Asus P4C800E-deluxe & Zalman CNPS7700 w/fanmate2 system

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2005 11:54:48 PM

My question that I can't find properly answered yet and still awaiting
an answer from Zalman is the following:
Can the CNPS7700 heatsink/fan be used without the fanmate2 control
system without any danger to my motherboard. I am currently getting
max rpm's of 1700 with the fanmate2 installed. Would the max rpm's
increase with a direct connect to the motherboard's cpu fan header?
The max wattage for my motherboard's cpu header is rated at 8.88
Watts. What is the max wattage the 7700 pulls under this type
condition? Has anyone tried this and what was your results cooling
wise on processor temps. I am running a Prescott 3.0 and trying to
keep processor temps as low as possible with conventional means.
thanks for any help,
Smooks
January 26, 2005 5:01:55 AM

In article <nh1ev0pf39muqovo0s7n4v0t38a79s8gqg@4ax.com>, Smooks
<smooks@nowhere.com> wrote:

> My question that I can't find properly answered yet and still awaiting
> an answer from Zalman is the following:
> Can the CNPS7700 heatsink/fan be used without the fanmate2 control
> system without any danger to my motherboard. I am currently getting
> max rpm's of 1700 with the fanmate2 installed. Would the max rpm's
> increase with a direct connect to the motherboard's cpu fan header?
> The max wattage for my motherboard's cpu header is rated at 8.88
> Watts. What is the max wattage the 7700 pulls under this type
> condition? Has anyone tried this and what was your results cooling
> wise on processor temps. I am running a Prescott 3.0 and trying to
> keep processor temps as low as possible with conventional means.
> thanks for any help,
> Smooks

This article says the fan is 0.35 amps at 12V input, meaning
if the fan is connected directly to the motherboard, that
is how much current will be drawn. I guess that is 4.2 watts.

And no, I don't understand the Asus fan header spec. When
they say 350ma~740ma, are they saying that is minimum to
maximum ? Or are they saying if one header uses more current,
the others must use less ?

That spec seems to get copied from manual to manual, and I've
even seen cases where a motherboard with two fan headers,
carries the same spec seen in your manual, which is intended for
three fan headers. Which means the Asus tech writers could
care less.

I have a Zalman 7000 connected directly to my P4C800-E fan
header, but as that silentpcreview article points out, the
header is in no danger from the 7000. I keep Q-fan disabled,
and run the fan at full speed. It is still quieter than the
other fans on my case.

You can purchase adapter kits, which allow powering a fan from
a disk drive connector, while still making the yellow tacho wire
available for connection to the CPU fan header. With the tacho
wire in place, that will keep the BIOS happy, in terms of seeing
a tachometer signal from the fan.

This kit contains two adapters, and has a male and a female
fan connector on each adapter. One fan connector goes to the
fan, and the connector with one wire on it, goes to the CPU
fan header. The only thing missing from this product, is each
adapter only has one drive connector, so the adapters cannot
be daisy-chained:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?descripti...

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 8:36:49 PM

"Smooks" <smooks@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My question that I can't find properly answered yet and still awaiting
> an answer from Zalman is the following:
> Can the CNPS7700 heatsink/fan be used without the fanmate2 control
> system without any danger to my motherboard. I am currently getting
> max rpm's of 1700 with the fanmate2 installed. Would the max rpm's
> increase with a direct connect to the motherboard's cpu fan header?
> The max wattage for my motherboard's cpu header is rated at 8.88
> Watts. What is the max wattage the 7700 pulls under this type
> condition? Has anyone tried this and what was your results cooling
> wise on processor temps. I am running a Prescott 3.0 and trying to
> keep processor temps as low as possible with conventional means.
> thanks for any help,
> Smooks

Turn off Q-Fan in the BIOS. With the Fanmate2 and Q-Fan disabled, 1700RPM is
actually just slightly up from absolute minimum. You probably don't want to
run the fan at full speed, it's pretty noisy.

- Daniel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2005 1:42:10 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:01:55 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <nh1ev0pf39muqovo0s7n4v0t38a79s8gqg@4ax.com>, Smooks
><smooks@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> My question that I can't find properly answered yet and still awaiting
>> an answer from Zalman is the following:
>> Can the CNPS7700 heatsink/fan be used without the fanmate2 control
>> system without any danger to my motherboard. I am currently getting
>> max rpm's of 1700 with the fanmate2 installed. Would the max rpm's
>> increase with a direct connect to the motherboard's cpu fan header?
>> The max wattage for my motherboard's cpu header is rated at 8.88
>> Watts. What is the max wattage the 7700 pulls under this type
>> condition? Has anyone tried this and what was your results cooling
>> wise on processor temps. I am running a Prescott 3.0 and trying to
>> keep processor temps as low as possible with conventional means.
>> thanks for any help,
>> Smooks
>
>This article says the fan is 0.35 amps at 12V input, meaning
>if the fan is connected directly to the motherboard, that
>is how much current will be drawn. I guess that is 4.2 watts.
>
>http://www.silentpcreview.com/article209-page2.html
>
>And no, I don't understand the Asus fan header spec. When
>they say 350ma~740ma, are they saying that is minimum to
>maximum ? Or are they saying if one header uses more current,
>the others must use less ?
>
>That spec seems to get copied from manual to manual, and I've
>even seen cases where a motherboard with two fan headers,
>carries the same spec seen in your manual, which is intended for
>three fan headers. Which means the Asus tech writers could
>care less.
>
>I have a Zalman 7000 connected directly to my P4C800-E fan
>header, but as that silentpcreview article points out, the
>header is in no danger from the 7000. I keep Q-fan disabled,
>and run the fan at full speed. It is still quieter than the
>other fans on my case.
>
>You can purchase adapter kits, which allow powering a fan from
>a disk drive connector, while still making the yellow tacho wire
>available for connection to the CPU fan header. With the tacho
>wire in place, that will keep the BIOS happy, in terms of seeing
>a tachometer signal from the fan.
>
>This kit contains two adapters, and has a male and a female
>fan connector on each adapter. One fan connector goes to the
>fan, and the connector with one wire on it, goes to the CPU
>fan header. The only thing missing from this product, is each
>adapter only has one drive connector, so the adapters cannot
>be daisy-chained:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?descripti...
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul,

I received an email from Zalman stating that the fanmate can be
bypassed and the most wattage the 7700 will use would be 6.0 or less.
I directly connected it and gained appx 100 rpm of fan speed and
lowered the cpu temp by 2C.
thanks for all your info.
Smooks
!