can you use a wireless repeater/access point in place of a..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 16, 2005 2:59:13 PM

My WiFi card will not install. I have a broadband router and a DWL-800AP+
wireless repeater/access point and as an alternative I tried to connect my 2
PC's by physically connecting the DWL-800AP+ to the ethernet card in
computer #2 with no success. Can this be made to work this way or is this
attempt doomed to failure?

Thanks a lot.
January 16, 2005 5:42:24 PM

"David Leslie" <dwleslie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My WiFi card will not install. I have a broadband router and a DWL-800AP+
> wireless repeater/access point and as an alternative I tried to connect my
> 2 PC's by physically connecting the DWL-800AP+ to the ethernet card in
> computer #2 with no success. Can this be made to work this way or is this
> attempt doomed to failure?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Probably doomed to failure. You need to have the option to use the AP as a
client such as you can with the DWL-700AP. I use a DWL-700AP as a client
with a linux box because I haven't had time to figure out how to get a
wireless USB adaptor to work with it and it works fine.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 16, 2005 6:54:58 PM

Hmm - that's a thought. I might see if I can change it to a 700AP with a
firmware change.

Thanks