can you use a wireless repeater/access point in place of a..

My WiFi card will not install. I have a broadband router and a DWL-800AP+
wireless repeater/access point and as an alternative I tried to connect my 2
PC's by physically connecting the DWL-800AP+ to the ethernet card in
computer #2 with no success. Can this be made to work this way or is this
attempt doomed to failure?

Thanks a lot.
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless repeater access point place

    "David Leslie" <dwleslie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My WiFi card will not install. I have a broadband router and a DWL-800AP+
    > wireless repeater/access point and as an alternative I tried to connect my
    > 2 PC's by physically connecting the DWL-800AP+ to the ethernet card in
    > computer #2 with no success. Can this be made to work this way or is this
    > attempt doomed to failure?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Probably doomed to failure. You need to have the option to use the AP as a
    client such as you can with the DWL-700AP. I use a DWL-700AP as a client
    with a linux box because I haven't had time to figure out how to get a
    wireless USB adaptor to work with it and it works fine.

    Hmm - that's a thought. I might see if I can change it to a 700AP with a
    firmware change.

    Thanks

    "Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > "David Leslie" <dwleslie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> My WiFi card will not install. I have a broadband router and a DWL-800AP+
    >> wireless repeater/access point and as an alternative I tried to connect
    >> my 2 PC's by physically connecting the DWL-800AP+ to the ethernet card in
    >> computer #2 with no success. Can this be made to work this way or is this
    >> attempt doomed to failure?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot.
    >>
    > Probably doomed to failure. You need to have the option to use the AP as
    > a client such as you can with the DWL-700AP. I use a DWL-700AP as a
    > client with a linux box because I haven't had time to figure out how to
    > get a wireless USB adaptor to work with it and it works fine.

Wireless Wireless Networking