive copy but I
> think that maybe the EULA is getting in my way. I want to
> use my C:D rive existing image for boot up and designate it
> as my new C: drive. I have a lot of applications and data
> I don't want to have to reload. Help

Please be a little more precise!
- Did you set the new disk in the BIOS?
- What happens when you boot from the new disk?
- What messages do you get?
- If you boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from
www.bootdisk.com, does fdisk.exe recognise the disk?
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 4:56:18 AM

sorry...I did the drive to drive copy of xp after the new
HD was formatted as a bootable drive. I disconnected the
old HD and set the jumper to indicate as primary master.
My bios indcated that it had recognized the new HD as the
primary master. When I boot from the new HD the WINDOWS
XP screen shows up like if it was ready to load windows
but then the HD just sits there. I tried using the XP CD
for asisted bootup the CD spins momentarily without any
mesages or action. I haven't tried the win98 boot floopy
to access FDISK. Is there a way to get to FDISK on XP ?

July 31, 2004 10:39:49 PM

How exactly did you do the "drive to drive" copy?

!