Flash a Bios?...bootCD...?

JGM

Distinguished
May 13, 2001

In booting from a CD is it possible to Flash a Bios?......I have an Asus
board and want to update the bios but I dont use a floppy anymore so could I
just make a bootable CD and then add the AFLASH.EXE and the BIOS .ROM file
to the CD........Just wandering ?....I think this would work....any
suggestions?
JGM

--
"Oh Lord, may I be directed what to do and what to leave undone. " (Fry)

JGM wrote:

> In booting from a CD is it possible to Flash a Bios?......I have an Asus
> board and want to update the bios but I dont use a floppy anymore so could I
> just make a bootable CD and then add the AFLASH.EXE and the BIOS .ROM file
> to the CD........Just wandering ?....I think this would work....any
> suggestions?
> JGM

The procedure you propose is overly complex and could cause problems,
given you'd need to load a CD driver. Better to make a bootable CD
containing nothing but a bootable floppy image, with all required files
included in the floppy image.

From there, it will work exactly the same way as using a real floppy -
except you won't be able to save the current BIOS first, which is always
recommended.

However, if the system has a FAT partition on the hard drive(s), you can
save it there - in which case you could forget the CD and run the BIOS
update from DOS installed on the FAT partition.

HTH

P2B

Venom

"JGM" <marxymarks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In booting from a CD is it possible to Flash a Bios?......I have an Asus
> board and want to update the bios but I dont use a floppy anymore so could
> just make a bootable CD and then add the AFLASH.EXE and the BIOS .ROM file
> to the CD........Just wandering ?....I think this would work....any
> suggestions?
> JGM

Flashing from a floppy is the safest method of course.
If whatever you try fails, go to www.badflash.com

JGM wrote:
> In booting from a CD is it possible to Flash a Bios?......I have an Asus
> board and want to update the bios but I dont use a floppy anymore so could I
> just make a bootable CD and then add the AFLASH.EXE and the BIOS .ROM file
> to the CD........Just wandering ?....I think this would work....any
> suggestions?
> JGM

Yes, it is possible, though somewhat of a pain, and it's by far easiest
if you have access to a machine with a floppy and a burner. Basically,
you create the BIOS floppy as usual, then use Nero, etc. to create a
boot CD with the floppy as the source for the boot image..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada