Hard Drive Failure

I cannot boot my hard drive. I connected another hard
drive which wasn't working to my pc to try repair it. Once
i removed it my own PC wont boot. I've tried using the
Recovery Console to fix the boot sector and the master
boot record, which have had no effect. I've tried using a
bootable floppy to boot windows but that didnt work
either.
I am getting a replacement hard drive. Is there any way I
can get the data from my old one ? I've run chkdsk on it
and it passed. I can see the data on it in recovery
console but can't access it ( getting access is denied
message ). If i change my hard drive to a slave, and use
a MS DOS boot disk - could I access the files on the hard
drive then ?

pegasus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001

"Kevin Daly" <kevin.daly@prudential.com> wrote in message
> I cannot boot my hard drive. I connected another hard
> drive which wasn't working to my pc to try repair it. Once
> i removed it my own PC wont boot. I've tried using the
> Recovery Console to fix the boot sector and the master
> boot record, which have had no effect. I've tried using a
> bootable floppy to boot windows but that didnt work
> either.
> I am getting a replacement hard drive. Is there any way I
> can get the data from my old one ? I've run chkdsk on it
> and it passed. I can see the data on it in recovery
> console but can't access it ( getting access is denied
> message ). If i change my hard drive to a slave, and use
> a MS DOS boot disk - could I access the files on the hard
> drive then ?

Your post is a little light on details:
- Why can't you boot?
- How far does the process go?
- What messages do you get?
- What exactly is your "bootable floppy"
- Did you run the diagnostic program that your
hard disk manufacturer makes freely available on his home site?

About booting with an MS DOS disk: yes, you could access your
files although you might require ntfsdos.exe. However, you will see
short file names only.

After resolving this issue, you might want to think about moving
from the group of people who never back up their important files,
to the group who back them up weekly to a removable medium.
Disk space is cheap these days!